Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

27cc stihl

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
foamcut
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 27cc stihl

You might want to read the 43 page thread on gas / glow conversions. If you get rid of that flywheel and coil you can save a lb immediately as well as eliminate the gyroscopic effect of all that rotating mass. Just my opinion...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can put electronic ignition on it and get rid of the heavy flywheel ect, it will fly better. Is there any things you can change or trim off the airplane itself to make it lite? That all helps. I glad you had a good flight with it. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 AM
tstotts

Been wanting to try a stihl. How is the weight. Is it a heavy engine compared to others.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i flew the cap today it flew well had good power for normal aerobatics not a chance in the world on hovering or vertical pulls it weighs in at 13 lbs
I think you will find that a gas engine will produce about 1/2 pound of thrust per cc without exotic tuning.

Bill
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
icando3d2
My Feedback: (15)

guys sorry hadnt been able to post on here in a while have been working the Dyno Job hard core lately too many people have too much cash to spend on go fast goodies, the plane was a pleasure to fly first yea the cap had some snap to it for full deflection, some prop research would make it fly alot better but all i had was a 13x6 apc i think it was so it wasnt out of the world powerfull i was a little disapointed. the engine again was quieter than i thought too that was not expected but was nice to work around. i had some issues with the carb getting too little or too much air in it i think the air was going by it too fast taking away the low pressure area around the venturi and not allowing a air flow into it but that was taken care of with a little cowl work. thanks guys for all the input on this and a little input on an ignition system i would love to hear about thanks. chris