Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Breakfest with Benno

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Breakfest with Benno

We messed around with DD's .25cc yesterday. It's starts very easy and was tuning was a treat. We didn't have a tach so no numbers. I think he likes it.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM

LoL, you have a keen eye for the obvious!

Man, I can't believe this little guy.... initially I labored over the choice between the .5 and the .25, but a Good Friend who has a lot more diesel experience than I kept at me to pick up the .25 because it was so special and the .5 wasn't all that different to a plain-jane PAW 33 power wise. What made it hard for me was seeing Gkamysz's AE .1 give him fits-I'm a relative noob with diesels having only started a few with most of the runs being short since they weren't in airplanes. In fact, I really didn't want to start this Schlosser without Greg being there to help-I'm pretty good with the care and feeding of high performance small bore glow engines, but I didn't want to take the chance on breaking a rod on one of these little guys given how hard it would be to replace without resorting to making one myself.

I couldn't have been happier or relieved with it's handling characteristics. The night before Greg got here, I fired it a few times on the prime to get a feel for what it wanted and was relieved that it wasn't too sensitive to being overprimed. Obviously, being a 1/4 cc engine it's easy to do if you are a hamfist-but anyone who can reliably start a TD .010 from cold will find a Schlosser .25 a lot easier to fire. Just wetting the exhaust slit to the point of getting a miniscus (capillary action forming a radius) of fuel between the piston and port opening will always get the engine to fire on the second flip, hot or cold. Priming the venturi never seemed to help things much and the few times I did just flooded it-believe me, fuel flows well from the starting postion. The 3/4 turn starting position of the needle valve setting really isn't an exaggeration-the fuel in the line easily moves under gravity at this setting. Thankfully, once running she needles very nicely over a range of about 1/3 turn from the starting position. My engine doesn't have but a few minutes on it but I could feel it 'coming in' as the piston and liner got acquainted with each other, requiring less compression.

Speaking of compression, all runs were short so I got a good feel for setting the bar-I didn't monkey with the settings that it came from Benno, it fired from the supplied position easily, and needed about 1/4 turn to run clean when cold, then backed off to a little more compressed than where I started once warmed and needled. The little guy is pretty good about telling you when it's overcompressed, you get a lot of warning because the compression adjustment is very forgiving. I don't have a lot of engines to compare to, but if this isn't a friendly engine, I don't know what one would be like, priming sensitivity aside.

Just going by ear, the Graupner 6x3 was spinning in the 8500-9k range, which will improve I am sure. It's pretty obvious that the engine is still breaking in, and fuel consumption is quite high for it's size. It will get better though!

ETA: The pics I had seen of the Sclosser engines don't do them justice. You have to have one in your fingers to admire them in their sheer pert opulence. The castings are very fine-any other manufacturer would sandblast them to hide imperfections. They are soo sharp and crisp, the machining of the head so neat.. Even the needle valve is sized for the engine and stays put while running.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM
My Feedback: (19)

I had my camera and should have taken some video. Doh! Now you need to come up with an airplane to put it in.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread and contributing so much to it, Rob. Also thanks, other contributors. Altogether, a lot of info on Benno Schlosser, including the human, personal side. My German friend Luitpold knows Benno and has visited him and seen his engines. Thru Poldi, I have a 1cc and .5cc RC with exhaust collectors and a .25 cc with collector.

But what I wanted to contribute is this. I also got a couple extra of Benno's RC carbies. Like the engines, they are little jewels. They also work great. I have the 1cc carb on a PAW 1cc Mk 1 RC ballbearing engine. With its original PAW carb, this engine idled and throttled poorly. With the Schlosser carb, it is by far my best-throttling diesel! And I mean that it does idle and throttle superbly! Superbly!

Whoever may want such a carbie, perhaps Dave Owen can help.

Regards. -Gary

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61697.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1425662  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Good to know....
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Ran it again tonight when I took it over to me Dad's. He flew diesel control line models when we were stationed at RAF Lakenheath. (I was too young to remember). He hasn't played with a diesel since, and prosetylized about how he preferred the smell to glow engines. Then he wanted me to start it in the basement of his McMansion as Wicked Stepmother wasn't home. I offered to take it outside. She can't smell the dog when it just got sprayed by a skunk (and let her in the house[X(]), but she could smell the engine in a box all the way across the house when she came home.

