RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   ........."BELT-CP THREAD"........ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/6427888-%22belt-cp-thread%22.html)

Tinkman 11-08-2011 06:44 PM

RE: .........

ORIGINAL: biker dude

In my humble opinion, I have found it to be better to have the metal head. There are less parts to break in a crash. You may however bend the main shaft. Just don't get the pink stuff that you see on Ebay. The pink metal that they use is very soft and tends to strip out. I have what I think is a Trex knock off from Xheli on mine and have had good luck with it. The only thing about Xheli is that sometimes they run out of product and don't tell you and you have to wait until it's back in stock.
I have ordered stuff from them recently and got it in a fair amount of time.
Spiros, you will find that the blade 400 main gear will hold up better in a crash. If you crash hard enough though it will strip out thus saving any important parts. Also the one way bearing in the V 1 that I had was hard to replace.
I went with a trex tail assembly because anything else had failed on me. I got tired of fixing things just to crash and have to fix them again.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I finally switched to metal gear servos because I have had several Esky servos strip on me while in flight. Not only costly, but dangerous.
I agree with Philly about the standard size servo for the tail being a little heavy, buy I have off set the weight of mine with a small fishing weight attached in the front of the canopy with double sided tape.
Speaking of canopies, if you look around enough on some of the heli web sites you can find some very nice fiber glass ones for very reasonable prices. I think I got 2 from hongkong and paid like 5.00 each for them. They have small imperfections in the paint but who can tell when you are worried about not crashing! LOL!
I hope this helps,
Bryan<br type=''_moz''/>

I'm not sure those pink heads that fit the Belt are Align knockoffs. I have both the Belt and HK450 (which is a really cheap, exact knock off of the Trex 450) and the heads are different. The Belt's antirotation arm is 180 degrees out from the Trex. It would take quite a bit of modification to make one work.
If you're looking for a good clone to learn on, that you can swap Align parts on later, the HK450 is a good deal. You can usually buy an entire bare bones kit for under $40.00, with metal head and tail assys. In fact, I bought one just to rob the tail assy off of it, but ended up building the kit with clone electronics. I have to say, it flies better than the Belt.
Joaquin

aircrash 11-08-2011 08:47 PM

I would like some info about metal gear servos.
Some cheap though but reliable (no glitches).
Also if I will have to move to a 3A BEC with those servos.

I went with a trex tail assembly because anything else had failed on me. I got tired of fixing things just to crash and have to fix them again.
Hi Bryan,

Have you changed the front belt drive pulley with a Trex one so you use a T-Rex belt or do you use the stock belt but with the stock front belt drive pulley and Trex`s tail belt pulley?

ORIGINAL: Tinkman I have to say, it flies better than the Belt.
Hi Joaquin,

It would be interesting a comparison of a BeltCPV2 to the CPXto the 450V2.
You may try converting the V2 to a CPX. It needs just a few parts, not so expensive. One day I`ll convert mine to it. DTS and flybar underneath.
Also a comparison of the CPX to the 450V2 while they use the same flybar, paddles and flybar weights (if you use any), meaning you are using a 450V2 rotor head in the CPX or modded stock.

Spiros

aircrash 11-09-2011 03:43 AM

I`m thinking of buying a DX6i for two reasons:
a) better swashplate leveling
b) expo adjustment

In fact I`m thinking of buying a Blade 450 RTF(DX6i radio).

So, what do you think?
Will I get what I paid for and how much is it needed for a beginner?

biker dude 11-09-2011 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: aircrash

I`m thinking of buying a DX6i for two reasons:
a) better swashplate leveling
b) expo adjustment

In fact I`m thinking of buying a Blade 450 RTF(DX6i radio).

So, what do you think?
Will I get what I paid for and how much is it needed for a beginner?

Hi Spiros,
As far as the belt drive is concerned I can't remember what belt I was using. I have been flying my EXIclone as of late. I don't think I had any problems though.

The DX6i is a great radio. I recently bought one and It makes a HUGE difference. You will progress much faster in your flying with a better radio.

