Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

OUTLAW from EXTREME FLIGHT

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OUTLAW from EXTREME FLIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OUTLAW from EXTREME FLIGHT

ORIGINAL: Team_Monkey

Gents, I have read through all of this thread and found a listing for a Webra Speed 36 on thEbay so I picked it up. Turns out it's the ringed 35.

The box says speed 36, the auction said 36, and I get the 35. OY! I just emailed the dude about it so we'll see if he has the right engine to swap out.
Should I press for a refund or is this a worthwile engine?
Will the ringed 35 still cook on a MACs tuned pipe?
I was fortunate to also pick up a pretuned pipe set for the OS 32 so that's what I'll be using. All told I'll have about $85 into the engine and pipe. The pipe was NIB and the engine looks really fresh.

What's this talk of low nitro for the Webra engines? I run 30% heli in my .46 size speed planes. Heli fuel just because that's the only thing the LHS stocks higher than 20%.

Thanks for any info.
It's no Webra 36, but the 35 will be just fine on an Outlaw.That's what came on my J.S built Outlaw that I got used years ago. It's about equal to an OS 32 in power. The pipe you have is the one you need for it, but I think you will need a new header or mod the mount holes. I ran the same prop for both engines, a 9X6 APC if I remember correctly. The ring 35 will take a while to break-in till it gets full power. The engine has a longer stroke than the OS32 or Webra 36 and the 35 develops more vibration so use a GENUINE OS bubbless clunk and isolate the tank's aft end with real foam rubber and you should be fine. I can't speak for the heli Webra engines, but all of the Webra airplane engines I've had dislike anything over 10% and can't see a power gain between 5 and 10%.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Avery67
My Feedback: (1)

Question: I have just ordered my Outlaw ARF...... Got hooked from watching the guys at RDRC in Raleigh,NC fly these missles.(TOYS FOR TOTS EVENT). I am having a hard time locating an OS 32 SX...any ideas?( Raleigh area / online ? ) My Father is sending me a MVVS .40 (he had a couple of these that he picked up a few years back). I looked at the specs and the weight does not seem to be a problem with this engine. Im not sure what tuned pipe to get or make? I havent seen anybody mention these engines....what do you think?

Cant wait to get her in the air.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OS was discontinued years ago. There was no direct replacement for what the .32 did but the AX .35 is available.

The MVVS is a good motor though a bit heavy. Macs makes a pipe and header for it.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Avery67

Thanks for the reply..... Amazingly I was able to get my hands on a like new os 32 sx and will use it in the outlaw...... next obsticle is to pick an exhaust.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
evan-RCU

Awesome, remember to cut off the remote mixture so it doesn't get broken off on landing.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 AM
George C

My outlaw went down yesterday on the second flight

The left elevon servo started acting out and before I managed to bring it in for landing it went
into a right spin and crashed in a nearby field 30 feet from the man who was plowing it!
I was very lucky no one was hurt.

Upon inspection the airframe was undamaged, apart from a broken prop, but the left servo didn't follow the input from the transmitter. It would only center after a swift up and down motion or go down. There were no broken gears.

My setup is as follows: Futaba 8FGH with futaba R617FS, Hobbico LiFe 1100 6.6V (non regulated) 2 (brand new) Hitec 5485 servos for elevon and a Hitec 485 for rudder.
I've had over 30 flawless flights with the model with standard servos (Hitec 485) all around before I decided to change the two with their digital equivalent.

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong so any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 AM
evan-RCU

You're battery is probably over 7 volts fully charged. May have burnt up the servo or degraded it to the point of not working correctly.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM
George C

That's what I thought too. So much for them advertising it in their video that it can be installed without a regulator.....
I'm just glad I didn't kill the poor man.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:40 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey George!

Sorry again for your loss mate.

If you didnt use regulator you runed too many volts in my opinion..

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...gler/start.php

At least i took a cool photo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13660.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1503505  
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
George C

Can you imagine an outlaw with a powerbox?!!!!
(PS. Delgatogrande took this picture seconds before I crashed. A friend was hovering his EG 50cc MXSR when I asked him to pull up a bit and passed underneath at full speed)
At least this is going to be one to remember....
Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM
jasona

OK, so I've just spent all weekend building one of these: Whoa! Rudder servo underneath the wing? That's pants! What a crap idea! It'll just collect a load of grass and mud and crap on landing, or just break!

