Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Mini-Dust

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:40 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini-Dust

Make sure you don't start blowing plugs..

A Galbreath head and Nelson plug would help, too. Nelson plugs are actually cheaper than the Norvel ones. Try different APC props, and there are some fiberglass props available from GRS and KIT:

http://pages.prodigy.net/gcleveland_...Eng.Access.jpg

https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/kit...ory=Propellers

If you want to go crazy, there's the Fora and Cyclon .05 engines.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

thanks...those are some great sites!!!!
Old 08-07-2004, 02:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I get great runs out of AME 061s by using COX or MAS 6-4 props that are cut down to 4.25". BTW your plane turned out looking great[8D]! I just picked up an apc 6-4E prop and will be experimenting with diameter and blade area. Do a search on ELIMINATOR props if you are interested in 1/2A carbon speed props, a guy named STEVE WILK sells them.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:37 AM
xanaphyst

I just cut a MAS 6-4 down to 4.5 last night and also installed a pressure nipple on the back cover. I also stopped in at the hobby store and picked up some %25 Omega.....I have it on the test stand to run today...I'll report my numbers when I get them....Larry Driskill has a nice website with some cool stuff...I picked up a head that uses Nelson plugs so I'll do a comparison there too...On another note the guy that sells FORA engines has a cool website and I just found out he lives 30 min from my house !!! Thanks for the compliment on the Mini-Dust !!!! I'll check out those carbon props first thing because it seems all my little apc ones are drilled off-center !!! Those CS engines are starting to look very interesting too me....plus they have a little extra weight i could use up front....
Old 08-07-2004, 02:51 PM
xanaphyst

Here's the numbers....performance doesn't look good campared to the numbers on the norvel website....

old 6-3 tornado 16.5 K
5-3 thimble drone 19 K (square tips)
5-4 thimble drone 19.5 K (prop was stiffer w/ rounded tips)
4.5-4 cut MAS 21 K
4.5-3.5 cut MAS 22 K
4.2-4 APC electric 26.8 K

My engine is a rc version and i thought it was a 061 but the numbers look more like a 049....the rc carb requires alot of playing around to reach peak so I'm ordering a 061 AME control line tonight and we'll compare those numbers again when it comes in....The tapped rear cover made the engine run all over the place (bad) but it isn't restricted like the Norvel factory ones so that is another thing I'm checking on...

by the way the engine sounds alot happier over the 20K mark and sounded like music at 26.8 K

on another note....I haven't found a single apc prop that is drilled dead center....junk
Old 08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
hooaa
My Feedback: (1)

Do the small APC's have a molded hole in the rear that is larger diameter than the drilled hole? That is the case with their 40-sized pylon props. With those you ream the hole larger than the prop shaft dia., but smaller than the molded hole in the rear. then use an aluminum collar whose O.D. fits snugly in the molded hole, and an I.D. equal to the prop shaft. At least with the 40 pylon props you never have to balance them.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm SURE you will like the AME! I don't know how well it will perform on muffler pressure/suction, but converting your plane to a pressure bladder wouldn't be a big deal. The FORA only comes as an 049, but I think the CYCLON comes as an 061 or 049. I just picked up a couple AME 061s from HOBBY SHACK[or HOBBY PEOPLE?] for about $30 each.