Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Can I use this engine(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:26 AM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use this engine(s)

I am looking to build a Piper Cub and I wanted to know of some good kits OR arf's that use a "weed eater" engine, I have a few weed whackers layin around and thought of putting one to use. Is using one of these engines pretty simple or do they require modding? I saw a site on here hat shows some mods on a homelite but it was in spanish, and I dont speak spanish, lol. Anyway I know these engines probably arent the most powerful but I want to put it in a cub, I dont see the need to prophang a cub, although IT MIGHT JUST BE FUNNY, or dangerous but I also wanted to be able to use my electronics, which are standard size 3004 futaba servos. I wont be doing any major aerobatics, mabey a roll or loop but thats bout it, plus I think thats the cubs limit, my small ones hate any any wannabe 3d crap, and they bite back when I try. I love cubs, I know some hate them but I have flown a few real ones and I fell in love with the stupid yellow b@st@rds, anyway, any input is appreiciated, I just want a giant lazy plane, I leave the speed to my DYNAMIC 400 on 6 cell lipo crack!, thanx, mike
Old 03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can I use this engine(s)

rcfaq.com should have a couple more conversion pages but even more info is right here in this forum. do some searches or just go through the threads at random and you'll get all the info you need.

also let us know what weedies you have for conversion

dave
Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 PM
platero

Dear amdhotprocessor
You can see my web, like you said this is in spanish but lot of photos, as soon as I can I will put the english version, I am working in it.
http://www.hpignitions.com.ar/reform...lite_25_cc.htm
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 PM
smokingcrater

personally I wouldn't trust any plane capable of flying a weedy to standard 3004 servos... torque requirements might not be much higher, but gassers tend to vibrate MUCH more strongly, just the bouncing from the torque can strip servos.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With just the Homelite weed whacker size planes, you need to use at least two standard servos on the elevator(s) and the rest, at a minimum can be standard servos. A single heavy duty servo works good on the elevator too.

The old Hitec 300 series servos and marginal pots in them and if around much vibration, the potentiometers would fail.

Most often a potentiometer failing due to vibration gives warning signs. In the beginning, the servos will be noisy around the neutral point. Then they get to where the neutral point is never exacttly the same. Then they get to where they seem to work slowly and may or may not get to the correct position. This is too late?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I've been using standard Airtronics (94102) & Futaba (3004) servos for several years in gassers with no problems. I do use a high torque servo for elevator. I use one standard servo per aileron and one standard per flap. These servos on 4.8 volts produce around 40 oz. torque, works well for me.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 PM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

thank yall