Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

I hope you guys don't mind me posting some more pics. In flight this time. Hard to get good focused shots, and our regular camera guy had his camera go on the blink. Enjoy!

Spar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96477.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	506213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15760.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	506214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30565.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	506215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34929.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	506216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55139.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	506217  
Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Sparhawk

Last set.

Spar

Name:	Om33875.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	506218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47712.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	506219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86007.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	506220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56192.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	506221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36676.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	506222  
Old 08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, got the stock muffler installed and will be doing the maiden soon (maybe today). I had to add some tail weight in the boom to get the CG back to the proper location.

I have a question about the CG. With the CG on the front mounting screw of the main gear retract, the model balances as described - rolls back onto the boom when the nose wheel is about 1 inch off the ground. However, with the CG located at this point, the model is VERY light on the nosewheel even with a full tank (14 oz). When taxiing, the model tends to barely keep the nosewheel on the ground. When it hit clumps of grass the nose wheel comes up and she rolls ahead just on the mains for a few inches. This is somewhat scary as I fear that, after flying and removing some weight from the tank, I will not have any steering. On the other hand, I have heard that if you move the CG back, the model is hard to get off the ground.

Please let me know how you Flanker jocks have handled this CG issue.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

My plane sits on the wheels on cement with an empty tank.... if the nose is raised about 1" the tail will fall... this is normal! As Alex has indicated the fuel and thrust will keep the nose on the ground.

Rich

This is the way mine model balances but it sure seems VERY light on the nose.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Did you get it in the air Vic ?

Light on the nose gear shouldnt be a problem. Many of my old pattern ships were like that. Actually makes it easier to stear with power on during take-off roll and on landing roll. The pivot point is the main gear.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Took the Flanker out for the second attempt at the maiden. Not good!!!

After all of the breaking in and running the engine on a test plane, we still had engine problems that lead to a crash. I will spare the gory details but as I write, this may get lengthy.

I replaced the tuned pipe with the stock muffler, ran the engine at home and adjusted the low and high speed needle valves for a rich run. Once I got the field I fueled up and ran the engine again to check for performance. She was a little rich but did not cut off. I taxied around to get a feel for how she felt (not planning to fly as I have a very good test pilot). When he arrived, we checked the engine again and leaned it out a little, held the nose up to check for correct mixture and everything seemed OK. My test pilot taxied out and took off. It took ALL of the runway to get airborne but she climb out gracefully and it was a beautiful sight. After a few circuits around the field the engine started to sag so we mad a landing. She came in pretty hot but he greased her in. On the roll out the nose wheel came up just a bit as it hit clumps of grass but the roll out was straight.

We discovered that the glow plug had come loose. We tightened it, check the top end and taxied for another flight. This take off was better and the engine pulled the plane into the air with authority. We gained quite a bit of altitude for some mid throttle flight test and to give me some time on the sticks. Just as I was about to take the transmitter - silence, the engine quit. As the plane was pretty high up, the pilot made one circle to descend to the runway as he remembered the HOT landing the first flight. But that proved to be fatal. She did not make it back to the runway and landed in the tall grass at the end of the runway. After getting closer to the plane we noticed a small tree, 2 inches in diameter near the point where she landed. Wouldn't you know, we hit that tree right at ground level. The tree was lodged in the right side of the fuse between the center hump and the wing. No damage to either wing, but right side of the fuse is toast back to the wing tube. The crash took out the LEX back to the wing tube. Cockpit, engine and prop sustained no damage. If that little tree was not there, she would have been fine. Although the damage does not look to bad to the casual observer, there will be a lot of work required for repairs.

BTW - she looked great in the air....

Name:	Pn35195.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	508478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23925.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	508479  
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

That sucks Vic I don't get real attached to most planes but when my Flanker went in I was not a happy camper. Hopefully you can fix it and fly again mine was toast.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Sparhawk

Damn Vic. That was not the type of maiden report we like to hear. Too bad about the tree doing so much damage. But if there is any chance to repair it and get it flying again, I would do it. This is too nice of a plane to have her grounded. If you have any of the laser cutouts left for those pieces to help with a pattern, it shouldn't be too difficult. With everything else intact, I would let it sit for a couple of days then go at it. I hope it flies again.

Spar
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 AM
bob27s

Vic,

Friggin trees...... dont ya just hate them some times

(I hate to rake in the fall - and trees are the leading cause of leaves)

Sorry to hear of the incident. But I can see we will soon get to see the thread "how to Fix a Flanker"

A bit of post-flight-armchair-stuff.....

The plug came loose. Means either 1) it was loose 2) the engine got hot and it came loose.
If it was loose, the engine likely ended up getting hot.

Either way, the plug was likely damaged, and my "guess" is the plug caused the second flight flame-out.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Sparhawk

Good call on the plug Bob. I was wondering why it might have flamed out on the second flight and that would explain it.

BTW - I ordered up a new SJ90L on the 11 Aug. My new Cermark F16 is awaiting its powerplant

Spar
Old 08-17-2006, 09:13 AM
bob27s

My F-16 is about 90% done..... I need about 5 uninterupted hours to finish it. With my soon-to-be-18month-old little boy, finding 5 inturrupted minutes is a challenge.

Plus, I sold the engine off of it to a local guy with an F-16 a couple of weeks ago ....... and the replacement just arrived last night.

