Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Diesel ST-4500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 03:25 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel ST-4500?

Hi guy's i was just wondering if it would be possible to convert a ST-4500 to diesel??? reason I ask is I have a new ST-4500 installed inverted in a Vailly Hurricane, and I cannot seem to get the ST to transitional from long idle to full throttle reliably... I just was thinking of maybe converting to diesel??? just a thought at this point as I have not aware if it could even be done?
Old 04-19-2004, 06:00 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Diesel ST-4500?

Check with Bob Davis at Davis diesel he as had very good sucess with the big ST conversions he does have a head for the 4500 , From whatI have read this is a powerhouse monster their email is [email protected] (if this comes up twice the second one is right
Old 04-19-2004, 06:51 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dieseldan, I will contact Davis Diesel...

Cheers-
Old 04-19-2004, 08:48 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had helped Bob with this head and it was to say the least was an interesting experience to get right. That said the head is very good and is capable of swinging a 24/8 a 24/6/10 and I did run a 24/10 briefly. These are serious props for a 2.7C.I. motor and are usually found on 4.2 C.I stuff.
Oh RPM were in the neighborhood of 6.6Kto6.8 with the different props and idle was as low as 600rpm. A modern glow at 600 has an unearthly sound to hear and is really kind of magical, the beat of the prop with the really subdued growl of the motor is exhilerating.
Incidentally I used a large soundmaster tuned muffler for this and you really had a hard time hearing this motor in the air at any distance, impossible in traffic. Plane was a giant Airtrax, a really great design sadly no longer available.
Oh and fuel consumption goes from the usual 1.5-2 oz per minute at full throttle to about 1oz at full throttle for this size motor that is incredable. Take the time to run it in as a glow , you cannot just put this head on and play. Your motor should be well broken in with a good ring seal. I also used an electric starter so I didn't have to reset the compression every time. Soumds horrible when first started but smoothes out in about a minute. fuel was Davis super tigre blend.
If your going to ues 22 inch props then use a 22/10 or 22/12, I forger that the rpm were with those. Incidentally the 4500m developes it's best power when proped to go no faster then 7.2 /3 K
Hope that this is of some help.
Dennis
Old 04-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am still waiting for the parts to overhaul my 4500, and will convert it as soon as it is re-broken in. It may end up on my Giant Stinger just so I can put it on something.