Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Engine Conversion for $$ savings ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Conversion for $$ savings ??

I am just getting into gas engines for WWI planes and like tinkering with engines, making parts and wondered if most convert to save money or just for the fun of "building their own engine"

If you can buy a Zenoah 26 for $240, I cannot figure out how there is much savings. Thought I might start with a factory engine and maybe convert later unless their is improved performance or some other reason for converting. Looks like you might get a bigger displacement engine for the same $$. Converting does seem like a fun project.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 PM
CiprianGugu
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Engine Conversion for $$ savings ??

ORIGINAL: flipstart

I am just getting into gas engines for WWI planes and like tinkering with engines, making parts and wondered if most convert to save money or just for the fun of "building their own engine"

If you can buy a Zenoah 26 for $240, I cannot figure out how there is much savings. Thought I might start with a factory engine and maybe convert later unless their is improved performance or some other reason for converting. Looks like you might get a bigger displacement engine for the same $$. Converting does seem like a fun project.
I am trying to get into gas too, and I am going with a conversion engine because I can save some money AND I like messing with engines.

I can get a ready converted Ryobi 31cc engine for $135, but I will go another way. I buy a weed eater from Harbor Freight for $50, and I convert it myself. The total would be less than $135. And just think at the satisfaction just to see an engine that you converted fly. Fun, Fun, Fun.

C~
Old 04-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Flip, I already told you about my 25cc conversion for around 40.00. How is the Albatros? I am almost finished with mine, when I do get it done I will post the pictures. It will not look as good as yours ( am just dont have the eye for detail) but it will be fun.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:10 PM
flipstart

Hey propnut-now you know you got a special deal-cannot find these $50 deals that everyone claims are out there. Albatros first flight was awesome-long take off on purpose, climbed out nice, took one click of right aileron to trim, no elevator trim was required for level flight at 3/4 throttle. Landed with about 20% power, drops fast if you cut the throttle to idle. Love the way it flies , really scale, at about 1/2 throttle. No complaints-using Saito 91 with APC 15/6 and get 8000 rpm-so may switch to 15/4W. Sorry to interepe this thread but just had to update prop nut on Albatros. Send me a PM or email if you want more details.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

$50 deals are all over, Harbor Freight Ryobis and Cummings traveling tool sales for Homelites, and small engine shops with back rooms full of old discarded weed eaters..Just takes a little searching...Some are free....
Old 04-03-2005, 12:54 AM
farley9n

Don't forget ebay. Myself and others consistantly list and sell good used engines at less than $50.
Just my 2-cents worth.......
Old 04-09-2005, 11:04 PM
platero

Converting a engine is a fun job, if you like it, I have a Extra 300S 1/3 with a 3W 100, but I love my converted engines they are almost my sons, take a look to my site, is in spanish but a lot of photos.

http://www.hpignitions.com.ar/reform...lite_25_cc.htm
It was an adventure with great results 16x8 prop at 8500rpm.... good luck