Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 PM
acemcduck
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worth the effort?

Looking for input from the wealth of knowledge here (I've been lurking awhile and I know its here). I've been given a Homelite ST100 trimmer and put enough effort in it to get it running. It will not start by hand and is not easy to start with a drill. I need to rework my test stand a little to safely get a good tach reading but it seems to spin the MA 16-8 pretty well even though the carb setting is still way off. I guess my question is, has anyone tackled this engine before and is it worth the effort. I'm sure a fresh plug and a carb kit will help but is it always going to be a pain to start. Also, to be useful on a plane I will have to turn down the crank to remove the extended shaft out the rear of the engine. Will this throw balance out the window?

Hopefully my pics will show up.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42804.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	348910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49540.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	348911  
Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Worth the effort?

Free .99? Convert.
The carb setting will make it start better. These usually need a good prime anyway to flip start.I hacked off the back shaft on my 33cc Poulan with no balance effect as it is on the centerline. I went glow on mine and it produced a substantial power increase. APC 18-10 at 7800 and 20-6 at 7400.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:31 PM
acemcduck

Thanks for the input.
Its so close to hand starting now, pops nearly every time but just won't pick up and go. My boat drill has died after a couple of sessions, it was on its last legs anyway.

What kind of run time should I expect if I convert to glow (oz/min)? I was going to use this in a scratch built "mule" and fuel space is not unlimited. [8D]
Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A 14 oz tank should give you 15 min and reserve?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 PM
acemcduck

Worth the effort? You better believe it! If my tach is anywhere near correct this thing is pretty awesome. Its reading 8400 with a 15-8 prop and idle of 2000 right now but I believe lower might be achieved with more tuning. This could be really addictive! Hand starting still isn't happening but I "repaired" the boat drill and it just takes a touch. One note of concern is a really pronounced vibration between 3500 and 5K. It smoothes out very nice above that and I hoping its just a characteristic of the way its mounted for testing (long aluminum angles). Now to cut off the excess shaft at the rear and come up with an exhaust the neighbors can live with.
Thanks guys.
Dave