As per the advice on this thread, I've turned the needle valve the other way around so the needle is on top, so I don't really need the alloy skid joined to the engine mount. Therefore,

QUESTION: What do you think of the idea of mounting the alloy skid right in front of the rudder servo to protect it from landings?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM
jasona

I'm putting an OS 40 in mine. What prop size would you recommend? I was going to go with a 10x6.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
evan-RCU

The original put the rudder servo in the plane with a pushrod exiting the bottom and it works very well and you don't need skids at all. The .40 will probably be too heavy, which .40 is it, OS makes more than one?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM
jasona

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

The original put the rudder servo in the plane with a pushrod exiting the bottom and it works very well and you don't need skids at all. The .40 will probably be too heavy, which .40 is it, OS makes more than one?
Thanks for the reply! It's just your bog-standard OS 40 two-stroke, I'm fairly sure it's an OS40FP - the type you'd put in a Precedent Fun-Fly or a 40 trainer, that kind of thing.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

hi just read the post about the 6.6 volt life battery usage, i and many others in my club are using a123 1100 mah batteries with zero failure, its was probably just a bad servo, and if you were to attend any imac meet you would see that many use this same battery source without failure, and these are megabuck airplanes as well, i fly futaba and airtronics radios and use some hitec servos as well... servos fail and that sucks as all failures do..
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM
richie5150

HEY J, THE 40 FP IS 3/4 OZ LIGHTER THAN A 32SX.. BOTH WITHOUT MUFFLER. THE WEIGHT IS GOOD. YOUR 10X6 SHOULD WORK. A 10X7 OR 9X7 MAY BE BETTER AFTER YOUR TAKE OFFS ARE SMOOTH. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY FIND COMFORT IN HAND LAUNCHING, WITH THE CG A BIT BEHIND THE 12" MARK THAT THEY RECOMMEND. YOU ARE GOING TO LOOSE BOTH HORSEPOWER AND RPM'S WITH THE 40 FP, BUT IF THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH.... WORK WITH IT. CONSTRUCT A MOUSSE CAN MUFFLER TO HELP WITH THE RPM'S AT TAKE OFF. IT WILL WEIGH LESS THAN THE STOCK MUFFLER, DISTRIBUTE THE MUFFLER WEIGHT OVER THE C.G., AND SEND MOST OF YOUR EXHAUST OIL INTO THE WIND. I HAVE THE 32SX AND GAINED 1200 RPM, ON THE GROUND, WITH USING A MACS HEADER PIPE(2340), A .99 CENT MOUSSE CAN, AND A PIECE OF 1/4" INNER DIAMETER ALUMINUM TUBING FOR THE STINGER/EXHAUST TUBE. I ONLY CUT THE HEADER TO ALLOW FOR INSTALLATION OF THE SILICONE TUBING USED FOR VIBRATION PURPOSES. I DID NOT CUT THE HEADER PIPE DOWN, AT ALL, FOR TUNING. KEEP YOUR BATTERY PACK LIGHT... I USED A HYDRIMAX 1600 mAh 4.8V. NICE AND SMALL WITH PLENTY OF POWER FOR A BUNCH OF FLIGHTS. MAKE SURE YOU LATERALLY BALANCE THIS WING. YOUR TAKEOFFS WILL BE SHAKY IF YOU DON'T. AS FOR YOUR LANDING SKID, I WOULD INSTALL IT. IT SHOULD SAVE YOU A FEW PROPS OVER TIME. IT GIVES THAT LITTLE BIT OF PROTECTION THAT GOES A LONG WAY. DON'T BE SURPRISED WHEN IT BENDS. JUST BEND IT BACK. I ADDED A LARGE SERVO WHEEL TO THE REAR OF THE BOTTOM VERTICAL FIN. THE RUDDER HUNG A BIT LOW AND I DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING TO RIP IT OFF ON LANDING. IT IS ALSO A GREAT WAY TO ADD SOME POSSIBLY NEEDED TAIL WEIGHT. IT'S A FAST LITTLE WING. DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH SPEED YOU WILL LOOSE... 40FP= MAX RPM16,000/PRACTICAL RPM15,000 1 HP ==== 32SX= MAX RPM22,000/PRACTICAL RPM18,000 1.2 HP . MY LITTLE 32SX GITS IT !!! I'M SURE SHE'S CLIMBING WELL PAST 18,000 RPM'S DURING THOSE SCREAMING LOW PASSES. MY NERVES GET SHOT AFTER SEVERAL FLIGHTS. AS FOR YOUR CONCERN ABOUT THE RUDDER SERVO PLACEMENT, I HAD A LITTLE BIT OF GRASS ACCUMULATE, ONE TIME, DUE TO A BAD TAKEOFF. IT WAS MY FIRST TAKE OFF, BY MYSELF, AND I WAS NOT USED TO ALL THE EXPO I HAD PROGRAMMED INTO IT AND THE OUTLAW HIT THE GRASS. AT THE TIME, I WAS USING THE STOCK MUFFLER AND HAD A BIGGER BATTERY PACK PUSHING THE CG UP A BIT. IT SUFFERED A BROKEN PROP, BENT ENGINE SKID, GRASS ON RUDDER SERVO. EASY FIXES!! OTHER THAN THAT, LANDING THIS THING IS SO SMOOTH .... EVEN IN HIGHER WINDS. SHE FLOATS SO NICELY WITH JUST A BIT OF ELEVATOR. I'M SURE YOU'LL HAVE FUN. SHE'S ONE OF THE FASTEST AT OUR FIELD !!! ENJOY !!!! O-U-T-L-A-W !!!!!

