Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly IN - RCRC - 9-10-July

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly IN - RCRC - 9-10-July

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:47 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly IN - RCRC - 9-10-July

Art Azlin is one of our our many premier builders in the club. Here is a picture of a squadron of B-25 that he has been building for the past several months. Now this is truly exciting and I can't wait to see these birds in the air. The only question I have is how is he going to get them all flying for the Big Bird?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73955.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	150033  
Old 07-05-2004, 01:24 PM
rfw1953

Here are a few more pictures

Name:	Cz80018.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	150463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57496.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	150464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98990.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	150465  
Old 07-05-2004, 04:55 PM
ghee-grose

hey rfw1953, are you the ONLY person at RCRC that posts on these threads? If the participation at the event is any comparison of how active your members are on RC Universe, it might not be worth the drive.

I've tried searching for Huntsville fliers and found just a few. How many members do ya'll have?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:17 PM
dicknadine

do not know where you have been, but they have been broadcasting their FLYIN steady on this forumn and others. ask, look, go have agood time and then complain after you were diappointed. each FLYIN is dependant on us to attend and have agood time. have been to many and there is always minor problems. but Most have agood time. dick
Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
ghee-grose

Last year's was my first (new to RC) and enjoyed it thoroughly. I will certainly be attending this one also...and plan to enjoy it as well. It just appears that this club doesn't have a very appearance of members on "the Universe". I was just kinda picking and prodding to see if some of them spoke up.

I went to a "well advertised" Fun Fly they had a month or so ago and was VERY dissappointed with the turnout....only 8 or 9 planes!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:22 PM
dicknadine

Again -- to each his own. if your so pepped up, why don't you sponser a fly-in strictly for your type of planes, what ever they may, and see what the response might be? let it be, your are only hurting yourself. dick
Old 07-05-2004, 11:24 PM
rfw1953

ghee-grose - Historically we have ranged between 250-300 members. This year we are right at 300, give or take a few. We have an excellent relationship with the city with participation in community activities to promote the hobby and encourage people to get involved.

The Big Bird and the War Bird are our two Big events each year with the Big Bird being the largest. No doubt attendance will be effected with the format change this year. Whether the effect is good or bad remains to be seen. Our members participate in both with a good club representation. Likewise we have a Patten event as well.

As to why our members do not participate much on RCU threads, well, your guess is as good as mine. RCU, among the many other on-line sites have been a big help to me in the learning process.

Roger F. Woodward
Asst. Cd
2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly In
Old 07-06-2004, 07:37 AM
ghee-grose

Yes, RCU is a lifeline for me as well. I've only been in the sport for a little over a year now and find it priceless in answering my questions. There's really no other source of RC information that I have access to. We have no RC club in Athens, and the 45 minute drive to your field would add to the "hassle" of flying. (although I have to admit ya'll have an EXCELLENT place there! )

I think I may have come off wrong as "bashing" you guys....well that's not my intentions. I just thought it a bit extreme to cut out all 3D flight. I know, I know...it's your field your rules, if you don't like it don't come, blah blah, and I can respect that. I will still be there, as will my wife and son, my Dad (and hopefully Mom), both my brothers, and probably a few of our RC friends. You will still see me grinning from ear to ear when those planes are flying!

The fella that had the big 'ol Aeronca Champ at last years event really made my Dad's day! He used to have a full size plane just like it.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:05 PM
rfw1953

Gary, no harm done. Thanks for the inquiry and hope you and your family will come visit with us again this year. Introduce yourself when you do. I was at the field this morning with the CD getting things ready. Just trying to spruce the place up for company. I'm going to get the Pitts out tomorrow and do a few flights. We will be at the field all day Thursday for those wanting to come a bit early to practice and get a feel for the field. Weather report is looking good so far. Should be a fun time.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:09 PM
ghee-grose

I will probably be there to watch the practice around lunch time Thursday. Probably some Friday too! Saturday will be the family day there. We are all looking forward to it!

