Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Need advice from all you conversion experts

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Need advice from all you conversion experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM
xrae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice from all you conversion experts

Guy's I have a problem I need everyone’s input on. A local lawn equipment repair shop is going to clean out all their old 2-cycle equipment. I was told by the owner that this could be up to 200 engines. Most are still in the trimmers/chainsaws etc. My problem is I haven't done enough conversions to know what type of motors to go after. I'm going to make a list below of the questions I hope you guys can give me guidance on.

1. What size do you think I should go after the first? I was thinking the largest cc available i.e. if he was to have a twin or large bore I would want to go after those first.

2. What is the size most commonly used in gas motors?

3. What brand should I go after or stay away from? I was told that redmax makes a super high rpm chainsaws.

4. What problems should i be looking for while I'm inspecting the engines before I buy them? I know maybe the obvious like cracked block, stripped threads and such. I'm just wondering if you guys that have been doing this for a long time could bestow some of your knowledge on me about knowing when an engine is a keeper and when it's one to pass up.

5. Anything that you think is important for me to know that I didn't ask or haven't thought of.

Thanks Rick
Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
tstotts

Default RE: Need advice from all you conversion experts

Just about any engine will convert but I like the ease of Ryobi conversions and lots of conversion parts available. 31cc is as small as I would go with Ryobi. Echos. These are real sweet especially the 23. cc. Lots of tricks you can use on them. Homelight seems to be fairly popular. I have one the has been very reliable. Poulan has decent power to weight ratio. Hear some good things about MAC.

Bigger the better if you can afford the plane to fly it on. I personally like the echos.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Reed valve engines run good but sometimes the reed plate is awkward looking.

We almost always use the nose (Most times the flywheel end) of the engine for the prop drive. You don't want a carb sticking out in that direction.

A lot of the old Homelites and McCulloch saws are needle bearings on the mains. These don't work out as handy as ball bearings.

The most common conversions are from 23 to 60 cc. Not too many converted beyond that size. There are few chain saws bigger than 45cc anymore because of the mechanized timber harvesters that are in use.

An old saw with the gas and oil tanks as part of the crank case were a lot of trouble to convert not only because of the sawing needed but the cases were often magnesium and to sand on one of these could give you a little excitement.

The plastic body chain saws are more handy to convert

Enjoy,
Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

I prefer Echo myself. You can find them at shops like you mentioned. Most of the time the homeowner can't get it to run and it usually is the carb that causes the problem. Then there is always the guy that can't mix gas and oil and scores the cylinder. You can fix the ones with carb issues provided that the shop you are getting them from didn't let them sit outside. We have them all over here but most are in a pile outside. I have done smaller 16 to 21cc engines but they are for the smaller 60 size planes. Some can be heavy too. I would stick with Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, etc. I have found those brands to be easiest to locate parts when needed. For example I bought a 72cc Husky saw that needed a cylinder kit for $20.00. Bought a new cylinder kit on Ebay for $90.00 and a couple bearings for another $20.00 locally. Should make for a nice lightweight yet powerful engine on electronic ignition.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably won't let you check them out before buying, but if you can, the easiest way is to pull off the exhaust and look inside for scoring/seizing. If you have time, pull off the carb as well and have a look in there. Sometimes guys use starting fluid and/or never clean the air cleaners and you will find damage from that by looking into the intake port.

Other than that, like the guys said: Echos, Homelites, some Macs, Stihl, Tanaka, Ryobi....

Personally, I really like the Echos, but I have had a lot of good luck with the Homelites as well.

Have fun and good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

I got a poulan blower for free because the two jug bolts worked loose, the guy said it bogged out while running... I knew what it was from there (got my mac 32 for $5 with the same symptoms, tightened the head bolts and it started right up), spent an hour taking it apart and putting it back together and it started on the second pull, I had the choke on for the first pull, so it didn't start then , even came with most of a tank of gas... that one will be a blower, which leaves me to play with the other 3 blowers I have for RC use... two need parts and one just won't run, I'll get it there
Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
xrae

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help. If anyone else has anything to add I'm all ears. Oh by the way the shop owner told me that he wanted anywhere from 10 dollars and up per engine. I'm going to try and find at least 4 or 5 for future conversions maybe more depending on what they look like and what he’ll let me have them for. From what I was told all the engines were kept in a workshop. I would love to find a sachs or maybe a nice twin to convert. Not that I have anything to put them on.

Rick
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer may just sell them all for scrap price...or so much per pound. I would not give him to much above that unless some engines was the higher quality ones like Echo, Redmax, Sthil, Husky, John Deere and Johsered. If you can ...post what brands you think they may be. Thanks Capt,n
Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 PM
xrae

Capt,

I'm not 100% sure what brands he's going to have. His shop is the type that takes all makes and models to repair. I know he sells redmax and mac's they are in his showroom. He said he was going to turn me loose with his mechanic in the shop tomorrow or the next day and his mechanic could tell me which ones run and which don't. The only down side is I have to by the complete unit meaning saw/trimmer/blower. Also I guess his mechanic could be dishonest I hope not but you never know. However since I have to buy the complete unit and if I can get all of them for under 20each. I may try and sell the parts I strip off on ebay.

Rick
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Zenoah 38s and 62s come from Green Machine chainsaws, they're not sold as Green Machines any more but Red Max is the brand now, same engines...Usually if the compression is good the rest doesn't matter, most of the other parts will be taken off anway.....