I don't really know anything about the Bade 450 helicopter. I bought the EXI clone because I wanted something that was compatable with the Trex since the Align parts are the best. That way I can change over any part with a direct fit.

biker dude 11-09-2011 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Tinkman

In my humble opinion, I have found it to be better to have the metal head. There are less parts to break in a crash. You may however bend the main shaft. Just don't get the pink stuff that you see on Ebay. The pink metal that they use is very soft and tends to strip out. I have what I think is a Trex knock off from Xheli on mine and have had good luck with it. The only thing about Xheli is that sometimes they run out of product and don't tell you and you have to wait until it's back in stock.
I have ordered stuff from them recently and got it in a fair amount of time.
Spiros, you will find that the blade 400 main gear will hold up better in a crash. If you crash hard enough though it will strip out thus saving any important parts. Also the one way bearing in the V 1 that I had was hard to replace.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I finally switched to metal gear servos because I have had several Esky servos strip on me while in flight. Not only costly, but dangerous.
I agree with Philly about the standard size servo for the tail being a little heavy, buy I have off set the weight of mine with a small fishing weight attached in the front of the canopy with double sided tape.
Speaking of canopies, if you look around enough on some of the heli web sites you can find some very nice fiber glass ones for very reasonable prices. I think I got 2 from hongkong and paid like 5.00 each for them. They have small imperfections in the paint but who can tell when you are worried about not crashing! LOL!
I hope this helps,
Bryan<br type="" />

I'm not sure those pink heads that fit the Belt are Align knockoffs. I have both the Belt and HK450 (which is a really cheap, exact knock off of the Trex 450) and the heads are different. The Belt's antirotation arm is 180 degrees out from the Trex. It would take quite a bit of modification to make one work.
If you're looking for a good clone to learn on, that you can swap Align parts on later, the HK450 is a good deal. You can usually buy an entire bare bones kit for under $40.00, with metal head and tail assys. In fact, I bought one just to rob the tail assy off of it, but ended up building the kit with clone electronics. I have to say, it flies better than the Belt.
Joaquin

Your right about the heads being a little different, but I think it's just the swash I had to change out. I got one of the pink heads (pink heads lol) when I got my belt cp origonally then traded up to the head I have now. I just switch out the swash. When I started flying the EXI I was able to use the Align swash that I had been hanging on to.

Markus8 11-09-2011 12:47 PM

I got the news at work that my package had arrived so I went to the post office after I finished the day with a big smile. Back home after unpacking the gyro and servo my first reaction wow that was a huge servo I never checked the dimensions really. Anyway I'm mounting the gyro on the spot and the servo didn't really figure out how to set up on the tail for best performance since I think you want the tail controlling rod straight. But then the servo will be in a weird angle but guess what should be needed was a new mount. Well I drop that for the moment and was thinking of plug in the wire connector. But there it took stop the connector didn't fit the Spektrum AR6210 there was this little bit plastic part in the way. I was thinking of just get rid of it and move on but I was't really satisfied with the servo with it's big dimensions and about your info Philly. So my next move will be send it back to the shop and order something else.

So now I'm back at square one but I'm still in for an upgrade of gyro and the servo.<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal">So I have heard that the Spartan DS760 SMM AVCS should be a class of itself but they should be rare to get the hands on what I have heard. It should be a lot better then the GY401 if the sources is right.<o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal">I have yet no clue about what tail servo that would be something to go for. But what I'm sure about I want one that fit better on the tail the dimensions was just to big on the S9254 or what do you think? The second would be a servo that work well with the DS760 and have the performance to make some great 3D of course I won't be able to do it now or maybe ever. I don't got the experience for sure and enough upgrades for that. <o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal">I would like to ask you guys if any of you have any suggestions of a servo that would be perfect and what do you guys think of the Spartan DS760? What you have heard/know or experience of that gyro.<o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal">Take care.
<o:p></o:p>Markus<o:p></o:p></p><!EndFragment>

biker dude 11-09-2011 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Markus, This is what the standard servo looks like on mine.

biker dude 11-09-2011 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a full length shot.

biker dude 11-09-2011 01:38 PM

Has anyone else had bugs dive bomb their heli. I had a dragon fly zoom right into the main rotors. It made quite a mess! I had to change my shirt. Also I have butterflies constantly get sucked into the main rotors when they get too close. I have bug juice all over my main blades LOL!

aircrash 11-09-2011 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Markus8

since I think you want the tail controlling rod straight. But then the servo will be in a weird angle
Hi Markus,
Yes, that`s how it must be. Today I found some free time to mess with my Belt CP V2.
After adjusting it now the servo is at an angle and not vertically to the ground.
I saw that the tail servo does not center well.
The tail linkage rod was not straight also (servo was vertical). And the tail blades were not at zero pitch.
Once you applied full rudder in one direction the servo was buzzing hitting the end of the tail rotor (the tail rotor control arm), while it was not when rudder was applied to the other direction (cause of the not centered servo).
Iadjusted it pretty well and now it does not, although the servo (horn) is not centered well.

