Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Exceed RC Support - Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Exceed RC Eagle 50 vibration problems

Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Exceed RC Eagle 50 vibration problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed RC Eagle 50 vibration problems

Helo all,

I am the owner of an Exceed RC Eagle 50. I purchased it about a year ago, and flew well hoveringabout the first ten or so flights. Onthe next flight, I decided to step it up, and use the rudder a little moreto turn the heli almost around facing me. I was getting pretty good at ituntil it just got a little too tilted, and bam.The crashchipped the blades (thank goodness for the foldingblades or it would havebeen much worse) bent the tail boom, and snapped both ball and socket joints that connect the blade tothe swash plate push rod (the short ones).Luckily I stopped the motor before it crashed, so I didn't burn it out. I straightened the tail boom back out andput the spare blades on it, and then ordered new rotor joints. I put these on, and tested the movement of everyting in my room, and it looked good. Then I brought it outside to fly and brought the engine up tospeed, and there was a very rough wobbling, to where the ground waseven shaking from it. When I powered up to take offpitch ofthe blades, the wobbling was tremendous andit wouldnot lift off. I suspected that it was the main rotor shaft which was bent, butI looked at it, and it was straight ( I know even a minute bend in the shaft will cause alot of wobbling). If anyone can help me, especially maybe Andy,Iwould appreciate it so much. I am a pilot myself, andjust cannot figure this out!Thanks.

Bobby
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exceed RC Eagle 50 vibration problems

ok I'm sure your main shaft is bent to verify this you must remove it and roll it down on a mirror and see if the shaft roll straight down a small incline. If the shaft is bent it's very noticeable as it roll down the mirror.

So blade tracking is very important. After you replace the linkages I'm sure your main blade are not tracked so it caused the wobble. To track the rotor head you can refer to video all over youtube.com

ANdy
Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Hey, thanks for answering my question Andy. Was getting a little worried that you did'nt see my post. If you could possibly help me understand how to disasemble the heli to take out the main shaft, that would help alottttttt, as I am still a little new to this heli setup. As far as I can see, I would just need to unbutton the servo linkages, and then unscrew the top linkages which connect the flybar to the swash plate linkages, then pop off the flybar ( I think I've tryed this before and i was afraid i would breake it), then I would unscrew the main rotor blade head metal assembly by loosening the alan screw with an alan wrench, then slide off the main blades (by the way, itseems that there is athree pronged shaft at the top.....does this need special care?), then it look like Ican slide off the whole swash plate assembly (though I hope this does not hurt any of the swash plate bearings), then I would have to loosenthe second alan wrench fitting near the shaft, then............. well, I don't know how Iwould take it out, because the main large gear is still underneath the shaft mounting plate, but still above the heli frame?

As far as Ican see, just sittinghere looking at it, that's what seems to be needing to bedone. If I am wronganywhere, pleaselet me know, and sorry for asking all the questions. I just really want this heli to get fixed. Thanks for taking your time out ofyourday to help me. You don't realizehow much this means to meto get away from my high school life and just fly heli. Thanks much!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM
yadac123

Taking off the main shaft is not hard. Simply remove the linkages that are connected to the swashplate and then remove the allen screw under the main gear and the shaft and entire rotor head will slide out. Then remove the shaft from the rotor head would be easier. Or you can remove the rotor head top part from the main shaft first then work your way down so either way would work.

Andy
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Ok. Thanks. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Hey Andy,

Do you know of a way to pop off and put on the ball and socket joints of the linkageswhile keeping your fingers from getting giant craters in them (ouuuch!!)??????
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
yadac123

Yes I use a long nose pliers to gently hold on to the ball joint and snap it on and off. You have to use a tool man. lol

Andy
Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Ya, thanks!! That'll work alot better than the old "brute force" technique. Ok, sitll working on finding time to get the shaft taken out tho. Thanks for the support!!! Be back soon.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 PM
yadac123

Andy
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM
pilotpilatuspc12

Ok, I just looked at it right now. Spun it up and checked the blade tracking (which was fine), but notieced that the entire rotor mast (the large gear, main shaft, and linkages are all tilted to the right of the heli when looking from the back). Now I'm going to attempt to remove the shaft like you said, which is to remove the linkages from the swash plate, and remove the allen screw (Jesus Bolt?)from under themain gear. Then will see if I can straighten it out. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Ok Andy, just got the rotor head out. Can you help me getting the shaft isolated so I can roll it down that piece of glass.

Also, my other concern (if it's not the shaft) would be the main shaft mount (the thing that sticks up from the heli frame). If this is tilted to the right, is that bad, or do the helicopters come like that to compensate for torque when at high throttle and high blade pitch. As a pilot, I know that most helicopters have this tilt of the mast. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db84553.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	857.1 KB
ID:	1392146  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM
yadac123

do u see any cracks on the main frame at the main shaft? The main frame is the part you rarely have problems unless you crash it so hard and damaged badly. if your main shaft is bent you can not straight it out unless you have the machine to do it.

ANdy
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

No, I do not see any cracks on the main frame. Iwill not know if my main shaft is bent until i can separate it fromthe swash plate, linkages,and flybar.I need help doing this. How do I get the shaft by itself now that I havethe entire rotor headslid out of the frame?????

If my main shaft is bent (which I don't know untili get it by itself)I will just order a new one, not try to bend it back. but first i need to know how toget it by itself!!!!

I really appreciate the help sofar.Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Hey Andy,

Is there a way I can reach you a little more regularly, b/c if you answer my post about once a week it might take a loooooooooooooooooong time to get my heli fixed. Email?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
yadac123

sure [email protected]

or go to our company forum. www.rcdiscuss.com

Andy
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
yadac123

ORIGINAL: pilotpilatuspc12

No, I do not see any cracks on the main frame. I will not know if my main shaft is bent until i can separate it from the swash plate, linkages, and flybar. I need help doing this. How do I get the shaft by itself now that I have the entire rotor head slid out of the frame?????

If my main shaft is bent (which I don't know until i get it by itself) I will just order a new one, not try to bend it back. but first i need to know how to get it by itself!!!!

I really appreciate the help sofar. Thanks

To get it off is easy. remove the linkages that connects to the swash plate, pop it off the ball joints. The remove the set screws that under the gear that locks the main shaft to the main gear. It will then slide right out with the entire head. The remove the shaft from the rotor head will be straight forward.

Andy
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

k
Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the shaft out, Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Confetti) . The problem was the set screw at the rotor hub was stripped, and so I used a reverse drill bit to get it out, then the shaft slid out perfectly. So then i rolled it down my granite counter tops, and saw that it was bent ever so slightly. So now if you could, I will send you my contact info, and I need to get a new main shaft. Also, I would like to get a new main gear, as I just want to make sure that it is not that either. Also, please order me some more set screws b/c I want to replace all of them on my heli b/c some of them were closed to being stripped, maybe 5 new set screws (please make sure they are the right size)
Can I order all this directly from you, or do I need to go through Nitroplanes (uuuuugh).

Thanks for the help again, Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
yadac123

Andy