Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Conversion to Reed Induction

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion to Reed Induction

I have a nice little Tanaka 26cc that I'd I'd like to convert to reed induction. I know that O'Neill Brothers racing has a reed kit for over a hundred dollars but I don't want to spend that much on an engine I got for free. In any case, I don't want to mount the reed to the stock intake but to the bottom of the c/case. This would also carry a K&B .60 carb. This one was chosen because the bore in the barrel is the same as the Walbro's that came with the engine.

I was hoping that there was a commercial, weedie type engine that had reed induction. I have the tools to do this, just need that reed assembly.

My Tanaka is being converted to diesel. It will also carry a head for a glow plug AND another head for a spark plug.

Yes, the various fuels will have differing air demands and that's the point in using a standard RC carb. New barrels can be made to experiment and optimize the throttle for the various fuels.

In any case, I DID do an extensive search for a few hours on Google, RCU and other search facilities. Closest was a reed set for a 40cc something or other. I am considering this one as I'm thinking that too much intake can't be a bad thing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66252.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	598658  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
BME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Conversion to Reed Induction

Try a Echo CS 280 reed.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:06 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ryobi 31cc is a reed engine, and cheap. I doubt if it would flow as well as the Echo reed Keith mentioned however, though it would probably flow as much as a .60 size glow engine carb is capable of flowing....

AV8TOR
Old 01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, this gives me a starting point. One of my notions is to fill in the Sideport intake with JB Weld and then, cut a boost port just like we have with a stock, model engine. The Tanaka, with all the extraneous stuff taken out, leaves us with a very neat and utilitarian crankcase that is robust but quite light. I really like the four bolt cylinder not to mention the four bolt backmount arrangement. The engine bolts directly to the firewall with no extra plate or mount needed. Light and firm. All the parts come to 32 ounces, give or take.

I'm normally an itty bitty engine guy, love the little beasts and lately, we've been playing with diesel. Along with Biodiesel. Biodiesel burns like diesel but has a much higher viscosity and a very slippery feel to it. I've run 100% Biodiesel in a Norvel .15 and it ran an held up well. EXCEPT the rod, which is plain bushed and this is not unexpected but I was hoping. Stuffing a fully needled rod into a small engine like the .15 proved to by not doable so the next step in this experiment of running 100% Biodiesel with no added oil for lubrication was to use an engine that DID have bearings on the rod. Gassers fit the bill perfectly.

Not to say that I don't like the big stuff, I had one of the very first Quadras several million years ago and built a Big Stik for it. The guys thought I was crazy. No more eh?

In any case, will be posting results of this work as we go along. Many thanks, again.