Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

what has more power ryobi or homelite?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 04:53 PM
bn120
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what has more power ryobi or homelite?

I have a homelite 30cc and a ryobi single ring 31cc and was going to convert one to glow,I was wondering wich is more powerfull?

Darin
Old 06-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the Homelite. Make sure that the engine is still current enough that parts are still available. If they are, buy a couple of extra sets of pistons, rings and gaskets for later use.

Bear in mind that either engine manufacturer has not been known for reliable engines in recent years.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:08 AM
tatolazo

Hello
Nice project to convert a gasser to glow.
I have 4 ryobis and few weeks ago i was wondering to cpnvert one to glow. But have some doubts because of:
1.- The carburetor should be compatible with alcohol?? Or could I use the standar one??
2.- More power in the explosion would act on the axle shaft, piston and other pieces that could suffer some abuse???
3.- would get some power benefit??
Thanks for your help.
Tato.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I have converted a Ryobi 31cc single ring to glow, using a WT-499 carb. Ran fine on 5% castor 0% nitro with good transition. However, it ran a whole lot stronger when I fed it 18% synth oil 15% nitro. Don't know if it was the nitro helping the low CR, or the extra oil sealing the leaky single ring piston. When I get around to it, I will do some more bench running to figure it out.

I also just got the CH ignition kit for my new Homie 30cc. This one is reportedly quite a bit more powerful than the 25cc Homie, so I don't plan on a glow conversion. Although I may try it just for the heck of it.

With the Ryobi, up-size the prop with your glow conversion so you don't go much over 8000rpm. The stamped steel conrod may be iffey at higher RPMs. I also have a dual ring Ryobi, which has a beefed up conrod. It's still stamped steel, but has wider webs. Homies have an alloy conrod that looks to be pretty strong.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:33 PM
tatolazo

Great info about your gassers!!
, where can I get the wt-499 carb.
Tato
Old 07-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Rutski
My Feedback: (3)

Default Walbro carbs

Type in Walbro carbs in any search engine, and go to their USA distributor listing for your local area. There you should have all info on new and rebuilt kits.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Volfy

I had C-H Ignitions order the WT-499's for me along with other parts. I am sure you can also get them from many other souces that sell and service small engines. Check with a lawn care equipment shop near you. I am sure they can order one for you.

Bear in mind that the WT-499 may or may not be the best carb to use for glow conversion on the Ryobi. I use it because, at first, I just so happen to have it from a G-23 glow engine I have. I've got several weedies in the range of 21cc to 31cc I can use these on. I think the venturi is big enough for a 31cc and not too restrictive. The jets certainly feel like they can flow plenty of fuel to keep up with the Ryobi. It has worked well for me, that's all I can say.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Volfy

Darin, forgot to answer you question directly.

IMHO, the twin-ring Homie 30cc should be more powerful than the single-ring Ryobi, gas or glow. Although the reed valve intake on the Ryobi should let it swing a larger prop than the piston port Homie.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Kraut

Speaking of the single ring versus the double ringed Ryobi's - what are you all taching the double ringed Ryobi's at - with say an 18 x 6, or an 18 x 8 prop? I just got my Ryobi from Harbor Freight, and it has a single ring piston. I made my own muffler from a project box, and I did a few minor mods - and mine is taching 7100 with a MAS Classic 18 x 6 prop (that is all my LHS had). I've run about 5 tanks of fuel through mine - so I am assuming that it will pick up some more after it gets broken in good. Just curious how much difference between the two there actually is.