Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

speed for regular guys

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

speed for regular guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:26 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speed for regular guys

I'm not going to ask how you managed to destroy that lovely bird, but do you think I can get away with using less power, let say .25-.46 I have to get use to the speed plane flying life.

P.S. can you rebuild it ?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course you can... it should already fly fairly well on a hot .32 or something like that. The plane is not so heavy (although it could be built lighter IMO)
A sport .46 with a decent exhaust system will very likely get you past the 130 mph mark. And that is more than enough to get your knees shaking if you're not used to any kind of speed.

Rebuilding it...? I believe the leftovers of the wing are still somewhere under the table... but the rest is long gone. I cut the aileron torque rods out of the wing, they were not damaged and came in handy in another plane...
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 PM
RexR

Did the Engine survive ? How do you like the Weston?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

That's not good......any idea what caused the crash?

Neo
Old 06-16-2005, 04:21 PM
chris channon

Guys, build a westfield Hawk, really, lighter than a magnum, damn site faster than a magnum, and it cost no more than $10 to build, fit a .40 - .46 engine and a 8x8 or 9x7 prop, standard radio gear and have a ball.
Chris
Old 06-16-2005, 11:06 PM
RexR

Hey Chris, Do you have pictures of a westfield Hawk? Where Can I get one? Sounds like fun! Would like more info please.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:54 AM
drnickm

if all goes well I will try my Magnun on Sunday Fathers day. Sport Jett 50. I hate hand launch planes. Split second to decide it it flys or not.

Nick
Old 06-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nick, on a sport Jett .50 and a 9" prop, your Magnum will go straight out of sight if you just let go of it vertically. It will not be a problem.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:47 PM
RC-Captain

you and I both , tried to hand launch my SPAD DDUST today and for some reason all it did was nose into the ground. Funny thing is , the only thing that broke was the engine mount. LOL
Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM
drnickm

I flew the magnum with the Jett 50. My goodness its fast. A little bit of trim problem at first but once that was worked out it was like flying a lawn dart. It turned quite a few heads and they had to move them fast as it went by. on my 4th flight i ran out of elevator and knocked the wing holddown block loose on a rough landing. I should have reinforced it when I was building it with some triangle stock. A note for anyone putting one together, A fast repair but could have been avoided with a little extra epoxy.

Super wow factor.

Nick
Old 06-20-2005, 09:30 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Glad you enjoyed the first flights

Which field do you fly at Nick ??

Bob
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 PM
RC-Captain

Nice to hear some had some kind of success this week end Did it jump out of your hand ? if yes at what throttle position. I really like the look of the magnum but am afraid I don't have any where to fly the speed machine.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:36 PM
drnickm

I fly out of Bellport NY at the LIARS field, I am the current Pres. Full throttle with a friend launching " highly suggested to have someone else throw it. First split second is critical. Mine pulled to the right and and needed some up trim. I slowed it down to about 100 and trimmed it out. Flew great, solid and straight. Glide path is not to long but acceptable. Don't be afraid, Its just a fancy piece of wood!
I fly the tree line at our field which is about a 500 by 400 rectangle, No problem keeping it in the field. I did have some overheating problems however. Bob. i'm using 30% heli fuel. I thought I might add a little more castor oil? Maybe just richen it up I guess.
Nick
Old 06-21-2005, 07:17 PM
RC-Captain

Mine pulled to the right and and needed some up trim
Yep I had the same experience as far as the DDUST pulling to the right. I think on mine it may be due to the muffler weight. I'll keep at but with an OS .25 I just received today.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Nick,

If its overheating it is either simply a bit lean or you are getting air bubbles in the fuel (foam in the tank). Make sure the fuel tank is packed well in foam rubber and does not touch anything (or use a bubble-free tank). Toward the end of the tank (with a conventional fuel tank) the engine will start to go lean the moment it gets a few air bubbles from the clunk bouncing around. Its time to throttle back and land at that point.

Richen up a bit. You want to launch 400-600 rpm down from peak rpm - it will unload in the air, and it needs the fuel as the rpm spools up. If you find this is generally not enough, investigate the fuel foam and bubble issue a bit.

We typically do not recommend anything more than 15% nitro for the engines, but you should be ok with the heli fuel (it already has a ton of oil in it).
Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 PM
drnickm

Bob

I figure you are right with needle adjustment. Just trying to squeeze too much out IO guess. No bubbles noted but i have one of those bladder tanks if I need it. Just to be sure of no foam I might use a drop of armorall.

Nick