Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

small engine shops

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default small engine shops

All of them in my area have gone out of business!!!...I drove 10 miles out into the country where I remember the biggest one being,,dead, for sale....there may be one left in Graham a few miles away but it was just a corner inside the feed/seed store...I know its a throw away society now, but geez, some of us still fix things....where am I gonna get parts for a 10+ year old echo trimmer?...I also went to a local pawn shop, what a joke, 20 weedeaters and not one of them under $100.........Rog
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: small engine shops

Online is where they are. Jacks Small Engines, Tiny Engines in Indiana, Order Tree for carb parts. Just do a search for what you are looking for. Let your fingers do the walking. Or just buy a new one. 24cc WE lightweight for $69.00 at Lowes. $49.00 at Harbor Freight (remanufactured). Or just look in the Monday morning refuse pickup resources curbside.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 AM
oldtimer2
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Partstree.com Located in Austin, Texas. I have had good luck finding parts for my Echo CS 61 twin, it has been out of production for over 15 yrs.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have visited all the local shops in my area. I don't see how some stay in business for various reasons. Maybe the lack of business is the key element? With the internet and the throw away engines, there is not much left for the local guy.

They save those old power heads and use parts from them. When they decide to get rid of it, there is nothing of any value left. It may look intact but the ignition module & carb have been traded out with defective ones and possibly the short block also.

Another parody of life is that a major MTD parts warehouse is 1/4 mile from my house but it is impossible for me to get anything from there. I just get the parts from the Internet.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have visited all the local shops in my area. I don't see how some stay in business for various reasons. Maybe the lack of business is the key element? With the internet and the throw away engines, there is not much left for the local guy.
Well mostly I think its because no one is willing to pay $50/hour labor, my neighbor paid $120 to have his push mower fixed,,he wont go back there again,,well, even if they were still in business!...Rog
Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at the local Stihl dealer yesterday and I asked him about the refusal to even talk about the junk engines. He says that he just got back from a training seminar. I don't know if it was Toro or Stihl but they tell him that he is personally liable for engines he gives away / sells for purposes other than what the original intention of the engine is.

For example the guy that puts the wood blade in his concrete saw to edge decking and the saw grabs and kicks back on him.

What's the world coming to?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My neibor here in town has a Echo twin. Looks very good & seems to run good. I only seen him once run it to help cut up a tree for another neibor. He will not sell it...I know that for sure! A used good running chain-saw is hard to find aroun here!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
spaceworm

There was just today on Fleabay a Stihl 4-Mix starting at 99 cents (plus over $15 to ship) that no one bid on and it was relisted. But, the coil, carb, flwheel, and everything else had been removed and were listed in separate auctions. The seller said he couldn't get to run so it was parted out and the components listed separatly. The seller would not combine shipping!! I did not bid on it, and won't, although I am interested in the 4-Mix engine and would like to know more about RC conversions of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Scota4570

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I was at the local Stihl dealer yesterday and I asked him about the refusal to even talk about the junk engines. He says that he just got back from a training seminar. I don't know if it was Toro or Stihl but they tell him that he is personally liable for engines he gives away / sells for purposes other than what the original intention of the engine is.

For example the guy that puts the wood blade in his concrete saw to edge decking and the saw grabs and kicks back on him.

What's the world coming to?
I posted about that a while back. I find most people very frustrating. Most seem to be a bunch dim whitted, spineless worms who are lead around by equally worthless lawlers or other authority figures.

I have always lived my life with a code of ethics which includes taking responsibility for my mistakes and being generious to others. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and expect such behavior and values from them. I find myself dissappointed most of the time. I guess we live in a world where such ideas are laughed at. Imagine a world where people accepted responsiblity and followed the golden rule. Wouldn't it be terrific?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Twin Star

It's just like you said. Too many people are doing what ever they can to push their own personal responsibility off on someone else, BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Just like the guy that is robbing you house and gets hurt while doing so, and then sues you for his injuries.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM
spaceworm

There are ways to make sure the intruder can not sue you!