Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Why Kerosene, not Gasolene?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Kerosene, not Gasolene?

I don't have access to ether or amyl nitrate to do the experiment, so I need to ask. As I recall, gasolene has even more btu/liter than kerosene. Is there some reason we don't use it in model diesel fuel? I understand that there is danger of fumes being explosive with gas and not kero, but considering the ether, I presume the added risk would be minimal, and you sure can tell that something is leaking!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why Kerosene, not Gasolene?

ORIGINAL: DesignMan

I don't have access to ether or amyl nitrate to do the experiment, so I need to ask. As I recall, gasolene has even more btu/liter than kerosene. Is there some reason we don't use it in model diesel fuel? I understand that there is danger of fumes being explosive with gas and not kero, but considering the ether, I presume the added risk would be minimal, and you sure can tell that something is leaking!
Use methylethylketone Peroxide as ignition improver, you find it as glassfibre hardener (polyesterbased glassfibre).

I am not sure what is Gasolene, but you can use Autodiesel, jet A1, lampoil, petroleum, kerosene.

Jens Eirik
Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 PM

Great tip on the MEKP. The druggies aren't on to that yet, so you can still actually buy it! I can get starter fluid that is mostly ether, so perhaps I can try my own mix afterall.

Gasolene is what we run non-diesel cars on. I don't know any other name for it, but most of what you specified are varying grades of Kerosene. On the other hand, I flunked chemistry, then scraped by with a D to get it out of the way. Not my thing, I guess.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess you would have a bad pre-ignition problem . put gasoline in full size diesel engine
and you will destroy it instantly
Old 03-15-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, Diesel fuel has more BTU/gallon than gasoline, 132,000 to about 125,000. Disesl is rated with a Cetane number, higher is easier to autoignight. US fuels run in the 40-45+ range, European runs 50+ and they get all the good Diesel cars [:@] Gasoline is rated with an Octane number, which is its resistance to autoignition (why spark ignition is used) from hot spots in the combustion chamber.

For a variety of reasons, use Diesel/kerosene (effectively No. 1Diesel) in your model Diesel fuel mix.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: John C
Disesl is rated with a Cetane number, higher is easier to autoignight.
MEKP reducing ignition lag and increasing Cetane, do not overdone to add more MEKP. Max 3%, to much MEKP making more hotter and detonating.

Ether helping to ignite kerosene cause ether has low ignition temperature at 370.4 F (180 C), kerosene/autodiesel about 482 F (250 C) make it difficult to ignite in our small engines.

ORIGINAL: John C
European runs 50+
Wrong, our european dieselfuel are about at 60 cetane..
I am car mechanic.

Jens Eirik

Jens, be nice, 50+ is not wrong, 60 is 50+, Thanks, Dave
Old 03-17-2004, 02:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

"Gasoline" is called "Petrol" in most non-US English speaking parts of the world.

fiery
Old 03-17-2004, 03:37 AM

Petrol ( gasoline ) would not be able to cope with the high compression ratios used in compression ignition engines, it would cause severe detonation.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:38 AM

Why could you not control this "detonation" with compression setting as is done with kerosene?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: DesignMan

Why could you not control this "detonation" with compression setting as is done with kerosene?
It is not problem to run dieselengine with gasoline instead kerosene. Mr. David-Andersen ran own dieselengines with gasoline in 1945-50 years. He wrote about it in his book about "Model diesel engines" where he used gasoline, white spirit (cleaner for paints) (kerosene and autodiesel too). He mixed in 1 part gasoline, 1 part ether, 1 part oil.

But gasoline are more dry than kerosene when i thinking about lubricating in moving parts.

Jens Eirik
Old 03-18-2004, 05:52 PM

MOTORBOY, I stand corrected, obviously you have researched this more than I have. - I was looking at it more from an automotive point of view I guess.
Sounds like quite an interesting book, maybe I'll be able to find it and have a look sometime, most types of engines interest me, but it seems that there are quite a few facts I still don't know about model aircraft engines!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:35 PM

Surely Gasolene is not nearly as "dry" as Alcohol and Nitromethane, and glow engines use less oil than diesels, usually.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Willdo
Sounds like quite an interesting book, maybe I'll be able to find it and have a look sometime, most types of engines interest me, but it seems that there are quite a few facts I still don't know about model aircraft engines!
The book was wrote in 1945. But i has not tried it self in my dieselengine.

Jens Eirik
Old 04-17-2004, 12:21 AM

MOTORBOY,

How much MEKP do you use mixed with Kerosene?

Thanks