Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Me snipe marine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 07:48 AM
Chrisleasmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me snipe marine

I have a 1960s marine version of the ME Snipe. It is impossible to turn over unless I back off the cooling jacket. Also the piston seems to foul the top of the cylinder. The compression adjustment screw doesn’t have any effect. Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated. Chris
Old 07-20-2023, 10:23 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisleasmith
I have a 1960s marine version of the ME Snipe. It is impossible to turn over unless I back off the cooling jacket. Also the piston seems to foul the top of the cylinder. The compression adjustment screw doesn’t have any effect. Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated. Chris
The contra-piston is probably wedged down the cylinder as far as it can go. There are a number of ways you can return it to the top of the cylinder. The most effective is to carefully strip the engine, clean it in a mild solvent, and remove the piston/rod assembly. Carefully remove the piston if it hasn't come out already. Gentle heating with a hairdryer often helps. Using a wooden dowel of a diameter that will fit in the cylinder, tap the contra from the bottom gently till it will return to the top. Lubrication with ATF or a light oil may help. Once the CP will move use the dowel to tap it up and down the cylinder a few times.

Be gentle at all times with the engine.

I have recently successfully loosened a stuck contra in a 60 y/o Taipan diesel engine without disassembly. But that's another story.

Last edited by qazimoto; 07-20-2023 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisleasmith (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 10:45 PM
Chrisleasmith

Default ME Snipe Mariny

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be gentle! Chris
Old 07-23-2023, 02:46 AM
Chrisleasmith

Default Me snipe marine

Thanks for the advice. It worked perfectly. Chris