Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Return of the Valentine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:32 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Return of the Valentine

After a several year hiatus, I am getting back into the hobby. When I last flew i thought I would fly again the following week. Not sure exactly what happened but I didn't, and 5-6 or 10 years went by like that! Well short story endless the majority of my engines are now locked up with congealed diesel and/or glow fuel.

the .25 schlosser, .3 elfin and Peter Burford engines all loosened up with a loving touch. and a heat gun. The little valentine rova was tighter than a drum. Soaked for days in penetrating oil then acetone to no avail. Afraid to put it in the antifreeze crockpot for fear of it coming out black soot. Damn the torpedos took the plunge and fired up the crockpot of death with a few other hateful little engines and she is free!
Yeah she darkened a bit but at least she rotates!

She flew in a mini old timer Powerhouse so now I can sort out the airframe and return it to service - soon! Progress!

Remember folks when you put the planes up on the shelf after flying, oil the *****es! - you may not be back next weekend!

What magic oil do you guys use which won't congeal? I am using ATF Dextron now.....

Last edited by RocketRob; 01-05-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:10 PM
RocketRob

1/8a or 1/16a?

The original build thread - it has been almost 10 years.

1/8a or 1/16a?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:42 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketRob
1/8a or 1/16a?

The original build thread - it has been almost 10 years.

1/8a or 1/16a?
Cool … can't wait fo rthe next instalment. Did you get her sorted?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:44 PM
RocketRob

I believe so but have not bench tested the engine as yet- not sure if I can get to it before the weekend.

Still having a challenge freeing the crank in a John .3. The piston is free as the cylinder turned off but crank is tighter than a .......

Last edited by RocketRob; 01-06-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:38 AM
RocketRob

Tried to run her up but she is not drawing fuel. Compression is good everything appears sorted. I think there must be a caster clog in the needle valve. this little needle appears pressed in It is certainly not threaded. Need to think this one through. With these tiny engines it is best for me to put them down and take some time rather than plowing ahead in the heat of the battle.
Thoughts/Ideas? I might try stripping the case again and heating it up to see if I can pull the needle valve out?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:26 AM
sosam117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RocketRob
Tried to run her up but she is not drawing fuel. Compression is good everything appears sorted. I think there must be a caster clog in the needle valve. this little needle appears pressed in It is certainly not threaded. Need to think this one through. With these tiny engines it is best for me to put them down and take some time rather than plowing ahead in the heat of the battle.
Thoughts/Ideas? I might try stripping the case again and heating it up to see if I can pull the needle valve out?
RocketRob,
I'm going through the same thing as you. All my PAW engines are stuck, my Enya engines as well. My Mills, and any other engine that I ran with caster oil is gummed up.
I have used a heat gun to loosen it up then spray "Liquid Wrench"(Workhorse - Multi-Purpose Lube) to cut the caster oil.
Then I tear down the engine and place the parts into a fine screen wire basket, then the basket goes into my Ultrasonic Tank with a 10% degreaser solution. The solution is at a tempature of 130°F and the engine gets 20 minutes with the ultrasonic turned on.
When the engine comes out, it looks like it just came from the factory (brand new!)
With the "hot" water in the ultrasonic tank, the degreaser solution, and the vibrations from the sonic tank cleans out every nook and cranny a crock pot can't.
I use to use a crock pot until I messed up a motor (destroyed it). After that I purchased a Ultrasonic tank for cleaning.
I have used it for the wife's jewelry, silver, gold, copper, almost anything I can fit into the micro screen basket.
Don't put your watches into it or they won't work anymore! I have saved money by cleaning the wife's jewelry instead of her taking it to the jeweler to be cleaned.
I have a before and after of my PAW 09 from being cleaned and rebuilt with new gaskets.

So, back to you problem. Have the needle valve removed ( the part the threads in). Heat the engine up where the needle valve is mounted to the engine (make sure your wearing gloves!).
Once it is hot enough (feeling the heat through the gloves). Spray the "Liquid Wrench"(Workhorse - Multi-Purpose Lube) with the plastic "red" straw on the nozzle into the needle valve hole. Now, do the same thing on the fuel inlet side. With the heat, pressure from the lube and the lube its self,should open up the blockage. If not, the only other alternative would be to use a numbered drill and poke the number drill into the fuel inlet side to clear it. Don't use the drilling end! Use the other non-drilling side to clear the blockage.

sosam117
Mike Mac

PAW 09 - gummed up ( can't turn over) Caster oil on muffler / silencer (brass tube stuck as well). Engine not used in 8 years. (left side)

PAW 09 Cleaned up (good as new!) 20 minutes in Ultasonic with 10% degreaser solution at 130°F temp. Rebuilt with new gaskets and brass tube is removable again.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:46 PM
RocketRob

Default All Gummed Up!

Hey Mike, Roger that - All gummed up.
On the little Valentine I can pass a thin copper armature winding wire through the needle into the supply side. It is the tiny little spray hole which I think is clogged and can't get to w/o pulling it apart. Even so your ideas of the vibo-sonic cleaner may just do the trick. i am overdue to buying one!
Thank you for your help buddy!
Your engine looks better than new!