Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Running engine backwards

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running engine backwards

I am converting a McCulloch 32cc (I think) for a 1/4 lanier extra (presently using a G23). The engine is stripped and lightnened. It is of course a double shaft engine. What I would like to do is run it CC from the opposite side shaft. The reason being, the shaft that would normally run it CC is small in Diameter and has a reverse thread, (difficult to put a prop adapter on) The opposite side shaft has a better taper and RH threads. My question is, except for ignition timing (am going to use C&H CDI) will the engine run ok like this. BTW the engine is piston ported. Rotating the engine while looking at the intake and exhaust ports I don't see a problem. Please correct me if I"m wrong. Thanks, red
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Running engine backwards

Sounds pretty good if you can set up your adaptors.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17 AM
sides7
My Feedback: (9)

I have a long range plan to build a big twin. How difficult is it to convert an engine to run backwards so that one engine runs CW & one runs CCW? I'm thinking of either the Poulan 46cc or the Homelite 45cc . Would one be prefered over the other for this project? Is there a real advantage to having them run opposite directions? Just some questions that come to mind when thinking about this project. I hope someone can give me some help on this one?
Sides7
Old 03-30-2005, 11:40 AM
RunningMan

The big problem will be finding a prop for the backwards engine.

Steve
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
sides7
My Feedback: (9)

Steve
I was thinking that a "pusher" prop could be used on the backwards running engine. Would this not work? If no, then I have no idea where to get a backwards prop unless I can have one custom made.
Sides7
Old 03-31-2005, 11:05 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

Pusher prop won't work, as the trailing edge of the prop will be leading. and will lose power. red.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Yes, pusher props will work on the counter rotating engine in a twin setup. That was what I going to do with a gasser setup for a friend's P-61 project, but he decided to go the conventional route and adjust the thrust angle to compensate.

The main concern with CW running an engine is usually loosening of the right-hand threaded crankshaft. You can solve that by using red Loctite. IF the engine is a short shaft (both Poulan 46 and Homie 45 are) then you can always tap the prop bolt (or stud) with a RH thread so you can put a regular spinner nut on it. Personally, I would keep the prop shaft the same LH thread for better prop retension, as it is much more important than how to attach a spinner. You can always figure a way to do that.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:40 AM
RunningMan

Well, the selection of pushers is pretty sparse compared to conventional props. Might want to look around before commiting time and money to see if a suitable matching pair can be found.

Steve