Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Norvel

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 03:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel

Will the Norvel Revlite .049/061 run on your conversion head? Any starting, throttling problems?
Old 06-09-2003, 02:55 PM
ddd

Default Norvel

yes works just like the old model only a little better due to improved heat retention of the rev-lite.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Norvel

Yous say improved heat retention. The newer Revlites have much larger cooling fins than the old. Seems to me they'd run cooler,, a negatory with diesels.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:03 PM
ddd

Default Norvel

That would be true normally but the oxide finish they call rev-lite turned out to be a very poor conductor of heat, that is why the Fin's are so much larger. Here is a good question: What manufacturer would add to his cost by using more metal to make a cylinder intentionally? Answer only someone that wanted the wear characteristics and did't care about weight or cost. Remember there Russians not Americans they have a different way of looking at business its a new thing for them.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:15 AM

Default Norvel

That's a good point. Revlite is actually hard anodized, or aluminum oxide of a sort. Perhaps something of an insulator. Will do some research.

The early Revlites had normally sized fins though. I had thought that the large fins were something of a cosmetic, marketing tool. Many complained about how ugly the Norvels looked and it appeared that the larger fins were the answer to that complaint.

Having said that, and thinking that the Revlites ran too cool, I've turned down the fins substantially on two of the .074s and have had no problems whatsoever with overheating. I did this primarily because I fly in the winter and was concerned about overcooling. The cut down fins haven't been a problem even in the summer with very hot, and humid days. Perhaps I'll try the head conversion on a cut down .061 and see what happens.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:57 AM
ddd

Default Norvel

Go for it.