Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Engine collection information.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 AM
landy95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine collection information.

Hi all,

My name is Neil and I have joined the forum in the hope of some help as I have the unfortunate task of selling my late fathers model engine collection on behalf of my mother to help towards funeral costs.

I intend to sell them on Ebay unless advised otherwise.

My question is would any of you be able to shed some light on ball park values of his engines as I really have no idea as to the worth of some of them, others I have found emails of prices paid. Some I don't even know who made them, for example one of the twin shaft engines.

Some look new others look used, All the ones in the pictures I have attached the link to are boxed many with instructions and ancillaries.

I am an Engineer by trade I would like advice on what I should do before selling them should I strip them and rebuild them to ensure they are running correctly or am I best leaving them as is? I do not want to de-value them but then again if stripping them gives me a better in-site into there condition this may prove to be worthwhile.

The link is to the photos I have taken so far of his collection, there is still a drawer of unboxed engines and spares to photograph.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128251156@N04/sets/

Many thanks in advance.

Neil
Old 11-01-2014, 08:28 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They all look pretty clean, I wouldn't rebuild them. Maybe a couple of drops of 3 in one oil, or transmission fluid to free them up from sitting. For values, I am not the one to talk about it, although I do seem to be a collector, I really am not, I have plans for everything. I think ebay is ok, there is also a MECA club, Model engine collectors society or something like that that you may want to check out too. Sorry about your dad. I guess it will happen to us all some day.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesels such as you have generally go pretty well on eBay.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:35 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Neil,

My condolences on the loss of your father.

That is a very nice collection of engines! I'm no expert, but I believe you could collect at least a couple of thousand dollars if sold individually on Ebay. There's a few I'd like to get my hands on. Great photography by the way, that and a bit of researched information really helps on Ebay.

Best of luck.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
gossie

Condolences. Very nice lot of engines in a fine condition as they are. Do NOT disturb them by pulling them apart.

We could make a reasonable guess to the value of each and every one of them, but I truly feel best value for your Mother would be to eBay them even with the commission involved.

Your pictures are very good of them and would suggest using those same pictures on eBay. Auction off each engine on it's own, start the bidding very low to get the auction moving quickly, over seven days, and be sure to offer them world wide with postage to suit.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know here when they are on eBay, if you decide to choose that way of selling them, with a number etc............I may even bid on one or two that I'm interested in.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:42 AM
Warren B

Hi Neil,
When you list on Ebay make sure you list international (not sure which country you are posting from).
The diesels you have are quite valuable, but of most interest to people in Australia (like me) UK Canada NZ etc.
Don't use the Ebay shipping "service" as that just double the cost for the buyer and it takes longer too.
I've had zero problems with international Airmail, (although I've heard that Italy can be an issue).
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 AM
landy95

Many thanks to you all, for your advice and condolences, I will as requested put a notice on this site when I begin adding the engines to Ebay, I am in Germany on business next week so will probably start next Saturday.

Cheers

Neil
Old 11-02-2014, 10:01 AM
DaveyMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neil:

I sent you a message in the notifications tab at the top of this page saying much of what has been said here. Again, condolences and best of luck.

Dave Mo..
Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM
JohnAV8R

Your Dad has a very nice collection.
Sorry you lost him.
Maybe keep a couple to remember him by.

The Oliver Mk V , $500 and up.

The other Olivers, several hundreds each, maybe a lot more.
PAWs, maybe $100.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 AM
JohnAV8R

I posted your request on post 7818
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...54975&page=522
You may want to contact Balsabird, he expressed an interest in your P.A.L. McCoy .049 diesel.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 PM
landy95

Originally Posted by Warren B
Hi Neil,
When you list on Ebay make sure you list international (not sure which country you are posting from).
The diesels you have are quite valuable, but of most interest to people in Australia (like me) UK Canada NZ etc.
Don't use the Ebay shipping "service" as that just double the cost for the buyer and it takes longer too.
I've had zero problems with international Airmail, (although I've heard that Italy can be an issue).
As requested I am letting you al know I have just added the first Oliver Tiger MkIII (S) Moded diesel engine to ebay the listing number is 111508010497 on the uk site, it should also be on the US site but not sure. Cheers.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Warren B

Hi Neil
your listing is invisible from Australia
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
landy95

Hi Neil
Oh that's strange I will have a look and see if I can find whats wrong. Cheers.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Neil

Works fine for me!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111508010497...497%26_rdc%3D1

Otherwise go to US ebay and put the Item Number into the Search box.

Ray in Australia.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM
landy95

Originally Posted by qazimoto
Works fine for me!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111508010497...497%26_rdc%3D1

Otherwise go to US ebay and put the Item Number into the Search box.

Ray in Australia.
Thanks for that Ray as I have spent the last hour trying to make changes to the listing, due to bids it will not let me so you have put my mind to rest.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:25 PM
gossie

Looks great in the listing. You should do very well out of it.

If you put other engines on whilst the Tiger is on, then people tend to check what else the seller has for sale. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 PM
JohnAV8R

Very nice. Shows up here (EB**) in Canada.
Good luck. From Tom R. that OT was close to $400, so it will go high.

it went for.....
Winning bid:
£256.00

Last edited by JohnAV8R; 11-14-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 PM
landy95

Hi everyone, the Oliver Tiger Mk3 sold with lots of interest I appreciate all the advice given by you all.

I am listing 3 of the PAW's tonight.
PAW 55 BR Diesel (111515782597)
PAW 15 Mk I GTS (111515786822
PAW 049 Mk I Diesel Ball Bearing (111515788129)

Cheers
Old 11-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Warren B

Hi Neil,
I think you will find there has been a bit of box shuffling.
The 55 is correct.
But the other two are not what the box describes.
Both are non standard with the extra colour added to various bits.
The GTS is definitely not a GTS as it has a vertical intake indicating a much earlier model probably a 2.49 DS (size is usually stamped inside the back plate.
The 049 is not an 049 as they have a screw together cylinder, not bolt on. Also looks affair bit larger than an 049, maybe a 1.49 RC AC?

