Carb on Homelite 25cc problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:49 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb on Homelite 25cc problems

Hello all-

I figured this is the place to go for 2-stroke expertise! I have a cheap homelite 25cc weedwacker and I live in the wonderful state of CA. Needless to say, this is not a plane question, but since I can't bolt a G62 to the weed wacker, I have a question I thought someone here could answer.

Thanks to our state government, the carb is set so lean that the engine has to run on half choke constantly to even run. It has these ridiculous child proof plastic things over the needles, so I can't easily adjust them. Is it possible to just break them off so I can get a the needles, or should I just replace the carb entirely? If so, anyone know a cheap source for a carb for the 25cc homelite?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-
Sean
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Carb on Homelite 25cc problems

Grab hold of the plastic limit adjustmet with needle nose pliers, and pull it strait off the end of needles. There you will discover slots for a screw-driver. The ones I see are like that anyway!!! Capt,n
Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
seanucd2000

Right on, I was hoping it would be that easy. I just didn't want to break them.

Thanks!!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Some of the carbs are made with extra fine threads on the needles so the normal 1 1/2 or so needle settings are way lean...The first Poulan 46s I converted about 4 years ago were like that, almost 4 turns out to run right....Some have no slots in the needles when you take the plastic covers off, you might have to make your own...
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Slots that is,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-11-2007, 04:15 PM
seanucd2000

Wow, thank you so much for the advice! I knew someone in here would have the answer. I ripped those things off and found both screws. It took a little more force than I had planned, but they came off. I opened both a turn to get started, then tuned it. and WOW did it run better! It actually idled correctly, and it even ran with the choke off. No kidding, it would only stay running at half choke before. Its like a whole new trimmer.

I'm going to get into gassers one of these days and dump my glow engines. I am building a Meister P47 and have a 3W80 for it, but it'll be some time before I finish it. I need to find a nice inexpensive gasser to get me started in the mean time.

Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just can't understand how an engine running in a lean misfire condition could possibly put out less smog than a properly tuned engine. Every time the engine misfires, a slug of completely unburnt fuel, or partially burnt fuel goes out the exhaust. A properly tuned engine burns the fuel optimally.

I sure wish one of the Feds could explain that to me...

One of my mechanic apprentices once did an experiment at his college. They took all the smog measurements on a car, and then removed all smog equipment and tuned the engine to run properly. Yep, you guessed it; upon re-checking the smog measurements it had LESS emissions than before.

AV8TOR
Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
seanucd2000

Yeah, me either. My favorite though is these "fume recapture" gas cans you have to buy here in CA. They are so cumbersome and they don't even work. You literally spill several ounces of fuel each time you fill up the mower etc. Last time I was up in Reno NV, I just went to the local store and bought a dozen normal gas can spouts. I gave them to my dad and neighbors, and they thought I was a god. I'll never understand it either. In the meantime though, I think I'll go re-weedwack the yard! I am so excited that trimmer runs!!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

It's about the money.

The smog business generates a ton of money.
It keeps people going back to the dealed.
Smog certificates puts money in the states pockets.

A stock 55 Chevy puts out less smog than a newer smog car.
If the goverment was serious about smog it would, Time stop lights in town to keep trafic flowing.
Limit jet aircraft landings at airports. They burn a ton of fuel on take off.
And diesel would be the most popular fuel.

Again it's about the money, not common sence.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, every time I see a factory belching out tons of smoke, or a forest fire, or a shuttle launch, I think "Yep, it's my car and my weedeater that are causing smog and global warming..... Yeah right....

[]

AV8TOR
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
ernest2

hi! i have also a question on what is a good carb replacement for homelite 25. the carb i have have no adjustment on the high speed, so its running really lean and kind of overheating (spit test shows it, instantly vaporized). i wonder what will be a good and cheap carb. wt-644? zama c1u? (thats waht i have seen on ebay thats cheap enough.
thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Ryobi Coyote

Ernest2, OK, you need a cheap carb. My van will not let me pass a small-engine repair shop, and me and the van always wind up in the parking lot. I go inside, donate a couple of pesos to the coffee-and-donuts fund, and walk out with a load of “dead” chainsaws, weedies, leaf blowers, etc. To me it’s gold. To them it’s junk that they have to pay for hauling to a recycle center. I do it gratis, and even help keep their coffee pot happy. In short order, I ran out of room to store my treasure. I had lots of good carbs and even complete engines. So if you can do this, just look over your collection and see if you have a two-needle carb with the same basic configuration as the OEM carb. OK, you only need one carb...that should be easy. I hope this helps you. One warning: Once you get started, this can get addictive, and you will have more engines than you know what to do with. [X(]

R.C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69457.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	652596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36281.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	652597  
Old 03-30-2007, 06:29 AM
ROOSTERLEW

and you will have more engines than you know what to do with.
I have an address you can send those excessive Ryobis to...just trying to be helpful!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:48 AM
ernest2

well i have actually bought a new carb. wt-305 i think and i cant fire my engine.