Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

covering airplanes for diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 09:05 AM
Trfourtune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering airplanes for diesel

I'm returning to the hobby in my retirement and i used to do only dope and sig silkspan covering in the old days ( glow plug engines). i am building some planes for diesel engine use. what are the covering recommendations for diesel powered airplanes. i dont like the look of plastic coverings and i want strong, tight, fuel resistant and fairly light. i want a painted finish. i will glass the engine bay. i dont want sagging in heat. i'm not into see through models even though they are lighter. my plan was polyspan, doped. 52" se5a and sig senior kadet with airlerons added.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:56 PM
Ployd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to recommend Polyspan as the way to go. A lot of modellers in OZ have used it on F/F, C/L and r/c models with no problems provided you know which is the "shiny side" (most important and common mistake made by those unfamiliar with this material) and that it is well doped after heat shrinking. There is a bit of "black art" using this stuff so some experimentation is required before covering a new model, but once mastered you will never use "plastic" to cover a model. For fuel proofing I use a 2 part water based polyurathane brushed on clear marine varnish, impervious to diesel fuel.

Entirely covered with Aerospan (local equivalent to Polyspan)

Ployd in OZ

Last edited by Ployd; 08-18-2023 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Up date information