Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Regular guy's Phenom thread

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Regular guy's Phenom thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Regular guy's Phenom thread

I am glued and screwed gentlemen... One of my ailerons is super stiff (glue must have hit the pivot point on my Robart hinge so I literally tore the elevon away from the TE of the wing so I can re-hinge. The other side features a servo that was not centering well AT ALL. YES I tested them but I did not notice the centering when it was in my hand... So I poached a servo out of my Excite-90 (Hitec 645-MG) and installed, viola!

Nope, apparently in all my excitement I did not realize that the servo in the other wing is a 925MG (HIGH-friggin-speed) so 645 on one side, 925 high speed in the other, glued and screwed- The 925 is about twice a fast as the 645, on ailerons...ah who cares, on elevons BIG PROBLEMS.

After my required "quality time" with my wife and dinner I am off to my haunted shed to butcher it all up some more-

Heaven help me man... It is worth mentioning that this airplane is perfect, and the problems I am having are entirely my fault and not manufacturing defects-

The last straw is I am out of Margarita mix, so I will be doing this sober which is never good---

More later
Old 03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to send it al the way over there. I will be in town to give it a solid evaluation in his own hood.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Razor-RCU

Okay, well I made a servo change and put a MATCHING Hitec-645 on the other side and I am re-hinging one Elevon (tonight). I should be good to go but I will believe it when I see it - LOL

The 645MG has 133oz. @6V so that is not an "everyman's servo choice" but they are only $39 bucks- The CG came out right where they recommend and my RX Batt and RX are all the way back in the RX compartment.

I already want to order another one because I can improve on my mistakes....I suppose I had better fly this one first though!

The hand-launch of these delta's is always interesting on a maiden.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

The hand-launch of these delta's is always interesting on a maiden.

That's sometimes an understatement. I've just learned to be ready for them to pull or roll hard to the left, just in case they do. The hand launch in Oakdale's video looks sooooo easy; that's only got a .40 on it. That .50 should almost pull the Phenom right out of your hand, or anyone launching it! Good luck on that first flight. Looks really good Razor. Let us all know how it goes. [8D]

Dan
Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Details 4 Scale

That's sometimes an understatement. I've just learned to be ready for them to pull or roll hard to the left, just in case they do. The hand launch in Oakdale's video looks sooooo easy; that's only got a .40 on it. That .50 should almost pull the Phenom right out of your hand, or anyone launching it! Good luck on that first flight. Looks really good Razor. Let us all know how it goes. [8D]
my DD hand launches are a breeze, i hold the TX right hand (holding the stick) and the plane in left holding between the fins, i use my chin to push throttle up to WOT and when it stages the pipe with the right wing about 5" lower then the left i let go as it flies out of my hand. torque brings it back to level and it has enough power with the Jett 60LX that it doesn't dip or sag any.

kc
Old 03-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Razor,

If you are running something like a 9x7 or 9x8 on that OS, it should go straight up without problems. Just release it at an angle of about 70 degrees... if it decides to roll over: no problem you're still going nearly straight up... plenty of time to correct.

If that doesn't work... than the Phenom is lead sled... [:-]

I really hope you get it airborne this weekend... I was looking forward to an (unbiased) flight report... the powerplant isn't what I was hoping for, but anyway, it should give an idea about this thing is capable of.

Video would be nice... keep the cam ready...

Good luck!

Edit: by the way... I feel for you man... If there's one thing I hate, it's tearing into a nearly finished airplane because of some silly oversight... I really hate it when that happens, and it happens....
Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
vicman

First off,
When Razor shows up the place stinks like crazy because he is the SH*T! For those that don't get it that is a compliment SoCal style.
He did an awsome job flying it. It flew out of my hand with no problem. In my humble opinion it was a bit quicker than his Whip.
Here are the pics, I will let him tell you how it flew.

Vic

James, you were right, Inglewood is not a happy place[sm=what_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19058.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	644300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19270.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	644301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29258.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	644302  
Old 03-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

Congratulations James (RAZOR)!!!...On the maiden of your Phenom. Be sure and tell everyone what you think...We're all waiting with baited breath; however, the grin in the above photo seems to say it all!!!

Dan
Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on a successful maiden flight Razor!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Razor-RCU

Hells Bells man! That was fun!

Well the Phenom flew great! After my "hinge-debacle" and my finishing (I thought) the aircraft late the night before...

Vic and I set her down filled her up and I was doing a control throw check (come to think of it I never range checked this thing, at least not on the ground...) and one of my elevons was hanging up and binding on the wing-tip so I grabbed a trusty APC prop to shave some material away for a smooth moving surface. (Yes, Vic looked at me funny)

Then Vic realized (I already knew) that the Right Elev. would not come back to center when coming from the down position to neutral, from up to neutral was fine...It was about 1/4 inch. huge to most discerning modelers...Vic looked at me as if to say "Dude, you are not gonna fly with it like that anyway are you?" Well, yeah we did...

