Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Blade47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

It has been done ... bolt from the bottom and no hole in the top of the wing ...works well as I have test flown en mine look on page 12 half way down ... one picture

cheers
Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

me too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20758.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	427125  
Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
nchrome

Capt G what you have done is about the same as I did but you dont need all that wood on the top half of the wing plate. Use your landing gear plate with an over size hole for the bolt to slide through ( the threads of the bolt should slide through the gear plate but not the head of the bolt) All it has to do is keep the wing from pulling out.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 PM
nchrome

Well guys I've been covering this bird for the last couple of days and boy what a hand full. I'm doing mine in Dove Gray. Which is coming out quite well. except for the wings and horizontal stab a defenate start from the tail and work your way to the nose. My spring airs will hold air for about a day before they spring back and that is only about forty pounds of air in the system. I also order some light wheels for this bird to try to keep the weight down. Well I'll keep covering until I get this bird covered. Later
Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: nchrome

My spring airs will hold air for about a day before they spring back and that is only about forty pounds of air in the system.
You definately have an air leak somewhere. I pump mine up and they have never sprung back down (unless I lower them from the transmitter or shift the air valve). I pump mine up to about 80 psi.

As you can see, covering this bad boy is almost the toughest part of building this kit. Just have patience and go slow especially from the back of the canopy forward - lots of compound curves. I discovered that Ultrakote works a lot better in this area than Monokote. Good Luck ! !
Old 04-05-2006, 08:52 PM
nchrome

Your rite about the leak but I think that it is in the valve and I plan on using some vasaline or some sort of lub on the valve shaft. I also read somewhere that a couple of drops of oil in the lines to lube the cylinders will help on air leaks. I plan on doing this and also increase the airpressure and cycle them through a few times. This should get thing to where they should be til the maiden flight.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:05 AM
nchrome

Got a dumb question for you guys. How much weight are you putting in the rear or your planes to balance her out. Now just for thought I have a Super Tiger 91 on mine and at the moment stock muffler.With reciever,battery, servos,airtank I still have to have quite a bit of weight to get her to start to teater on the mains. []Have I done something wrong or what?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

With good sunlight but high winds, I did not take the Flanker out for her maiden. However, I took some more photos. I think she is a great looking plane and now that I have had her out for a photo shoot (lots of photos), I am very excited about gettting her into the air. Hope she fly's as good as she looks.

Name:	Pm35044.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	442270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74779.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	442271  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Vic,
Outstanding job. I looked at your pics for at least fifteen minutes. Salute' Comrade.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:38 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Real nice Vic !!

Wait for that perfect day
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Bob,
Did you go to the Toledo show? I went and got a chance to talk to Dub. Great guy. I just had to play with all that jewelry laying on the table he calls engines. Had to pass on a great deal on that BSE 90. I guess I will have to get one for the Flanker after all.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Steelie,

Yep, I was there all weekend. Was at the jett booth working 90% of the time. Sorry I missed you.

Bob
Old 05-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Hello SU-27 fans,

This is a very informative thread. I've been viewing it since the start and it inspired me to buy an SU-27 myself. I'm a builder at heart who sometimes flies (to test out the build). It will be powered by a Jett 90L (by your suggestions). Also, I'm doing quite a few mods on this kit such as:

1. Full flying stab/ailerators
2. Movable L.E. flaps
3. A Speed brake

* and other scale resembling mods here and there

I understand that these mods are not needed and will/may degrade the performance a little, but the coolness factor far outweighs that. It might be a little repetitive, but I'd like to post my progress on this thread with the mods or should I start a new thread?

Thanks,

Mods
Old 05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

Hello SU-27 fans,

I understand that these mods are not needed and will/may degrade the performance a little, but the coolness factor far outweighs that. It might be a little repetitive, but I'd like to post my progress on this thread with the mods or should I start a new thread?

