Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Homelite 33cc saws on sale at Home Depot for $80

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Homelite 33cc saws on sale at Home Depot for $80

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Homelite 33cc saws on sale at Home Depot for $80

I picked one up at home depot today and it took about 10 min to strip it down other than the clutch which wasn't coming easily. And before anyone gets excited, yes, I see that it is a reverse thread. Turning it in the proper direction nothing happened. I upped the tool size and force until the crank actually snapped. I went back to home depot and got a second one that came right off with a good twist.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Homelite 33cc saws on sale at Home Depot for $80

Stopped there today, none around. Price lable on rack said $129.99. Wished I could have found one. They do still have 4 more of the McCulloch/Ryobi 31cc weedies though.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Gofli
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one for 129 is the 16" bar version with case. The one on sale was normally 100, and has a 14" bar. I forget which is the bandit and which is the ranger, but the longer bar and case are definitely not needed on a plane!! I have one from a used saw donor flying a 13lb Lazy Ace bipe.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In general....the longer the bar a chainsaw has....it also has more power to cut. That means more power to fly! Capt,n
Old 02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Gofli
My Feedback: (7)

capn,

In this case, the two homelites are the same engine. Apparantly there is a version thats all red, that has the coil mounted to the saw case rather than the engine. The ones with the black top have eng mounted coil, and are easier to convert, provided you intend to use the coil...if not, I guess it doesnt matter.

edited: I thot the all red ones were a newer model, w8ye set me straight!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The red top Homelites must have come out in 2003? My Timberman red top was made in December 2003. I like it better as a chainsaw than my black top timberman.

But like was said, the black top is better for converting.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 AM
subarubrat

The one I bought was the 33cc BANDIT Homelite saw. It has a red side and a black body. It comes in a cardboard box without any accesories or frills. Just the way I like it, $80 still as of yesterday at the Warrenton VA Home Depot.

I am getting ready to chase down a GX35 for this Balsa USA triplane that is my Valentines day present (hopefully...)

Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ones I've been using are the 14" "Bandit" saws. $80 sounds like a great buy![sm=thumbup.gif]

Jim
Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

There is no difference in the engines between the 14" Bandit and the 16" Ranger saw. You guys are going to want to ditch the stock carb though and get a rotator manifold. You can't adjust them without cutting them up. They are 11 mm venturi which is adequate, but I really like using a 12.7mm venturi carb on these engines. I have been running them on the WT644 which is the carb the Weed wacker boat guys like to use.

$80.00 is a great deal on this saw. You cant even buy the bare short block for that! I bought out the entire pallet of them. I convert them and sell them so I take advantage of a good deal when I find one.