Launch was uneventful with Vic holding the bird at 45 deg. right wing slightly down to counteract the roll on release. I had a 10x8 on there, I bought a 10x7 JUST for the first flight and forgot to put it on (planning on running a 9x8 after that). The Phenom had plenty of thrust on launch, pulling out easily even with the big prop. It needed some "up" trim (Mine was slightly nose-heavy, per my preference on maiden) but was quickly trimmed. Inverted flight was predictable (again a bit nose heavy) but the aircraft tracked VERY well in all angles even though I had to correct one side elevon after every turn since it would not center. Vertical was excellent, and the controls were very effective even at 1/4 throttle. (It should be noted that I use as much throw as I can get and run 40-50% Expo. on my triple rate system.) The roll-rate was PHENOMinal, again due to my insane throws. I never did a "slow pass" as I typically do to see the slow speed characteristics but I figured I'd find out in a few minutes anyway.

The airplane glided pretty well I always kill the engine on final to make it more interesting rather than leveling her out and killing her on the straight away... Those big elevons had perfect control of the aircraft until touchdown. I would imagine most people would fly with low or medium rates then flick on high-rates for more throw during landing, this would be a good idea.

I actually got pretty lucky as I cut the throttle to glide her in I made my sweeping turn a bit big and had to flare to clear that barbed-wire fence, landing 10-20 feet away from our feet. I was thrilled at the whole spectacle. Vic captured some short video's on his camera that hopefully Tom will be able to edit and post. (Tom you were missed sir!)

During my post flight check-up I noticed that several of the cowling screws had vibrated out (YES I did use Loctite) and I did not have any extra's so this was to be the only flight but it was great fun. Vic is pretty sure that the Phenom is faster than my Whiplash with the K&B-48/ UT Muff. I am not good at guessing on that but I do not care anyway. I wanted an "Everyman's Phenom" and I believe I accomplished that (Sorry Rudeboy no OPS in here!)

All in all I really enjoyed building and maidening the Phenom. It is a brilliant well thought out design and had great performance even with my simple Ringed OS-50SX and Tower muffler.

Thanks for your help Vic!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read about the fence in the Jet forum....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55...key_roo/tm.htm

direct link to one of thee pictures:

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...23/Qv54734.jpg

So Charles what is with the Elevons? Servos or hinges?

BTW regular guys don't have motorhomes and trailers for their planes go flying.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Rahlberg13-delete

Congrats on the maiden Razor! Did you get any other picts or video of it?

Russ
Oakdale Aircraft
Old 03-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Razor-RCU

Thanks Russ! Vic took some short videos on his digital camera I think he said he might try to send them to Tom to edit...

Great flying airplane there...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM
vicman

Russ, if you pm me with your email addy I will send you some vid. I will warn you, it will be a rather large file.
When Razor was lining up his landing that pic was vividly in my mind. He cleared it by about 10"and touched down nice and smooth. As the plane was gliding across the ground he stuck his hand out like Obi-Wan controlling the force to make it stop in front of him. It was a funny move.[8D]

The motor home was FBD's, James is a regular guy[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Im pleased to hear/see that the Phenom flew well !!

Seems like yall had a good time out there again
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Kmot

Here is a video of Razor's Phenom, shot by vicman:

http://media.putfile.com/Phenom-Delta-Airplane

When the page opens, scroll down to "View Size" and click on "640".
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Kmot

double post......
Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice paint scheme ! Good to se unusual ones
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, that looks good. Even the OS 50 makes it move pretty good.

I need one.

Great editing work too. Very nice vid.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Good job Razor can't wait to fly mine.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Rahlberg13-delete

Awesome flight Razor!

Russ
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Razor-RCU

Hey thanks guys! A BIG thank you to Vic for taking some shots and vids and as always, Tom is THE MAN! I am always amazed when Tom does his thing with pics and videos. There was not much material there and he made a nice video. Thanks Tom!!!

Vic and I were not sure if we could get anything decent since it was the maiden, it is super hard to track a small delta like that through a camera view-finder, when Vic saw the paint job he said "what color is the bottom?" I said, "the same". You should have seen the look on his face. Especially since he was calling for me while I was flying my Whip which is red on top and blue on the bottom...I would do a bunch of rolls and say, "do you see blue or red? I don't have my glasses". He was right every time and I sure appreciate it-

I made several runs "almost" directly at us (I know DANGER) which is where the stills came from but Vic had already used up the video space on what you saw there which happened earlier in the flight.

I hope you are pleased with our small video Russ! I love the design and the performance and I hope my "Every-Man's" Phenom will hold you folks over until Crazy or Chuck get their 60LX Monster-Steroid-Phenoms airborn. I WILL do a "Monster version" at some point also like these guys.

Maybe I will do a Rossi-65DF version in memory of Chuck Auger. I also keep my eyes peeled on Ebay for the OPS FIRE as well

It is a pretty quick airplane considering the set-up. I want to run a smaller prop (9x8 apc) next time for a little more top-end speed.

COMING SOON: An "Angel" Rifle with my West-50V1
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Kmot

You're welcome broh! Thanks to Vic for sending me the vid's. Hopefully we can get more footage before you auger it in.

Who was Chuck Auger?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Who was Chuck Auger?
AKA Jeff lives in Texas. He has been known to put a large df engines on a Dust airframe etc. I understood he had a falling out with some people here on RCU.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Chuck" visits RCG engines forums from time to time...(hope he don't mind me sayin' that!?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.