Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How Fast / What engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How Fast / What engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:09 PM
SpencerC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Fast / What engine?

I recieved this plane from a friend of mine. Im not sure what it is but it kind of looks like a thunder tiger champion 45L? Its set up for mechanical retracts, but Im not sure if this would be a good choice because I may be flying it as a second plane. The wing span is 59" and there is almost no dihedral. Im not sure would would go better, a YS 45 or something along the lines of an webra or irvine 50? Also would you have any idea of what speeds to expect out of a plane like this? im guessing 80mph?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67403.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	103773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27742.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	103774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70291.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	103775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg99085.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	103776  
Old 02-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: How Fast / What engine?

Yup- It does look like the Champion-45, which is a sport/pattern plane....

I would not recommend it as a 2nd plane especially with retracts, I would get a SIG 4*40, or Sportster etc. as a 2nd plane and save that one for 3rd (Not saying you won't be successful with that Champion as a 2nd plane, just going on the odds-)

As for engine choice- The 3 you mentioned are great choices: the YS runs MUCH stronger on a tuned-pipe than on the std. muffler, the Irvine-53 is a great engine that you can swing a bigger prop. with (13") and the Webra-50 is the lightest of the three... cannot miss there-

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

If that's a 45L it's been stripped and recovered for sure.They're not covered like that.I've had two and they are great fliers.Mine flew like a rail.
After the Patriot is finished,I may go that route again.
Later
Walt
Old 02-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Q-Ball

If that's a 45L it's been stripped and recovered for sure.They're not covered like that.I've had two and they are great fliers.Mine flew like a rail.
After the Patriot is finished,I may go that route again.
Later
Walt
Old 02-24-2004, 05:13 PM
SpencerC

But would it be possible to have the airframe moving 80+? And what would you guess a YS45 would take it to?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Q-Ball

If not 100,probably close to it.I had a 46 Pro and it was pretty quick.Wouldn't break any speed records but kept me on my toes.As fast as it was,it still flew on rails and a comfortable flier.
I still say it's not a 45L unless it's been recovered but the airframe looks like it.
If it happens to be a 45L,watch out for the landing gear.The blocks inside were weak.There's threads about that.Mine were weak too,but it was an easy fix.The landing gear wire is kinda soft and that's good.Easier to bend it back in shape than to fix a block inside the wing.

Good luck with it and let us know how she goes.
Walt
Old 02-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Q-Ball

Spencer,
You can identify it as a 45L if:
Theres a piece of plastic that's kinda shaped like a fork.It starts in front of the vertical fin.Two of the fork tines are on top of the stab against the fuse and the other two tines are under the stab against the fuse.In your pix it's the blue that's along side the fin.If it's under the stab also,it's a 45.
Later
Walt
Old 02-25-2004, 10:33 AM
SpencerC

Im not sure I understand what you mean with the fork??? Im not sure if it is a champion just because it would have had to be all recovered and I dont think that they are made for retracts but my plane has mech retracts in it. Im thinking of a ys 61 that I can get for the same price as the 45.. overkill? what do you guys think?