Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Jerry's Big Boy/Homelite 33cc success!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerry's Big Boy/Homelite 33cc success!

Well, this was my first conversion and I will have to say that I couldn't be happier with the plane/engine combo. I got my ranger saw from Cummins Tools for $79 refurbished and used Wacker Engines mounts, prop hub, velocity stack and muffler. The conversion itself was very easy-turning down the flywheel and balancing was the only step that required much effort but in the end, the motor runs very smoothly. I am turning a Xoar 18x6 (haven't tached it yet) and the combo will hover the Big Boy at less than 1/2 throttle!! I chose the Big Boy for its wing area and light weight and although this engine weighs much more than the typical 1.20 glow that most would use, the plane doesn't even know it. Landings are very slow and solid and you can fly around like a glider at idle. I increased the tail surfaces by 160% for more control and am using pull-pull on elev. rudder mounted in the tail. This plane does great rolling harriers and torque rolls yet could be used as a trainer as well. I took 3" off of the firewall and made up my own mounts along with pinning for added strength. I am using Futaba 3010's all around with a Hitec 645 for the rudder on 6v. I am extremely happy in every way with this combo!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54131.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	637091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23100.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	637092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57668.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	637093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44942.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	637094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84913.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	637095  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Jerry's Big Boy/Homelite 33cc success!

Congrats!! Sounds like you're having fun, and that's what it's all about. I love these conversion engines, and it's given me a whole new interest in the hobby in general.

AV8TOR