Now before I (try) fly I must check the swashplate if it is level. The bad thing is the cyclic servos do not center either...
Ithink Imust go for a DX6i sooner than I was thinking...

As for servos Imay take some DS939MG, and DS919MG for the beginning.

Spiros

phillyD 11-09-2011 04:25 PM

Hey Spiros
These are what i use(and many others even the T-Rex guys)in terms of metal geared servos http://helidirect.com/hitec-hs-65mg-...tor-p-2280.hdxabout 5 crashes on them and never had to repair a gear. Cyclic only. Dunno if the price range is good for you. Pay attention to the dimension of the servos you get as I had to do slight filing of the frame and servo case for them to fit. I have the carbon framed Belts. Some of the HK guys might know a cheaper equivalent.
Cheers
Philip

I have http://helidirect.com/spartan-quark-...se-p-16586.hdx on my 550. It was on my Belt and works well with the fut 9257 and 9254.

Oh my tail servois at a weird angle too to get the rod nearly directly under the tail boom/

Tinkman 11-09-2011 04:52 PM

I've been using these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10346
on the cyclic and this:
http://www.rc711.com/shop/3dpro-ds92...?cPath=249_252
on the tail.
This is my gyro:
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220733
They all work great, and you can't beat the price.

Joaquin

biker dude 11-09-2011 05:32 PM

Good links guys, got them bookmarked!

biker dude 11-09-2011 05:35 PM

These are the ones I'm using on my cyclic. Then something I got off ebay called Gs-9257 for the tail. 19.95 for it. All are very smooth.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-servo-d213f.html

biker dude 11-10-2011 05:15 AM

I found this site today while looking for pinion gear pitch. It has some really good info. If you click on the links in the upper right hand corner you can get information on each one of the sections.

http://www.hk450.com/tail-servo/

biker dude 11-10-2011 01:32 PM

Hey Dis...I burnt out my 30 amp esc today. It has been getting hot pretty much since the day I bought it. I'm thinking I need to go to a 40amp now. what would you recommend? I am running a 3800 kv motor with 2.2mah batteries and a 12 tooth pinion (at least I was today before the 1 little plastic gear inside of my new metal gear servo decided to strip). I thought maybe the 12 tooth gear may have caused the esc to over heat and burn out, but I don't know if that would have effected it?
I think I was the cause of stripping the gear though. I jammed the throttle full on a few times trying to get the heli to zoom up, but now I'm guessing thats a bad idea.
Anyway...thanks for your help, and if anyone else wants to jump in please do.
Bryan<br type="_moz"/>

phillyD 11-10-2011 03:29 PM

Hey Biker
The ESC maybe was going bad. But remember ESC's don't really like constant adjustment(a range of throttle curves) dou you fly in idle up constant throttle and allow the pitch of the blades to make the heli jump? The hobbywing(rebadged funfly...name pentium legal issue) 30A should be good. http://helidirect.com/hobbywing-flyf...41-p-23647.hdxthe 40A one with the built in BEC is out of stock if you use a UBEC like me the the 40A opto is in stock. I use aBEC on allmy crafts..disconnect thered wire fron the ESC. The 12 tooth will put more strain on the motor/ESC..it might have been a combination...I still use 30A and the dreaded 25AESKY on my night heli(cooler environ plus the usual mods to it.
Cheers

Hey Dis...I burnt out my 30 amp esc today. It has been getting hot pretty much since the day I bought it. I'm thinking I need to go to a 40amp now. what would you recommend? I am running a 3800 kv motor with 2.2mah batteries and a 12 tooth pinion (at least I was today before the 1 little plastic gear inside of my new metal gear servo decided to strip). I thought maybe the 12 tooth gear may have caused the esc to over heat and burn out, but I don't know if that would have effected it?
I think I was the cause of stripping the gear though. I jammed the throttle full on a few times trying to get the heli to zoom up, but now I'm guessing thats a bad idea.
Bryan<br type="_moz" />