All good engines, just not as listed, the main worry would be the GTS as a real GTS is a high price exotic thing.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
gossie

That's not hard to fix "landy". Just make a note and add the correct information as Warren B suggests on the eBay auction.
You will probably find the correct boxes and add the photo of it.

If unsure in the future put some pics up and no doubt help will be here.

I hope you and yours were pleased with the price obtained on that lovely Oliver.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM
landy95

Hi Neil,
I think you will find there has been a bit of box shuffling.
The 55 is correct.
But the other two are not what the box describes.
Both are non standard with the extra colour added to various bits.
The GTS is definitely not a GTS as it has a vertical intake indicating a much earlier model probably a 2.49 DS (size is usually stamped inside the back plate.
The 049 is not an 049 as they have a screw together cylinder, not bolt on. Also looks affair bit larger than an 049, maybe a 1.49 RC AC?

All good engines, just not as listed, the main worry would be the GTS as a real GTS is a high price exotic thing.
Oh crap, apologies to the bidders on the 2 engines I have emailed you both personally, due to the "PAW 15 Mk1 GTS" getting up to £21 and not being a GTS I have pulled it off until I can find out what it is, if its not worth £21 I don't want to keep it running with the chance of getting bad feedback. I know you can add a note to tell people of the mistake but its not very clear.

As the "049" was only at £3 I thought it only fair to end this one also until I can work out what that is. It would seem from another ebayer who contacted me that based on dimensions I sent him it is a PAW 19 I also noticed on the crankcase cover it has a very small number 19.

If anyone wants to check out all the engines I shall be selling there are pictures here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128251156@N04/sets/
If I have identified any of them incorrectly I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

I might have to put another Oliver on now as I know these are identified correctly.
I think it may be wise as gossie suggested to post the pics of the next lot on here first for a couple of days and make sure everyone is agreed I have them listed correctly.
Cheers all.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:58 PM
greggles47

Originally Posted by landy95
Oh crap, apologies to the bidders on the 2 engines I have emailed you both personally, due to the "PAW 15 Mk1 GTS" getting up to £21 and not being a GTS I have pulled it off until I can find out what it is, if its not worth £21 I don't want to keep it running with the chance of getting bad feedback. I know you can add a note to tell people of the mistake but its not very clear.

As the "049" was only at £3 I thought it only fair to end this one also until I can work out what that is. It would seem from another ebayer who contacted me that based on dimensions I sent him it is a PAW 19 I also noticed on the crankcase cover it has a very small number 19.

If anyone wants to check out all the engines I shall be selling there are pictures here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128251156@N04/sets/
If I have identified any of them incorrectly I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

I might have to put another Oliver on now as I know these are identified correctly.
I think it may be wise as gossie suggested to post the pics of the next lot on here first for a couple of days and make sure everyone is agreed I have them listed correctly.
Cheers all.
Thanks Neil.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had a quick look at the flickr album there's not too many errors-the Quickstart Wasp is actually a Bantam-not a Wasp, so the box is wrong- the Super Tigre is a 2.5cc G15 model, and the second of the two quickstart Darts listed is a very late 70s/very early 80s model. The 'twin shaft' car engine is probably a Russian RITM-but I wouldn't swear to that (because various people have produced them in small batches over the years)

I agree with the earlier postings regarding the 'coloured' PAWs-there has been a bit of 'enhancement' done-though by whom it is not clear-certainly they didn't leave the factory that way. There are one or two people in the UK who seem to have penchant for 'tarting up' PAWs-and there have been quite a few (at least a dozen that I can think of) that have appeared on Ebay in recent times.
PAW themselves dropped anodising several years back-and in their case it was limited to heads, spinner nuts on the the smaller 55, 049 and 06 models, and venturis on some of the 2.5cc models. [there was also the PK 86 (a version of the PAW 80) produced back in the mid 80s which had a gold head-but these were a 'special' produced for Performance Kits, in small numbers]

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 11-15-2014, 01:32 PM
landy95

Originally Posted by ffkiwi
Having had a quick look at the flickr album there's not too many errors-the Quickstart Wasp is actually a Bantam-not a Wasp, so the box is wrong- the Super Tigre is a 2.5cc G15 model, and the second of the two quickstart Darts listed is a very late 70s/very early 80s model. The 'twin shaft' car engine is probably a Russian RITM-but I wouldn't swear to that (because various people have produced them in small batches over the years)

I agree with the earlier postings regarding the 'coloured' PAWs-there has been a bit of 'enhancement' done-though by whom it is not clear-certainly they didn't leave the factory that way. There are one or two people in the UK who seem to have penchant for 'tarting up' PAWs-and there have been quite a few (at least a dozen that I can think of) that have appeared on Ebay in recent times.
PAW themselves dropped anodising several years back-and in their case it was limited to heads, spinner nuts on the the smaller 55, 049 and 06 models, and venturis on some of the 2.5cc models. [there was also the PK 86 (a version of the PAW 80) produced back in the mid 80s which had a gold head-but these were a 'special' produced for Performance Kits, in small numbers]

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Thanks for the info ChrisM I will correct the info when I list the engines.
Cheers Neil
Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 AM
landy95

Hi all, I have just put on Ebay the Oliver Tiger 2.5cc Twin Shaft car engine if anyone is interested.
OLIVER TIGER 2.5cc TWIN SHAFT CAR ENGINE (111520003700)

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.