Name:	Ki18376.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1528518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32323.gif
Views:	38
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	1528519  
Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 AM
jasona

Hi Richie,

Incredibly nice of you to invest so much time churning out all that information for me. It was very much appreciated, thank you very much.

Best regards,

Jason.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM
richie5150

YOUR WELCOME J . I'M GLAD TO SHARE. ONE OTHER THING, IF YOU EVER NEED A ENGINE MOUNT REPLACEMENT, I KNOW THEY'RE MADE BY DAVE BROWN PRODUCTS. THE DAV3035 IS THE MOUNT THAT COMES WITH THE ARF KIT. I DON'T KNOW IF YOUR 40FP ENGINE WILL FIT. HAVE FUN !!!

Name:	Db86290.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1528698  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
jasona

Brilliant, thanks again Richie.

My OS40 slotted straight into the supplied engine mount as if it was designed for it!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 AM
jasona

That is SO cool, I'm SO impressed! 18 at once! Wow!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 AM
jasona

ORIGINAL: Menthol

Hi, I am in the progress of building the ARF... and in the instructions it says to tape the hinges with some tape.... is this really needed? Trying to find the ''blenderm'' tape could be a issue for me.

I too wondered about Blenderm tape. I just Googled it and ordered it online, but it's hard not to apply it to the control surfaces without restricting the movement! I eventually achieved this by shoving the tape right down in the crack between control surface and wing, so it at least covered the gap without restricting movement.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:58 AM
jasona

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Well after reading this whole thread I'd like to thank all who offered advice on how to get the most out of the outlaw. Been wanting one for a while and since I was ordering a 88'' Yak the extra $20 for shipping for the outlaw was a no brainer. Hope to have the first of many flights tomorrow.

What prop is that?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 AM
c/f

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I fly my Outlaw electric at 165MPH+and it uses no tape on hingeline for 2 seasons. I even flew it @ SEFF 2010 for the Extreme Flight noon demos. IT is critical that you get the best mechanical advantage out of your linkages, make sure that your using 100 servo throw resolution for flight your comfy with. DO NOT electronically reduce throws, you will be much happier with mechanical. This generally will put the horn clevis near the top of the stock horn and closest hole in on servo.

Some measurables to top as an electric that aint happening with nitro. 21,000 rpms on a 9X8 Graupner G sonic prop, 2100W or 2.8HP.

a bit dated build thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72...tm.htm#7227699

more updated powerplant pix here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=1
Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
jhall2242
My Feedback: (8)

I just tried out the Hitec telemetry system on my Outlaw. Clocked it at 117mph flat across the field. Nitro setup: 10x6APC, Webra 36, OS 7 plug, MACS Tuned Pipe, 15% Wildcat Fuel, 12,600 rpm. I could rip the RPM's up higher with a smaller prop, but I hate to scald my Webra. Heard that Webra went out of business.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jhall2242

I just tried out the Hitec telemetry system on my Outlaw. Clocked it at 117mph flat across the field. Nitro setup: 10x6APC, Webra 36, OS 7 plug, MACS Tuned Pipe, 15% Wildcat Fuel, 12,600 rpm. I could rip the RPM's up higher with a smaller prop, but I hate to scald my Webra. Heard that Webra went out of business.
Well, your running a hot plug, too much nitro, and lugging the engine down with too much prop. Use an OS #8, 10% max nitro and run a 9X7 or 8X8 apc and you'll be much nicer to that engine ....and a lot faster about 140mph.
Don't forget to tune the pipe correctly (trim header).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.