Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Compression Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 09:22 PM
mgmac78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression Diesels

Hi all,

Newby with the first post... Just a question regarding a few compression diesels I have had fall into my possession. I've never owned or run any ever so these are a bit of a first for me...

The first, because that is the one I only just now test run, is an Aurora K Mills 1.3. I'm pretty sure it's an early one being plain silver crankcase and silver head. I just want to confirm which direction it's supposed to run. Clockwise (viewed from front)? Just wanting to make sure as its the opposite to my glow engines, which means with my normal collection of props it's a "pusher" at the moment... Sorting the ingredients for fuel for these here in Australia is a bit problematic. I kero and castor oil are easy enough, but for ether I had to use a can of 50% ether engine start spray can...

The others I have are an Aurora K Mills 0.75, a Davies Charlton .036 Quickstart Dart, a Mills .75 Diesel, a PAW 249-DS with the silencer, and a Yin Yan (Silver Swallow) 2.4. I did have a Taipan MK4 as well but I gave that to a mate of mine already. I've only run the K Mills 1.3 at this stage and I just wanted to know if I needed a selection of LH props for these ones. I'll probably end up selling them all because I have no purpose for them, but not just yet...

Any info or tips would be awesome. Cheers
Old 07-22-2023, 11:08 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmac78
Hi all,

Newby with the first post... Just a question regarding a few compression diesels I have had fall into my possession. I've never owned or run any ever so these are a bit of a first for me...

The first, because that is the one I only just now test run, is an Aurora K Mills 1.3. I'm pretty sure it's an early one being plain silver crankcase and silver head. I just want to confirm which direction it's supposed to run. Clockwise (viewed from front)? Just wanting to make sure as its the opposite to my glow engines, which means with my normal collection of props it's a "pusher" at the moment... Sorting the ingredients for fuel for these here in Australia is a bit problematic. I kero and castor oil are easy enough, but for ether I had to use a can of 50% ether engine start spray can...

The others I have are an Aurora K Mills 0.75, a Davies Charlton .036 Quickstart Dart, a Mills .75 Diesel, a PAW 249-DS with the silencer, and a Yin Yan (Silver Swallow) 2.4. I did have a Taipan MK4 as well but I gave that to a mate of mine already. I've only run the K Mills 1.3 at this stage and I just wanted to know if I needed a selection of LH props for these ones. I'll probably end up selling them all because I have no purpose for them, but not just yet...

Any info or tips would be awesome. Cheers
Model diesel engines normally run Anti- Clockwise from the front just like the other sorts. This suits the standard "tractor" props. It just happens that Mills 'Sideport" style engines like your Indian versions will happily run either way. Solvent grade Ether is available in Australia it just depends where you are and what questions you ask to get it. 50% Ether starting fluid is probably too low. I made some inquiries about getting John Deere starting fluid (80%?) once and was told by multiple dealers that it was unobtainable.

A wisk of Amsoil Cetane Booster (about 1-2% in the fuel) will tame the front induction engines you have. That's quite easy to get and cheap.

So the big question is where are you? The answer will determine the source of Ether available to you.

Last edited by qazimoto; 07-22-2023 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:55 PM
mgmac78

I'm in Wodonga, VIC. I found the 50% ether ran quite well in fact. I did find the engine had a slight miss in occasion but I found after one of the runs that the head had come loose... My 1.3 K Mills it would seem only runs clockwise. Well it sort of ran anti but it was horrid and I couldn't get it past a low idle and would run for a few seconds and then stop. Clockwise it runs very well.

I'll have to test run a few of the others to see which way it goes. It might just be that one engine that does it...

Cheers Qaz.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:10 AM
qazimoto

Originally Posted by mgmac78
I'm in Wodonga, VIC. I found the 50% ether ran quite well in fact. I did find the engine had a slight miss in occasion but I found after one of the runs that the head had come loose... My 1.3 K Mills it would seem only runs clockwise. Well it sort of ran anti but it was horrid and I couldn't get it past a low idle and would run for a few seconds and then stop. Clockwise it runs very well.

I'll have to test run a few of the others to see which way it goes. It might just be that one engine that does it...

Cheers Qaz.

For diesel fuel try this chap, he's called Ken and he's in Melbourne. I'm sure that there's someone in Albury/Wodonga who should have a source for Di Ethyl Ether I just can't remember who at this stage. I'll get back to you if I find out.

Talk to Ken about it he may have a solution, no pun intended.

Ray

Old 07-23-2023, 12:16 AM
qazimoto

Just for the record the ad shown above comes from a monthly newsletter published in Victoria called ACLN, Australian Control Line News. Good background reading, because many readers/correspondents use Diesels.

ACLN Newsletter «

Last edited by qazimoto; 07-23-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:43 AM
mgmac78

Thanks Qaz. I do get down to Melbourne on occasion so that'll be pretty handy.

Cheers