You flying a big Pitts??? I saw a nice one get "shot down" last year by a frequency mistake. [X(]
Old 07-06-2004, 02:20 PM
rfw1953

Now you just had to bring that up didn't you ? Well, to be totally honest, I shot myself down. No one else was involved and no other airplanes suffered because of my error. I paid the price dearly and lost both the plane and the engine. The biggest damage was to my ego, but as the saying goes, if you fly you are going to crash sooner or later. The pictures below are of Pitts-II, the replacement, which was the best remedy after losing Pitts-I.

Name:	Ay75478.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	150849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16931.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	150850  
Old 07-06-2004, 02:39 PM
ghee-grose

Oh, that was you!!!! That had to suck![]

It was a nice looking plane though.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:57 PM
rfw1953

Thanks for the compliments on the plane and yes, it really did rank up there as my worst RC moment to date. I could go to my grave without having to experience that again. At least I owned up to the error, didn't try to blame anyone but myself and paid the cost by replacing the airplane to myself. Just glad it wasn't another airplane that belonged to someone else.

We have taken great care in making sure we have a qualified knowledgeable crew to man the impound table for the event this year. This is not suggesting that we didn't in the past, but after the mishap last year, we reviewed the process and logistically redesigned the impound area to keep people well away from the radios and pins so as to be sure that no radios leave impound without the channel pin. No pin-no radio.

This is a good reminder to everyone attending to make sure they check their transmitters into the impound area located under the sheltered pit area. Pilots will want to make sure they have their channel numbers printed in large print on the tags to be attached to the Tx. upon completing registration.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
ghee-grose

Now THAT'S a tuff lesson to learn!!! I can't wait to see the new one fly....that thing is a HOG!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:41 PM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep that one was ugly my freind was coming up the entrance road and he got a real close up of the old pitts in its death throws but for the number of planes present in huntsville at any given event the accident ratio is extremely low . and as for the fun fly if you would have entered there would have been ten pilots you have got to participate to complain he he....
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 PM
ghee-grose

true...true....

If my engine was mounted on my Twist and not shipped off for service (bad carb) I probably would have entered. Matter of fact, a Twist was one of the prizes for that event.

Those contests ya'll had were a hoot! My Dad and I have recreated some of them with our Slow Sticks. We flew last night and had a blast by taking off, climbing for 30 seconds, then dead stick to a spot landing. That's fun....I would like to try it with more contestants!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 PM
rfw1953

We had four visitors arrive tonight and registered early. Practice flying officially begins Thursday, but we can get you flying Wednesday if you arrive early and want to fly. I will be there Wednesday myself to get some flight time in. We will be there all day Thursday beginning at 9:00 am to help people get registered and situated. The field will be open for registered pilots wanting to get some practice time in. I will be there most of the day and look forward to meeting our guest and helping in any way needed. We worked today getting the facilities ready. The grass was cut today and we set up the parking flags and barrels. The intercom is working and the prizes and plaques are ready to be awarded. The food has all been purchased and we have our people lined up to help make this a fun time for all attending. There will be an interview Thursday with one of the local TV stations promoting the event. We are expecting a good turn out so if you are are still wondering about attending come on over and let's have a good time.

Sincerely,

Roger F. Woodward
Asst. Cd

Name:	Ay75255.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	151088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78279.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	151089  
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 AM
redbeard
My Feedback: (8)

Roger, I hope your clubs show turns out great, I am starting to see the amount of
work it takes to put on a show like yours.
I wish you all the best for a safe and fun event for all involved.
Paul
Old 07-07-2004, 09:16 AM
ghee-grose

I had to dig through alot of pictures to find this, but...... here it is....

ghee

Name:	Ca82493.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	151191  
Old 07-07-2004, 08:34 PM
rfw1953

Paul, thanks for the encouraging words. Very much appreciated. Same to you guys in Hot Springs. Sounds like you have one heck of an exciting show to get ready for. Wish you guys great success and a safe fun time as well. Thanks!