The runs are getting better, but I had more trouble starting it today. Sometimes I think it's flooded when it isn't, others I just prime the port a little bit and it locks up solid. Nothing that can't be remedied with a few minutes worth of troubleshooting. I think part of it is that the fuel in the line (I'm running about 6" of fuel line, no tank) runs easily enough downhill at the needle setting it needs to run at that it is flooding when I handle it and tip it up to prime. I did have one really wierd run where it started normally but only ran about half speed-I thought for sure I had broken a wrist pin or cracked the crank. I played with compression and needle and nothing changed 4k or so was all it was giving. Flipping it over again felt normal, so I let 'er rip and it ran like normal again. Could it be a sticky contrapiston?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: gmedson

Thanks for starting this thread and contributing so much to it, Rob. Also thanks, other contributors. Altogether, a lot of info on Benno Schlosser, including the human, personal side. My German friend Luitpold knows Benno and has visited him and seen his engines. Thru Poldi, I have a 1cc and .5cc RC with exhaust collectors and a .25 cc with collector.

But what I wanted to contribute is this. I also got a couple extra of Benno's RC carbies. Like the engines, they are little jewels. They also work great. I have the 1cc carb on a PAW 1cc Mk 1 RC ballbearing engine. With its original PAW carb, this engine idled and throttled poorly. With the Schlosser carb, it is by far my best-throttling diesel! And I mean that it does idle and throttle superbly! Superbly!

Whoever may want such a carbie, perhaps Dave Owen can help.

Regards. -Gary

gmedson, is the Schlosser carb a drop-in replacement for the paw carb, or is any modicafication required? Also, i am curious to know whether you have used an exhaust collector on the paw with a Schlosser carb?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi Kiteflyer- No, is not drop-in. Schlosser carb has a spiggot that is about 0.233 inches in diameter and I had to turn it down to 0.200 to fit the PAW. No prob, if one has a lathe. Carb body would be difficult to hold in a drill chuck to turn against a file. But Mother is the necessity of invention.

BTW, the Schlosser carb has a choke area that is 0.09 inches in diameter, compared to about 0.12 inches for the PAW carb.

I have not used the PAW exhaust collector. I don't know why. I have a new one in the box! In the meantime, I have recovered the airplane twice and it needs it a third time, owing to oily fuel-soaking!

Regards. -Gary
Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM

I used a bridgeport mill to turn down a G-Mark .061 carb down to fit a VA .049. The next sized collet can be drawn down to hold in intake, then you just mount a cutting tool in a vise and walk the vise into the part. Easy-Peasy.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the info, Gary. I don't have a lathe, but i think i will still get a Schlosser carb and have someone perform the modification for me. I asked about the exhaust collector, because i was wondering whether it might have an adverse effect on the throttle response.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Hi Kiteflier I don't know for sure about the exhaust collector since I have not tried it. But, in general, a bit of exhaust restriction helps throttling.

I can help you with the machining. The price would be right. Free!

Regards. -Gary
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: gmedson

Hi Kiteflier I don't know for sure about the exhaust collector since I have not tried it. But, in general, a bit of exhaust restriction helps throttling.

I can help you with the machining. The price would be right. Free!

Regards. -Gary
That's very nice of you, Gary. I will contact you once i have acquired a carb.

Sulman
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been surprised about the schlosser carbs small choke - yet they perform very well - don't let it throw you.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Hi Kiteflyer I just ran my PAW 06 (with Schlosser carb) with the exhaust collector. Turns out to not run quite as well as without the collector. Without: 12,000 rpm with Graupner 7x3 and idle 3,500. With: 11,500 and 3,800. Acceleration from low to high throttle also seems slightly poorer with collector. BUT performance with collector is still very good for a throttled diesel engine. And after I have covered the wee airplane for the third time, owing to fuel-soaking, I WILL be using the collector and some large-diameter tubing to route the oily mess away.

Good luck on getting a Schlosser carb.

And RocketRob I have been using rc carbs with small choke areas on various engines. Sacrifices some rpm but sometimes gives better throttling. Have also discovered that all rc carbies are not equal wrt their application to diesels! .10-size Thunder Tiger air-bleed carb gave poor results on my PAW Contest 249. But Philtech .09 rc carb gives excellent idle and throttling! Philtech has about 0.130 in diameter choke area; TT .10, 0.150, so relative merits unclear regarding venturi size or carb itself. Another story. On my Taipan 2.5cc glow Goldhead, for which I made a diesel head, throttling was kinda poor with Thunder tiger .15 and .10 air-bleed carbs. But is much better with the original 2-needle Taipan glow rc carb, DESPITE the Taipan carb having a huge choke area. Huge for a diesel, that is. I have not gotten around to bushing it down yet.

