Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Irvine .20 Deisel Head

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Irvine .20 Deisel Head

I received a Diesel head for my Irvine .20 in the mail today from Fiery, he had a couple of them. I have it on the engine already, it was missing the grub screw that tensions the compression screw but it is a standar 4mm grub screw and I had one. I will run it tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics. I nade up the 6 oz tank especially for the .20 and will try the Graupner 10.5x6 first, I also have a 10.5x5 and a 10x5.5, my Saito .30 turns the 10.5x5 at 10,400 rpm so I think the .20 should be there also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64527.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	891708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41741.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	891709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71755.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	891710  
Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Irvine .20 Deisel Head

Glad to see the head arrived safely Hobbsy ... upon reflection the package was a little "small" . I had concerns it may have "slipped through the cracks" somewhere along the line and been lost in the mail.

Your advice on using a 4 mm grub screw for head tensioning is something I will remember. Make sure you locktite it once you are happy with tension. I have lost more than one of them in flight [:@] because I forgot to do that. You would have noticed the brass stopper in the recess which prevents the bottom of the grub screw from burring the threads on the contra-piston adjusting screw.

In operation you will see a little oil leakage past the contra, not a lot, but a couple of drops per run. No viton rings on these. I have never experienced the contra falling out of the head, thank goodness.

If you want the original instructions, fuel mix recommendation, and parts list for the .20D, PM me your address again. I will photocopy and air post them to you. Or maybe Martin can, if he has them.

I am overhauling my .20D at the moment. After over 10 years of on-and-off use, a warm crockpot antifreeze bath is in order. I have new in packet gl*w and diesel heads for it, which I bought eight years ago.

On the original .20D, there is a non-removable (shrink fitted) restrictor insert in the tail pipe of the silencer. Presumably the intent was to narrow the outlet to help with back pressure (maybe for stable idle performance?), or in line with the theory that model diesels are happy with a more restrictive exhaust set up (?). On the diesel silencer the usual pressure nipple was replaced with a hex head brass blanking screw.

However, I have run my .20D with a standard Irvine .20 silencer. I destroyed the original that came with my .20D in a bad crash; and a gl*w spec replacement was all that was available as a spare part. I did not notice any degradation in reliability however I also used a small size exhaust deflector elbow to put back some restriction. I salvaged the hex head screw from the written off silencer and installed it on the gl*w spec silencer. I have not tried silencer pressure.

I also believe the barrel on the carb on mine is of a narrower bore than the standard gl*w spec Irvine .20 carb ... it certainly looks small. Fuel draw without pressure is not an issue.

I am looking forward to your reports on throttling performance.

I might email JustEngines to see if any piston and liner sets are still available for these engines. I don't hold out much hope though, the engine is now long out of production.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Hobbsy

Thanks Derek, the mail lady laughed when she handed the package to me, she said, "all the way from Australia huh, see we're good aren't we", who could argue with that. The brass insert is in place under the tension screw. My Irvine .40D has the reducer in the muffler that you mentioned, I don't think it is needed on the .20. If so I can whip one up in nothing flat. Let me know what JE says about the liner and piston. Thanks again, I'll enjoy it. I have a 20 sized TeleMaster somewhere that begs for that engine.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Hobbsy

I ran the .20 today with the 10.5x6 and got 8,800 rpm, 9,000 is doable but it's pushing things a little. I'll try the 10x5.5 Monday.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 AM
fiery

Hobbsy

I ran mine with a 9x6 MA black ... nothin' fancy for the wee workhorse, and it worked well.

It seemed to love to rev, and made a wicked burble on the overrun when you throttled back quickly from max revs ...

fiery
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 PM
fiery

No luck with sourcing a piston & liner set ... they are no longer made.

JustEngines advise that if they come across any as new old stock, they will let me know.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Hobbsy

Thanks Derek, I'll get back here when I put it on a plane and fly it. It did start easy and ran smooth.