Thanks,

Mods
Whichever way you want. Since you're modifying the kit a lot, I would rather see a new thread. But posting here should be fine, too.

Don
Old 05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
jetpilotrich

I like the flying tail idea.... that plus a good method to stiffen up the rudders would be the only areas I would try to improve on!

Definately does not need the speedbrakes.... it slows down nicely!

Rich
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

I like the flying tail idea.... that plus a good method to stiffen up the rudders would be the only areas I would try to improve on!

Definately does not need the speedbrakes.... it slows down nicely!

Rich
Thanks for the input. I saw how you added tri-stock to the rudder to beef it up. While the speed brake is not needed, it adds to the coolness factor . I'm buying a new 9ch TX and have to use up the channels somehow. Plus, I've never done one before.

Mods
Old 05-05-2006, 11:32 PM
jetpilotrich

With regards to the rudders...... not only add the tri-stock but actually tighten up the rudder throw somehow! The stock torque rods tend to flutter a bid at high speed!

Rich
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

With regards to the rudders...... not only add the tri-stock but actually tighten up the rudder throw somehow! The stock torque rods tend to flutter a bid at high speed!

Rich
Doh! I just did those. You recommend using the 1/8" music wire?
Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM
jetpilotrich

I used the 4-40 rods and they worked ok as long as you make the epoxy bearing on the lower vertical fin that can be done at the end of the building process.

Now looking back on it.... A thicker rod would help tighten it up... 1/8" may be to thick for the wood.

Rich

Old 05-06-2006, 01:26 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to the new highly modified AKM SU-27 build thread from Mods-R-Me

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...tm.htm#4246975

Don
Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
nchrome

Okay guys I've got mine finally done and the radio gear installed and a little lead in one of the exhaust cones along with the batteries. She now teaters on the mains. I'll probably have to rebalance when I get one of those Max mufflers for the ST this will take quite a bit of weight off the nose of the plane. I also got the gear to hold air a little longer and a 16oz tank in her. Now for a couple runs up and down the runway and then start making the knees knock. This will probably happen this next weekend I hope. By the way did everybody use the vacuformed covers for the back of their planes I decided to make my own and cover them. They look a lot better than the plastic ones plus this will also help add weight to the tail and still look good.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: nchrome

Okay guys I've got mine finally done and the radio gear installed and a little lead in one of the exhaust cones along with the batteries. She now teaters on the mains. I'll probably have to rebalance when I get one of those Max mufflers for the ST this will take quite a bit of weight off the nose of the plane. I also got the gear to hold air a little longer and a 16oz tank in her. Now for a couple runs up and down the runway and then start making the knees knock. This will probably happen this next weekend I hope. By the way did everybody use the vacuformed covers for the back of their planes I decided to make my own and cover them. They look a lot better than the plastic ones plus this will also help add weight to the tail and still look good.
I'll make my own hatch covers out of balsa. Hey, post of pics of your bird.

Mods
Old 06-05-2006, 06:58 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

I made my own covers out of scrap balsa as well. Not too hard to do. There was a message posted on this very early in this thread.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, it's time to bring this thread back to the top of the lists.
Due to work and other commitments, I had to delay the finishing of mine, but now I have the opportunity to get-r-done once and for all!
The biggest delay was actually sitting down and completing the scale patterns to use, to make the scheme. Here are a couple of pics from the port sides of the vertical fins. Tomorrow I will be starting at the tail bottoms and getting the bottom done on this sucker. I am aiming to for the weekend, at the latest, to perform the maiden flight.

Oh, the lettering and the number markings are yet to go on the fins, then they will be complete.

Cheers,
Spar

Name:	Bz78562.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	489276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28297.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	489277  
Old 07-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Mods-R-Me

Looking good! I'm using the same covering scheme on mine. Please take as many pics as possible of the entire process. Also, what color and make blue are you using (monokote, ultracote, etc.)?

Thanks,

Mods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.