Regards, Gary
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Gary, thanks for the update on the running with an exhaust collector. Given that there is only one source, a Schlosser carb is harder to get than i thought. I will continue to look for one, though.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked Benno for a couple .5 carbs during our visit but he had none and had to buy the complete engines.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 PM
SGC

Just received David Owens new price list, in it he has a note indicateing that Benno is winding down production of his engines , the 1cc is no longer available as are the exhaust collectors for the .5 and .25 engines. I replied and put my name on a .25
Also he says MPJet is makeing another replica diesel a 1948 Super Atom 1.8cc, also production continues on the .6cc Classic and 2.5cc Letmo.
Davids note on Schlossers :-
" Benno Schlosser is an elderly gentleman in his mid-80s. He now appears to be winding down production of his superb twin-ballrace diesels. The 0.98cc engines are no longer available; nor are the neat exhaust collectors which were fitted to some engines. As at this date, I have only the Standard 0.50cc diesels in stock. The next shipment of engines should be here soon and I have a feeling it may be the last. It will include the wonderful little 0.25cc diesels and may include both Std and R/C 0.50cc diesels. I keep Schlosser needle valves, conrods and other small parts."
Stewart
PS Rob , have you compiled you notes on your vistite with Benno? if you havent the time could you email what you have to me and I'll try and compose something for Modelenginenews.
Stewart
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Copy from Page 3 of David Owens latest pricing and information schedule. Please note 3rd last paragraph. Email me if you want the full Stock and Pricing Schedule and I will email it to your advised e-address

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM DAVID OWEN

I will be overseas from the start of August until the end of September. During this period I will be looking for new products to complement my existing ranges.

New MPJet stock left the Czech Republic on the 30th June and should arrive early July. All back-orders will be sent out straight away.
All new orders received up to and including the 31st of July will be shipped.
After that date, deliveries will be resumed in the first week of October.

I thank you all for your orders and hope this break in service will not be too inconvenient. Work on the new T2.5cc engine will also resume just as soon as I return home and deliveries of this are expected to commence not too long after.

Just a few notes regarding changes to stock:

• the incoming MPJ Classic 0.6cc Diesels, which are so popular for the Tomboy R/C event, will now include the larger 3cc tank, giving the maximum allowable fuel capacity for this event. The engines will still include the standard 2cc alloy fuel bowl and the spinner nut. However, the clear fuel bowl (as depicted) which I have been supplying for years will no longer be included with the engine as a number have proven to be faulty. The complimentary screw sets also previously supplied will be discontinued as stocks are depleted.

• MPJet have released another replica engine to complement the excellent Letmo 2,5cc Diesel. This will be a replica of the 1948 Super Atom 1,8cc Diesel, a very well-known Czechoslovakian engine in the late ‘40s. I have not seen this new engine yet, but expect it to be made to the same very high-standard as previous engines from MPJ. Full details and a photograph will be available soon.

• Benno Schlosser is an elderly gentleman in his mid-80s. He now appears to be winding down production of his superb twin-ballrace diesels. The 0.98cc engines are no longer available; nor are the neat exhaust collectors which were fitted to some engines. As at this date, I have only the Standard 0.50cc diesels in stock. The next shipment of engines should be here soon and I have a feeling it may be the last. It will include the wonderful little 0.25cc diesels and may include both Std and R/C 0.50cc diesels. I keep Schlosser needle valves, conrods and other small parts.

• I am holding back-orders for both MPJet and Schlosser engines, but good incoming stocks should allow new orders to be honoured for a couple of months. However, if your interest is the MPJet 0.6cc engine for Tomboy, or any of the Schlossers for that matter, please bear in mind that all available supplies can and have been sold out quickly in the past.

• Though overseas, I will access my emails regularly. So queries can be answered briefly and orders noted for action upon my return in October.

Regards to all

David Owen

EDIT:

Apologies to Stewart (SGC) as I see you must have posted moments before I did to advise the news on the apparent winding down of production of Schlosser diesels
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

For an update of availability of Schlosser diesels and spares, please go to page three of the document at this link:

http://oea.modelenginenews.org/pricelist_2010-11.pdf