Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

dumb question about the 2 tx knobs!

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

dumb question about the 2 tx knobs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
pmdevlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question about the 2 tx knobs!

I am ok hovering, at aboout 10feet, with training gear, but I just cannot get my head around the two knobs on the top of the tx. I have read the threads to death, so sorry for repeating an old topic. When I fly, I land, adjust the knobs to see what difference it makes, and I cannot understand what is happening, as nothing seems to change

I have read a set up guide on youtube, which suggests as a novice, have the left knob at 10.00 on a clock face, but no mention of the right knob.

Esky 3800 brushless 25a esc, 9t pinion is the set up. I dont want mad head speed, just want controlled hovering at this stage. What is happening with the knobs please!!

Paul
Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 PM
crimsonrain22

Default RE: dumb question about the 2 tx knobs!

Ok the one on the left of the controler is your rough adjust the other is to fine tune. What they do is adjust the pitch of the blades relative to the position of the throttle stick. Think of it like this in normal mode, not idle up. Your throttle adjusts the speed your motor turns, As you move the tx throttle up the motor and your blades spin faster. at the same time your moving it up you are also adding down pitch to the blades. The knobs adjust how much pitch at how much throttle. your want to get a good balance between how fast they are spinning, and how much pitch you have to get the best flight time(so your motor is working where it is most efficient, and your handleing is were you want it. Hope that isnt more confusing then what you have read already but figured I would give it a try. So to break it down. More the knob is turned up the more pitch you have and the less rpm. The lower you have them the more rpm's and the less pitch.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 AM
selime

That helps me...I can see the differnce when taking pitch out of the heli with the left knob but sort of wondered about the right knob.. Fine tuning...ok...thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM
FMB42

This link should have the entire HBK2 TX manual down at the bottom of the thread. You can also download this manual as well as an updated K2 manual from the Esky website ( www.twf-sz.com )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6183978

My K2 hovers at mid throttle with the left (HOV.PIT) knob set at the 2:00 position while a 12:00 setting on the right (PIT.TRIM) knob seems to give a reasonable headspeed and servo response. The setup on your K2 may require slightly different settings.

Good luck and good flying!

P.S. There is no such thing as a "dumb" question.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
selime

ORIGINAL: FMB42

This link should have the entire HBK2 TX manual down at the bottom of the thread. You can also download this manual as well as an updated K2 manual from the Esky website ( www.twf-sz.com )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6183978

My K2 hovers at mid throttle with the left (HOV.PIT) knob set at the 2:00 position while a 12:00 setting on the right (PIT.TRIM) knob seems to give a reasonable headspeed and servo response. The setup on your K2 may require slightly different settings.

Good luck and good flying!
FMB42 Thanks for the setting on your TX. Interesting.. Being new at this I find if my left knob is at 9 or 10 position and my right knob around 12 I can hover somewhat..and have fairly decent tail control...but if I put the left knob at 12 I seem to get too much pitch and loose my tail authority. My belt is good and tight and the rotor box works really smoothly..ideas?...thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 03:45 PM
xodarap1

Something to keep in mind is that most folks are running different motors (RPM's) and pinions. Mix that with the possible combinations of weights (skids,batteries, rockets, missles, guns heheh..) linkages/swash, servo arm positions, blades and personal preferences..you can see why the knobs are different on every setup.

I'm running a 3800 with 11T and my knobs are both at 12 o'clock position when i fly outside. But I can dial that around to 2 o'clock on the left knob and 12 o'clock on the right knob and it is much more stable for hovering around inside the house.. but with lower head speed.

All you really need to do is find out what works best for you and go with it. As long as your COG is dead on, you will know when you hit the sweet spot because it will handle and hover great and the tail will behave.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM
FMB42

Being new at this I find if my left knob is at 9 or 10 position and my right knob around 12 I can hover somewhat
xodarap1 is correct, as I'm running a 3550kv BL motor, 11T pinion, and 1500mAh battery. IIRC, I was running the pretty much the same HOV.PIT and PIT.TRIM settings that you note with the stock brushed motor and 1000mAh battery. You should be OK as long as your main blade pitch is set as per the manual and your stick position is about mid throttle at hover.

if I put the left knob at 12 I seem to get too much pitch and loose my tail authority. My belt is good and tight and the rotor box works really smoothly..ideas?...thanks
Try moving the "tail rotor fixed shaft" (expanded view P/N 116) out on the rotor shaft ~1mm. This will increase the initial tail rotor blade pitch and available positive pitch travel thus increasing tail authority. Just be sure to go over your tail setup by making sure that the tail servo and or tail rotor pitch mechanism is not binding or "running out of travel" during full positive and negative pitch travel. I had to move my tail servo back towards the tail almost 2 mm after doing this.

I like to have my HOV.PIT set at 2:00 and the PIT.TRIM at 12:00 while flying indoors just like xodarap1 says. The good thing is that the K2 will just about fly "hands off" once you find the "sweet spot" as xodarap1 notes.

P.S. Always write everything "down" as far as adjustments, changes, or mods go and try to make only one adjustment, change, or mod at a time. Doing this can save you lots of time and trouble when things don't go well.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:49 PM
KCinNC

hey guys...can you tell me what your blade pitch is at mid-stick...(normal mode) i think setting the blade pitch curve is confusing to me

i have the esky 3100 BL motor 10t pinion

Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Druss

I believe mine is at 2-3 deg at mid stick but I'm using a 9C transmitter and have my hover point set at 3/4 stick, if you're looking for the hover pitch mine is 5 deg.