Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Smaller carb

Old 06-20-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smaller carb

If a diesel conversion runs best with the throttle open only 75 or 80 % then why not install a carb that only has 80% of the total bore? For example my MECOA .46 has a carb bore of .300". The LEO .25 has the same neck that fits into the engine but the bore is .256" or aprox 85% of the bore of the original .46 carb.

Purpose built diesels have small carb bores and have great fuel draw. MECOA one of these carbs for $18.00. Pros? Cons?

Oily in Germantown

Francis
Old 06-24-2003, 04:14 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smaller carb

why spend the$$$ just run at 75% I have 3 irvine 53s and one irvine46 with davis diesel heads stock (hugh carbs) no problems\
this small carb thing is a left over Brit tradition and they also did \
did not run muffler pressure to tank see my review (martin Bender) on davis diesel site
Old 07-14-2003, 07:05 PM

Default Smaller carb

I always have that problem with diesel conversions. they use less fuel and so have a weaker draw. Muffler pressure helps but the tank begins to fill with goo! Smaller carbs usually do the trick.

Max
Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM

Default Smaller carbs

It is my understanding that LEO makes MECOA engines. @ the website for LEO the LEO .25 carb has the same neck as the .46 and about 80% of the throat. Next time an order goes out to MECOA I think that I'll get a smaller carb.

Oily in Germantown

Francis