Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Strega Question

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Phoenix Models Strega Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Models Strega Question

Guys

I own a WM P-51 46 size. It's a nice model, but the way I have it configured it's no speedster.

The smaller <54" WS vs 57" WS> Pheonix Models Strega recently caught my eye. My question is, is the Strega that much cleaner that I should consider building it from the ground up vs Re-Powering my WM Mustang. I will say that the WM Mustang has a pretty fat wing, and I doubt I will ever go "fast" without a insane amount of power thrown at it.

My Hope was the Pheonix Strega has a thinner wing, and will give me more MPH for the same amount of power.

Thanks!

Tommy D

[link=http://www.airborne-models.com/html/productdetails.asp?ProductID=20]WM 46 Mustang[/link]

[link=http://Strega]http://www.phoenixmodel.com.vn/product/detail/106-ph027-strega[/link]
Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Phoenix Models Strega Question

TommyD,

the Strega looks nice and clean...i wish the canopy was a transparent one,though!

The only thing is that the lines of the airframe are so so clean,
that people may have problems during landings ,
due to low loss of speed from air friction...
I wish it could have flaps or an airbrake! [8D]
Old 11-16-2010, 01:27 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The Strega is a good starting point but to get any real speed out of it you will have to toss the wing. I have found this to be true for most warbird ARFs. Here in Northern California we have a sport warbird racing series. Some guys are using both the Strega and WM Mustang but with foam core wings with speed airfoils and powering them with anything from an OS 91 DF engine to a YS 140. Still not what I would call spectacular. My solution was to scratch build a warbird that I designed for racing from the ground up. It's an Italian Macchi 202 but with moment arms, aspect ratio and airfoils that are race proven. The one pictured is powered with a Rossi 45 and ran about 130 mph. Not exceedingly fast but enough to warrent building a slightly larger version with a Rossi 60 and enclosed pipe. Build is almost done, covering and paint will begin next week.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Kostas1

Do you have a build thread ?

It would be awesome...

What do you mean by "moment arms" ?

How do you incorporate them ?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the wm mustang is faster than the Phonix strega. i have both. dont buy the strega then build a new wing for it. spend that 120 bucks buy some wood, make a new wing and then build the fus how you want.

you could buy a GP 45 size mustang and kit bash it. the wing is pretty good in that kit. just make the fus how you want.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Do you have a build thread ?

It would be awesome...

What do you mean by ''moment arms'' ?

How do you incorporate them ?
The distance from a pivot point (the CG) to where a force acts (stab, fin etc.). A longer tail section means a longer moment arm. The "moment" itself is the force times this distance. The same stab on a longer or shorter moment arm gives a greater or lesser moment, or stabilizing force. In addition to this, imagine a longer tail boom versus a short one - the distance the stab or fin has to move for each degree of pitch or yaw is greater = more damping due to inertia = more smoothness, less twitchiness.

Dunno if that helps or confuses, I tried.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You just made my reply much easier lol. Of course you are correct. In the case of a pylon racing airplane we want a balance between twitchy ( Tail too short ) and something overly stable to the point that it won't turn well. The relitivly narrow/long skinny wing helps retain speed in the turns. A nice clean but stable airfoil rounds out the package.

When a company designs an ARF the objectives are different. They are trying to market an airplane that appeals to the masses hence more sales. If an airplane looks cool, is easy to fly, good landing manners, cheap to produceand appeals to a wide veriety of skill sets then the goals are met. Those goals rearley lead to an exceedingly fast airplane.

IMO it is actually better to grab a clean sheet of paper, start drawing what you really want and then start cutting wood and foam.

I don't really have enough pictures for a build thread but if there is interest I can draw up some quick plans and get them to interested parties for the cost of copy and postage. I can do both 56" .40 size and 63" .60 size.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Both WM and Phoenix Mustangs need mods to handle extra power i.e extra firewall CA glue, stab strengthening and former tripling because of the larger fuel tank, so that's a wash for work needed.
I'd say the Phoenix is a tiny bit faster in the straits but the WM makes up for it in a speed holding pylon turn. Push the Phoenix too hard in the turns it'll high speed tip stall or scrub off speed. The Phoenix seems to land nicer and a bit slower. I had/have both planes.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
_Tommy D

Sounds like the wing is not that much of a improvement on the Strega vs the WM Mustang. Also the WM Mustang has retracts.

Guess Ill just repower what I have.