(btw..... you should see what UPS did to that box.... good thing there was an engine inside, and nothing breakable)
Old 08-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, whatevr engine could it be? The kids 18months already? Seemed like yesterday eh? It goes by fast, next year he'll be bringing home a date!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Vic,

I lost my appetite for breakfast after I read your maiden report. It's amazing how many ways a simple little glow plug can cause mayhem. I similarly lost an airplane last season because I failed to pay attn to unexplained sputtering and four or five deadsticks. The plug should be good if it starts the engine...right?......boy did I learn. Didn't hit a tree but the fence at the edge of the field was steadfast. I now remove the plug after unexplained engine behavior, take a couple wind-ups, check the first base runner, then fire a fastplug right out into tall grass where I can never find it. Seems to work and allows sleeping at night. Do yourself a favor and learn the 'fastplug' pitch.
Get her back Vic.

steelie

I suppose I should pay closer attn to what Bob said. Could have been a good plug, just loose and caused heat that caused flame-out. Well....there you go, yet another another form of failure that requires checking and double checking. I have noticed, and it happened today, that after a lean condition (clogged fuel filter) and subsequent inspection, the NEW glow plug filament coil was so frosty white and out of shape it would not glow. Good thing that deadstick made it to the field by only a few feet.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 PM
jetpilotrich

Sweet pics! Notice how much elevator deflection you have in the landing flare... but still has excellent longitudinal stability. Color looks great in the air! I have been to busy flying my other jet! I need to do more R/C!

Rich
Old 08-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Sparhawk

Pics from today. Our resident photographer finally had his Nikon half working decently. His telephoto lens was not talking to the camera body so focussing was non-existent. It did mangae to work on and off today.

Anyone see the review of the Flanker in October's Fly RC magazine? Obviously, the guy did not refer to this thread on how it should be equiped!! I like the Robart struts he used, but that's about all that I liked from the article.

Spar

Name:	Vt57509.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	513607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80946.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	513608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53556.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	513609  
Old 08-27-2006, 08:41 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

Awesome!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:43 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

Fantastic pics of the flanker in flight spar! (I need to get back to the construction of mine)
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
bob27s

Sweet.......

Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Ayrtonsenna
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys,
After some advice,

I've recently brought my self a Ak-27, after waiting forever for it to arrive, States- NZ...its along way!

1: I'm after some Robart gear, as I tend to fly off grass, whats goin to work best?
2: Jett 90 v Os 91, are the "Jetts" really worth the money?
3: Anything I should watch for in the Kit?

I tend to buy alot of stuff from Tower, due to the fact that alot of hobby shops down here simply dont have the stock on the shelf's "we can get it"...what ever!
if someone could send me a link, and point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Spar, thats an incredible looking aircraft, congratulations!

Antony.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 AM
bob27s

The kit is designed around Spring-Air gear. They work great from grass - generally no problems. Id suggest sticking with these.

Lots of building back in this thread - take a look back a bit. The kit builds stock pretty nicely.

As for the engine - that is a personal choice.

A Jett SJ-90L is going to run you $375 US. Nothing you have to do to it (other than a brief break-in), add on or buy additional. True ABC construction, good bearings, comes stock with the jett-stream tuned muffler and the leak-free remote needle valve. Just runs strong. 14K+ ground rpm on a APC 12x6 hauls the SU-27 quite nicely. [link=http://www.jettengineering.com/video/su27baker.wmv]see here[/link]

The OS91FX engine works fine in the SU-27, F-16, Pat XL and similar planes. Ringed engine. Nothing wrong with this engine at all these days it appears, runs pretty well. Currently is about $210 US

The decision comes when you consider dropping another $80-$100 to add a tuned pipe or tuned muffler to improve the OS engine. Hitting that $300 mark or there abouts. Still a pretty good value at that point, and the OS/jett-stream setup runs very well. APC 12x8 prop. Sparhawk and Vic can tell you more about their setups.

Bob
Old 08-31-2006, 04:07 AM
Ayrtonsenna

Sounds like I better start saving then Bob!
Thanks very much, I'm currently "trawling" through the form, collecting information.

Ants
Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Well, after close inspection, I decided to delay the repairs on the flanker as it will take a total rebuild of the fuse. I can still enjoy this beautiful plane as I have hung it up in my shop. After seeing the great photos of Spar's model, I may get back to the rebuld this winter for a rebirth next season.

Name:	Nl30175.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	516847  
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Blade47

Well I have made a total of five flights this year on the SU and I learn a bit more each time ... I found with the engine combo ( Evo 1.00 and 13x8 ) that take off has to be made with 3/4 throttle just to much torque at rotation and gives a torque roll .. slow speed passes are fun and quite stable.

I would have made more flights but also have been playing with my other plane yeah I know ( same color ) but honest I Have run out of blue and yellow

Name:	Yw69082.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	526170  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
aaviles

Hi people i think buy this SU-27 and change the wood sheeting for 0.010 Fiber glass.That they think?see this web and see sheeting
[link]http://www.fliteskin.com[/link]
[link]http://fliteskin.com///FliteskinImage.jpg[/link]
Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 AM
DavidMC

Hi Sparhawk, what spinner did you use on your SU27? Great job and inflight photos btw!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.