Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Toledo Weak Signals Expo 2011

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Toledo Weak Signals Expo 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Symposiumguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toledo Weak Signals Expo 2011

Toledo Weak Signals Expo 2011 is being held April 1,2 and 3.
Who is planning on going? Anyone taking a bus trip to the show?
Want to know what vendors are going to be there?
Any symposiums you would like to attend?
Let's hear it or visit
The Toledo Weak Signals Expo on [link=http://www.facebook.com/connect/uiserver.php?app_id=291549705119&next=http%3A%2F%2Fapps.facebook.com%2Fcityville%2F tracks.php%3Fsrc%3Dads%26aff%3D32%26crt%3DCV_Acq_U S_20101112_US%26perms%26selected_profiles%3D100000 234197594&display=page&cancel_url=http%3A%2F%2Ffb-0.cityville.zynga.com%2Ftracks.php%3Fsrc%3Dads%26a ff%3D32%26crt%3DCV_Acq_US_20101112_US%26perms%3D%2 6selected_profiles%3D100000234197594&locale=en_US&perms=email%2Cpublish_stream&return_session=1&session_version=3&fbconnect=1&canvas=0&legacy_return=1&method=permissions.request#!/pages/Toledo-Weak-Signals-Expo/162748013770916]Weak Signals Face Book[/link]
Please visit it and give us some of your thoughts.
Thanks
Brian
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Toledo Weak Signals Expo 2011

The RCU Crew will be there to cover the event. We will give daily updates as well as a full article afterward
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We've also got a few new things planned to spice up our coverage a bit. RCU has always the best coverage of Toledo, now we want to make it better!!!

See you all in Toledo.

Ken

Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 AM
djstar39

I'm considering switching glow fuels to Coolpower. Does anyone know if they are represented at Toledo and selling fuel? Didn't see them on the vendors list unless I missed it.

Dave
Old 02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Symposiumguy

They have been contacted but as of this moment they have not confirmed a Table. Will let you know if they do.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was wondering if there was a thread going on yet about this show as usually a lot of members here are getting geeked about attending. Wow, it's less than 2 months way!
Mike, I always looking forward to seeing you and Ken, the walking pile of camera equipment there.
It's not just the show as you guys know, I'm a boater but sometimes it's the only time of the year that I run into old friends and hang out with them for a while. I still manage to lighten my wallet before heading home. I will be there on Saturday so I'll see if I can find either or both of you wandering around. I'll have my posse along as my son wants to bring his new bride plus who knows who will be riding along. Eric I think wants to head to Packo's more than have interest in the show but I may need some pack mules anyway to haul out my buys!

Dave, I don't know if Cool Power sells fuel at the show. There have been others in the past selling like Byron's and Ritches Brew. You now pay for your fuel inside but have to pick it up outside with your receipt as the Toledo fire marshall doesn't like having hundreds if not thousands of gallons of nitro inside the building.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 AM
djstar39

Thanks Ron! I usually pick up a couple cases of Wildcat but want to try Cool Power and of course I want it the cheapest way I can get it! You're right... pay for it inside and then pick it up on the dock.

Dave
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Ron Olson

I'm a fan of Wildcat as I've got about 8 gallons of it now. Ritches Brew isn't bad stuff either so shop around before deciding. I did pick up a case of fuel there last year but bought it from a guy who was going to the show anyway. The funny thing was that he parked right next to me so I didn't have to carry it all over the place.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM
MinnFlyer

Ron, Ken and i have sworn off the Heartburn Hotel (Packo's) but we usually meet with others at the bottom of the stairs at the main entrance Fri and Sat at noon to do lunch. So if you don't see us before that, you can always meet us there
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah, I gotta watch what I'm eating now as the old iron gut ain't what it used to be. I've developed a couple of food allergies the past few years but still have a problem passing up a stop at Tony's. One of these years I'll have to try another place.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

We caved last year as we two new people with us that wanted to try Packo's. It wasn't so bad as I didn't burn my mouth on the fried pickles this year!!!! Plus, I showed some self restraint and kept myself to just 2 Packo's dogs!!! So I didn't do too bad!!!!