Tommy D
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had personal experience with the Phoenix Models Strega. With the 55 ax you get a minimum of 100mph. It's a bit smaller than the Wm Mustang in many ways, but no retracts and about the same wing but different airfoil. i will tell you the Phoenix flies like a dream, and like it's on rails. You can order a wing from a guy in Sacramento for the WM that is a bit thinner than stock too. I like them both overall, but like the slow speed and stability of the Phoenix. The Phoenix is built a little stronger IMHO.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM
1320Fastback

Makes me want to finish my Strega that has been sitting for a few months now []

Plan on using a Magnum 45 with a pipe but am still reinforcing the landing gear blocks and just havent finished that yet.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Kostas1

Any pictures from your Strega ?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 AM
C_Roundy

I am only slightly sorry to tell (some) of you guys, the "phoenix models strega" is so far out of whack compared to ANY view of ANY model P-51 that no matter what yiu do to it. It is not a scale warbird. Deal with it and move on.

C.R.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
jay1st

I used to have one, and it's not a fast plane, the wing is very thick, makes it easy on landings.

Max speed with an OS55 AX, 11X7 APC and a turbo jett was 180 km/h
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM
_Tommy D

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

You can order a wing from a guy in Sacramento for the WM that is a bit thinner than stock too.
Could you be a little more specific who is selling this wing?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: C_Roundy

I am only slightly sorry to tell (some) of you guys, the ''phoenix models strega'' is so far out of whack compared to ANY view of ANY model P-51 that no matter what yiu do to it. It is not a scale warbird. Deal with it and move on.

C.R.
Good thing this isn't a scale discussion.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Desertlakesflying

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I am only slightly sorry to tell (some) of you guys, the ''phoenix models strega'' is so far out of whack compared to ANY view of ANY model P-51 that no matter what yiu do to it. It is not a scale warbird. Deal with it and move on.

C.R.
Good thing this isn't a scale discussion.

I agree....there's a word for people like this. I guess many of the planes at the Reno Air races don't count either because many of them don't look real either.

Get in touch with the club in Sacramento, I don't have the guy's info. They post about "warbird" races all the time. as soon as I find something again I'll let you know. I've seen a wing, they are nice.

UPDATE:.....these guys...lol

http://sacramento-rc-flyers.org/airpark.html
Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Kostas1

C.R.
NOONE said it's a scale model
Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cowboy some of those planes at reno may not loof real to you but they are very real. the PH models streaga doesnt look like a mustang at all.

go with the WM mustang and see about getting a new wing.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Desertlakesflying

ORIGINAL: airraptor

cowboy some of those planes at reno may not loof real to you but they are very real. the PH models streaga doesnt look like a mustang at all.

First off does it matter if it look real or not in this conversation? NO! Get over it. I see nothing in the original post number 1 that has anything to do with scale looks.

Next, I didn't say they don't look real in Reno. I know, I live here and am there every year, and I'm building a H9 150 Mustang to look like the real Strega.

I was making a point about the PH Strega looking close enough.

Then, do something about correcting your post. I had to suspend my knowledge of the English language to put it together.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
_Tommy D

UPDATE:.....these guys...lol

http://sacramento-rc-flyers.org/airpark.html
Thanks Much. Ill try contacting a few of their club members tonight!

Tommy D
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have built 6 or seven PM Stregas. I've raced them in RPRO Warbird racing in all three classes. With a YS 1.10 it is a decent Gold plane in the 130-140mph range. The one I am currently flying is bone stock with only slight modifications to the firewall to get the engine back as far as possible without moving the firewall. The good thing about the PM Strega is that you can get it to balance with a big YS up front by simple moving the battery to the back of the servo compartment. Most World Models P51's require weight added to the tail if using a 1.10 up front.

I can't say if it is a faster design than the WM P51. I think the Strega wing is slightly thinner at the center, but it has a clipped wing outline so I think the tips are actually thicker than the WM. There is no noticeable advantage in any of the Gold races I have seen. By far the WM mustang is more popular in the Gold class at our races.

I have seen WM wings fail but I have never seen a PM Strega wing fail in flight. I think the main draw of the Strega in the price. It is $80 cheaper than the WM Mustang and flies very well.

Blessings, Terry
Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Desertlakesflying

Thanks for chiming in Terry. You the man when it comes to PM Strega's. I personally love the PM even with a 55AX. Do you know who makes those mod wings for the WM Mustang up there in the Sac area?

Building a 1/5 version of the real Strega here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...m.htm#10114349

And even it won't look that much like a stock Mustang when done.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: airraptor

First off does it matter if it look real or not in this conversation? NO! Get over it. I see nothing in the original post number 1 that has anything to do with scale looks.

Next, I didn't say they don't look real in Reno. I know, I live here and am there every year, and I'm building a H9 150 Mustang to look like the real Strega.

I was making a point about the PH Strega looking close enough.

Then, do something about correcting your post. I had to suspend my knowledge of the English language to put it together.

Yes,
exactly....it doesn't matter if the Strega looks real or not...
we don't talk scale here!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Desertlakesflying

I think C_Roundy and airraptor just like being condescending to people like so many people like to do on RCU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.