Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

what is a glow starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM
danamotocross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a glow starter

if a car has a pull start, do you need a glow starter? what is a glow starter?PLEASE REPLY!!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
{GBI}Harryball

Default RE: what is a glow starter

Yes you do, here is a link to one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLN90&P=ML
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
ToyDestroyer

what is a glow starter?
Not sure how much you know about engines but here is a quick and dirty answer. Your glow plug ignites the fuel to make the engine run. In engines using a glow plug you need to heat up the plug so that the fuel can ignite on startup. Thats what the glow plug starter does. Once the engine is running the heat from the exploding fuel will keep the glow plug hot and the engine running. Since you don't have a glow starter or know what it does can we also take it that you don't have a car yet? Have you ordered a car? What kind? When you order your car it might be a good idea to see if you can order a starter kit. It should have everything you need like a fuel bottle, glow plug wrench and glow plug starter. My startup kit also came with an extra t-wrench and a set of screw drivers. I would also like to point out that a starter kit can cost about the same as the plug starter in the above link.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
ToyDestroyer

Now I see that you posted about the Xtreme buggy earlier so I guess I know what kind or buggy you plan to order. I am in no way telling you to order from nitrorcx(I have no experience dealing with them) but since your other post mentioned them I would suggest adding this into your order. http://www.nitrorcx.com/starterkit.html
Take a look at some of the other posts here and when you get your buggy be sure to let us know how you like it and if you are having any problems.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
danamotocross

thanks that helps me alot. one more thing, how do i know what fuel to buy for the car i want to order?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Actually your going to need more than just a glow ignitor. You need after run oil, air filter oil, glow plug wrench, 12 batteries and a fuel bottle.

You would be better off buying a kit rather than each piece seperatly.

Racers Edge Starter Kit:
[link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_17_29/products_id/216]http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_17_29/products_id/216[/link]
Old 08-22-2007, 04:53 PM
danamotocross

what is afterrun oil?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

That's the oil you put in the engine at the end of the day when you are done running the car. You run it out of fuel at the end of the day and put about 4 or 5 drops in the carb and give the pull cord a few pulls to throw it around in the engine. If you don't use after run oil when you are done running then the inside of the engine will rust from sitting with no oil in it.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 PM
StephenW

ORIGINAL: danamotocross

if a car has a pull start, do you need a glow starter? what is a glow starter?PLEASE REPLY!!!!!
Go here and look under pull start and it shows a video on how to start it with a glow plug ignitor on a pull start[link=http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/nitro/f/startnitro.htm]CLICK HERE[/link]
Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
danamotocross

okay