Mike and I have discovered a really good place to eat just up the street from the Seagate. It's in the basement of a bank up there. Really good sandwiches there. Meet us at the stairs at noon on Saturday as we usually go and have a RCU lunch there!!!!

The one place that is ABSOLUTELY off the list is Murphy's!!! We won't be going back to that hole even if it was the last place to eat in Toledo!!!!

Ken
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Ron Olson

Is that the really expensive place with bad food?
We've been hitting Packo's At The Park the past few years as it's walking distance from the SeaGate but I prefer the original place myself as it's more homey and the PATP is kinda yuppie. My kid and his buddies always have to see how much they can eat so they always try to tackle the MOAD (Mother Of All Dogs).
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We eat across the street from Packos, at the Spaghetti Warehouse. Great food at reasonable prices. You guys might want to give it a shot.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 AM
MinnFlyer

We usually hit Spaghetti Warehouse on Thursday night when we hit town. The place ken is talking about is straight out the front door - cross the street and walk about 1 block. It's in the basement of a bank, so it's not easy to find. It's nothing to RAVE about, but it's good food, good service and good prices.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 AM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and all of the waitresses were really cute, if I remember correctly!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Ron Olson

A few tips for those attending for the first time.
There is no good day to go as I went there on a Friday to think that the crowds would be lighter. Boy, was I fooled as it seemed like about a 1,000 or more other people had the same idea! Sunday is a little lighter but most of the deals may be gone by then. People don't want ot have to haul all of their merchandise back home so you might find something in what's left over though including the big manufacturers may have some swag that they don't want to put back on the truck. Friday is prime picking day of course. What's in the swap meet area upstairs will vary from year to year but then again there are a few vendors who have been trying to unload their stuff for years and still keep dragging it back.
Expect typical arena/concert prices on food and beverages. You're not supposed ot bring in pop from the outside but it does happen as I hate to pay $3.00 for a dollar bottle of Pepsi. I'm not saying that I done this but...............
Shop around for the best prices on battery packs, servo's, etc. that most all RCer's use as I've seen prices vary a lot from table to table in the swap meet area or on the main floor.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:51 AM
MinnFlyer

I have a feeling that this is going to be a big year. Last year was one of those "transitional' years, where the major companies didn't quite know which direction they wanted to go in. But just seeing some previews of what's coming out this year has me drooling.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Ron Olson

Me too Mike. A year or two ago the show was about dead compared to previous shows, you could tell by the lack of a crowd and actually some booth space on the floor available. I have this feeling that they'll be back to packing them in again. Being a boat guy I'm elated at seeing more boat manufacturers showing up. there is still a lack for the 4-wheel crowd though yet I also realize that it will always be mainly a plane show.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 AM
MinnFlyer

Yea, It is technically an airplane show, although over the years boat have made a significant appearence and I enjoy that too. I don't mind seeing a few cars, but I would hate to see any more of a car presence.

The car guys have enough venues and Toledo only has so much space, I'd rather see that space devoted to planes.

Let the car guys go watch NASCAR
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Last year was a bit weird because of the economy. Friday was the busiest day for the vendors. That was because the people attending were retired and such and had money to spend. On Saturday and Sunday the "working" people made and money was tight with that crowd. Every vendor that was selling product told me that Friday was the best of the three days, which is usually not the case with the show. Normally Saturday is the biggie day.

Sunday is a great day for finding bargains at the show as most vendors would rather sell it than haul it home. But, it's also hit and miss. Some things may sell out before Sunday hits.

Ken
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Warbird Joe

Well by reading what Ken said I will be there Friday. I am off that day so it will be a good day to drive up and go to my first Toledo show. Hope to see you guys there.

Joe
Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM
MinnFlyer

Well Joe, we have a standing invitation for RCU members to join us for lunch (No, we're not buying ).

We meet at the bottom of the staircase by the main entrance at noon each day. So even if you already have lunch plans, stop by and say hi!