Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

45cc Homelite won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 45cc Homelite won't start

Hi guys. I converted a 45cc Homey from a chainsaw for my Cap-21. I bought the saw new, and used it for about 1 1/2 hours before stripping it and converting it. It started easy and ran great in the saw. Now, 6 months later here is my CAP ready to be test ran. I filled the tank, choked it and flipped the prop a few times to get fuel. I hand propped it for a while and never a single pop. About then a buddy shows up (who's pretty knowledgeable on these things) and we took out the plug, and grounded it to the head. No spark is visible when it's propped. If I put on my Dynatron and spin it, it will spark but a very weak spark to say the least. The Dynatron will not turn this engine very well at 12 volt. I could go 24, but trying to avoid the expense right now. Should this be so hard to start? I was envisioning an easy to start engine. Does it need fairly fast RPM to get a decent spark? Could my module be bad? Can i get a hotter module for it? This is the new style Homey, and I had to make a carb adapter for it. Do the 'old' style Homey 45s start easier?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:22 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 45cc Homelite won't start

Put Electronic Ignition on it and it will hand start good. I have a 46cc poulan with CH on it and it will start on the 3rd swing almost every time. Or it does on test stand i have not put it on a plane yet. It does not have syncro spark on it but it still cranks great.

smallplanes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Deadeye

I'd really like to avoid the weight (and cost) of an electronic ignition. After posting my question, I did some looking around. I wonder if the jump start kit from CH would do the trick? That's half the cost of the ignition.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Nobody's electronic igntion is heavier than the stock mag....
Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Ch has a ignition with out syncro spark for $89.95 . Or you can get one from RC Ignitions for a little less i think. Ralph is right its lighter with EI on it.

smallplanes
Old 02-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Deadeye

I found a small gel cell 12 volt battery from a UPS battery backup. I wired it to my exsisting field box battery and hooked up the Dynatron. POP POP BANG! She fired up in less than 2 seconds. Problem solved, lesson learned, and I did it without spending more money. I'm sure glad I replace my old starter with the Dynatron for 'future projects'. At 24 volts, that thing is pretty damn torquey.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:32 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can run 24 volts on most of the 12 volt starters. You just have to use common sense and not run it too long at a time.

I had an old Ford truck that was 6 Volt. I wanted to convert it to 12 volts. I went to the auto parts to buy a 12 volt starter. The counter person told me that the part number for the Ford 6 volt and 12 volt starters was the same. That was 45 years ago. I used the truck for 10 more years with the 6 volt starter in it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Deadeye

I did not know that, w8ye. Thanks for that bit of info.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:21 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I once had a similar experience with my VW dune buggy. I used a six volt starter with a 12 volt system for years with no problems. It sounds weird, but the windings in a 6 volt starter are actually heavier for the higher amperage encountered in a 6 volt system. It takes "x" amount of work to turn a motor over. If you have less volts, it will take more amps to do the same work, hence the heavier windings.

av8tor
Old 03-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deadeye,

I had the same problem with the 33cc engine, which is very similar. You have to have the prop in the right position, about 11:30, and give it a good fast flip with follow-through, and it should fire. Also, I was trying to start mine in cold weather using 32:1 mix, but 50:1 works better. Once you get the technique they start pretty easy and run nice.

The Homelite chainsaw engines require a faster flip compared to their weedie engines to get a spark. I've always wondered if that was for safety reasons.

Jim
Old 03-01-2005, 10:03 PM
hackken

Another trick to try is to regap the spark plug down to 12 or 15 thousands of an inch instead of the 20 or 30 thousands that is usually specified. Most engines are not too critical regarding the spark plug gap. This will give you a spark at a lower cranking speed.