The field is now perfect. A few of our members put the finishing touches on the grass apron around the runway and cleared away the grass clumps late yesterday and today. This was a big job, but the field now really looks good. We are ready. We have done our best. Hope you will come and enjoy.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:14 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

Hi, Roger. Can you tell me if I will be able to register early Saturday morning? That is the earliest I will be able to arrive. Also, can you post the physical address of the field or something nearby so that I can get a map to your field from my house? Thank you!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:36 PM
rfw1953

Rich, yes you can register Saturday morning, and we hope you will be able to come. Here is the Link to the website that provides a graphic map to get to the field once in the Huntsville area.

http://www.rocketcityrc.com/events/2...4-BigBird.html

See Map below:

I usually go through Chattanooga if coming from the North side of Atlanta. I take 75 N and then
Merge onto I-24 W toward NASHVILLE/BIRMINGHAM.
Take the US-72 exit- exit number 152- toward S PITTSBURG. Stay on 72 W to Memorial Parkway South in Huntsville, which is the same as 231 South.

Stay on Memorial Parkway until the Airport Road exit and turn right. Then at Leeman Ferry turn left and this will take take you to the field, which is on the right on Leeman Ferry. Refer to the map on the link.

If from downtown Atlanta or from the south side take I-20 W.
exit number 185 toward OXFORD/ANNISTON.
Stay on 431 N through GADSDEN. Boaz, Lake Guntersville, New Hope and on to Huntsville. Stay on 431 into Huntsville to Memorial Parkway South, which is a left off 431 which also Governors Drive.
Memorial Parkway South to Airport Road. Turn Right to Leeman Ferry and then turn left. Field is on the right.

Hope the directions make sense and do hope you will come. It's about 3.5 to 4 hours from Atlanta.

Roger F. Woodward
Asst. CD

Name:	Jh15400.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	151768  
Old 07-08-2004, 09:07 PM
rfw1953

We had a good practice day today with several arrivals. So far we have 31 pilots registered, which is 7 below are all time record for a Thursday. The field is in excellent condition for the big guys to land on the grass apron that runs parallel to the runway. The field and the facalities look as good as I have ever seen them. Our guest from Kentucky commented about how beautiful the view is as you look out from the field toward Huntsville with the hills in the back ground. It was a beautiful day. Chuck and Arc were on the TV promoting the event this afternoon. We all went into the club house to watch them make their TV debut. What a hoot! It was really just good to get into the AC and out of the heat, but they did a good job.

We had a good trial run today with good flying time. I had been having what I thought was a fuel problem that turned out to be an ignition problem. Here is my plug for Desert Aircraft. These guys in Arizona are terrific. I'm a nobody in the hobby. I'm just one of those little guys, a no name sort of guy that no one is going to go out of there way to watch fly, except the guys at DA. Heck, I don't even own a DA-100 or 150. I just have a little Ole DA-50, but to the guys at DA you would have thought I was really somebody.

Wednesday morning from 7:40 am until 3:00 pm I fought with this problem until my arm was once again worn out. I was hot and sweaty and in no mood to get the run around. I called DA and asked Scott to have an ignition module for a DA-50 sent overnight to my house, and I wanted it delivered by this morning, Thursday. It arrived at 11:00 am. I had the problem solved by noon and was able to fly the Pitts well ahead of the official event kick off, and the engine ran like I had never seen it run before. It was simply perfect.

Thanks Desert Aircraft! This is what customer service is all about. You guys get a 10+ in my book and I will brag about your service every chance I get.

Roger F. Woodward
Asst. CD
Old 07-08-2004, 09:18 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Great news, Roger! Thanks so much. Can't wait to see the big birds!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
ghee-grose

Yup....I'm itching to see that Pitts!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.