Tinkman 11-10-2011 04:51 PM

Hey Guys,
The 12T pinion will definitely make your ESC work harder unless you fly with a 3500+ RPM head speed. The ESC likes to run at near full throttle, at least 85-90%. Anything under that causes them to get hot. Adjust your pinion until you get the desired headspeed at 90-95%. I think you'll find it much more responsive and it will run cooler. I run a 10T pinion on my HK with a 4000Kv motor and it works great.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6316
Joaquin

phillyD 11-10-2011 05:26 PM

well said Tinky
that it why you try to fly in idle up with a 85-85-85-85-85 or similar curve. the normal mode curve 0-45-65-85-100(just an example) will heat up your esc

aircrash 11-10-2011 07:49 PM

I ordered some DS939MG(cyclic) and DS919MG (tail).
Now cause I`m pretty sure those servos will draw more than the stock servo I`m going to order a UBEC.
What do you think about Hobbywing 3A UBEC?

I`m going to use the stock esc for the beginning along with an external bec, so I may get away with a burnt esc. Or I am not?
I have two Hobbywing Pentium 30A esc that I could use but I`ll use one for a 450 clone, so one Belt will be left with the stock.

Also I ordered a DX6i and some orange receivers, but no satellite receiver. Will I be OK? What is the range in meters? I`m good if it is as the stock Esky Tx.
And where to look at for beginner DX6i settings?

Tinkman 11-11-2011 12:52 PM

I'd use the spare HobbyWing ESC on the Belt. That's what I run on mine and it works fine.

Joaquin

aircrash 11-11-2011 01:07 PM

I guess you`re right.
BTW, do you use a 30A w/2A BEC and metal gear servo and no external BEC ?

biker dude 11-11-2011 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: phillyD

Hey Biker
The ESC maybe was going bad. But remember ESC's don't really like constant adjustment(a range of throttle curves) dou you fly in idle up constant throttle and allow the pitch of the blades to make the heli jump? The hobbywing(rebadged funfly...name pentium legal issue) 30A should be good. http://helidirect.com/hobbywing-flyf...41-p-23647.hdxthe 40A one with the built in BEC is out of stock if you use a UBEC like me the the 40A opto is in stock. I use aBEC on allmy crafts..disconnect thered wire fron the ESC. The 12 tooth will put more strain on the motor/ESC..it might have been a combination...I still use 30A and the dreaded 25AESKY on my night heli(cooler environ plus the usual mods to it.
Cheers

Bryan

Hey Philly...can you explain the difference between BEC and UBEC to me?
Thanks,
B.

aircrash 11-11-2011 03:02 PM

...can you explain the difference between BEC and UBEC to me?
Thanks,
B.
From what Iknow basically a BECand a UBECis the same thing. Different name just to be easier to distinguish between a linear mode BEC (namely BEC) and a switch mode BEC(namely UBEC).
Both are doing the same job, regulate the voltage at a given (set already) value.
The linear mode is cheaper to accomplish and heats up more. It also wastes some power.
The switch mode is a little more expensive, needs some more parts, and does not heat up that much. It also does not waste the same amount of power, aka more efficient. The disadvantage is the weight basically, if you`re concerned about a few grams more.

Markus8 11-11-2011 04:33 PM

Aircrash when I set up my DX6i I went through this guide. you should take a look at it could be something you are looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxWhzYzMEPY<div></div><div>I bought a el-panel for the transmitter as well on ebay to light up the display which in my opinion should be done at the factory it's real frustrating to not see anything on the display. I'm still waiting on it but if you do it as well keep in mind the el-panel is AC and battery is DC so pick one with an adapter included in that case. It just cost about USD 10 for it all with included shipment as well.</div><div></div><div>By the way I bought the GY401 with S9254 but I'm gonna send it back since I changed my mind so yesterday I ordered the Spartan Quark with S9257and 5.1v step down regulator from align I hope it will be fine. Gonna have it in the week so next weekend I guess I will be up in the air :)</div>