Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Question about using micro servos on a propjet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Question about using micro servos on a propjet

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about using micro servos on a propjet

All,

Question:

I'm building an 0.90 size AKM SU-27 propjet with leading edge flaps. Space is at a premium right now so I was considering using micro servos to actuate the leading edge flaps. The servos' torque output is 75 oz and have metal gears with dual ball bearings.

My question is will they hold up?

Background:

Link to servos I plan on using: [link=http://www.rcworldofplanes.net/prodView.asp?idProduct=71]CLICK HERE[/link]

The leading edge flaps will only have 15 degrees of travel from the straight to full down position. I've rigged it so that in the up position the control rod exerts no load on the servo itself. This locks it into the up position (figure 1). When down the leading edge flap sits flush on the wing locking it in the down position (figure 2). Photos courtesy of Dan Savage 2004.

Figure 1 (Leading Edge Flap in "Up" position)

Figure 2 (Leading Edge Flap in "down" position)

Thank you for your time,

Mods
Old 05-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Question about using micro servos on a propjet

I have never used that type of application but 75 oz seems quite good-- It seems like a low stress application.

Looks good too!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:48 AM
propjets4me

the torque value sounds fine , and as most have noted it's speed would be around the 100mph mark..so even if used at the high speed level they should do fine...usually I think the micros etc fail due to vibration issues when you use them on a throttle, I can't see that being the case here, and even if you do have a failure I dont think it would be critical in bring the plane in ,
Old 05-28-2006, 11:14 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Mods:

You will be fine with this!! You are at the closest hole on the servo arm where you get the most mechanical advantage, the best loction you have available. When flying, I hope you will never use the leading edge slots, there is no reason to do so. The Germans used this system in WW2 very successfully. I test hopped a ME 109 in Midland Texas after a complete overhall when the owner was afraid to do so because of engine out issues we solved. Was a wonderfull flying bird, hated to land. The slots are spring loaded and poped out with a bang just prior to stall. Almost scared the poop out of me. The thin landed as good as or better than my Cessna Skylane!!! Is a very worth wile system, you should really enjoy this bird. Good luck!! ENJOY Rever Bro 109
Old 05-29-2006, 12:18 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of rating and endorsements does it take to fly a 109?