Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Basic Questions

Old 05-02-2006, 01:17 AM
TestPilot6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Questions

1. are there popular commercial diesel engine about 2 to 3 hp for model aircraft? What are the prices?

2. is diesel more fuel efficient in the above category? if so, by how much?

3. what are the typical fuel mixture?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Bodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Basic Questions

1. No

2. n/a

3. Paraffin - 40%
Ether - 35
Castor - 23
IPN - 2 (Iso Propyl Nitrate, Amyl nitrate/nitrate (stinks and is dangerous) and others...)

I will stand corrected on points 1 & 2: point 3 is down to engine type and personal preference. I have found the above fuel is a good compromise for a run-in, ball raced engine. PAWs (and Sharmas?) like more oil. I have run PAWs on 33% each, no IPN, successfully.

Paraffin (kerosene) has a higher calorific value than methanol, so it should liberate more energy in combustion. Having said that, the engines I have converted from glow to diesel tend (at this time) to perform better as glows. Maybe I do not yet have the fuel optimised, but I will persevere since I like diesels.

The biggest commercial diesel I know of is the MVVS 61, however, messrs Davis of Davis Diesels and AJ Coholic both do conversions, which are very effective and may fit larger engines - certainly 91s.

As with all questions of this nature your mileage will vary, but persevere - diesels are entertaining if smelly things - you will always attract a crowd at the flying field when you start one up.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Basic Questions

The Super Tigre 4500 Diesel conversion may produce that kind of power and would burn about 1/2 as much fuel as its glow counter-part. Davis Diesel Ball Bearing fuel would be the best fuel for the 4500.