Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

Hey Chris...

Sorry for your troubles.

2009 holds for a great year. We have some good sponsorship on board now and still looking for more. All sponsors will be announced shortly. James is running the "show" this year. I have just been assisting in little things.

With this new 120 Warbird class, just in the past day we have gotten some new interest from people who used to race Unlimited but was blown out due to the Ducted Fan Engines. Many of the people who have World Models Mustangs with .91 to 1.20 engines in them can now race and be competitive.

I talked to Mark the other day and he is going to be running a VQ Mig 3 with a Y.S. 1.10 in it. He is still going to run his Stegas ( Tsunami ) with the DF engines against me in Unlimited. I guess Jim Enfantino ( Luvara Friend ) is going to be running a P-39 with a OPS .91 DF engine. Should move. I am putting together (2) more PT-26's with the DF engines as well. I know Mark Stevenson has a Dago Red with a BVM .96 engine also. I dont know if John Lockwood is going to race his strega with the DF engine.

The .46 Modified class seems to be booming. Many people are going to be using the Strega. I heard there is a couple people using the Black Horse Models Spitfire. I have the PT-26 from last year that Bryan is going to fly. I know there are some fast T-34's from Fresno. I have a couple Wing Mfg. Kits I am putting together as well. Seems the motor choice is the Rossi 45, the O.S. 46ax and Tower. All are using Mac tuned pipes or Performance pipes by Jett and Nelson.

The 75 Warbird class should be good this year. Some people fought to get some other engine choices other than O.S. engines. So with a lot of research, we opened it up to Tower and Supertiger as well. Also, VQ Warbirds are legal. So we should get a better picture of planes flying instead of all those yellow mustangs everyone was flying. Between Bryan and I , we have three Corsairs, ME-109 and a Mustang for 75 Warbird.

I think between the Norred Aero Products Team, we are flying the following classes:

46 Modified : James, J.D. , Bryan and Kevin

75 Warbird: James, J.D. , Bryan and Kevin

120 Warbird : Bryan and Kevin

Unlimited : Kevin

We will be very busy!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Well boys, I sold the 91 for what I paid for it and bought a YS 110 FZ. I'm just gonna join the flock on this one. Baaa, Baaa.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12841.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1112026  
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
T34RACING

I think you will be happy with it.

Let me know if you need props. I think I have a handful of 13" in my inventory. If not, I can order some.

Also Chris,

Make sure you use a good fuel tank such as Tetra or something that can hold good pressure without splitting the seams on the tank. I get my Tetra tanks for Central Hobbies.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
ChrisAttebery

Hey Kevin,

Send me an email and let me know which props you have. I'd be interested in your recommendation for a prop too.

I put a 16oz Hayes tank in the plane. It's backed up to the servo tray to keep the fuel over the CG.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kevin,

Sounds like you guys have some interesting classes. Good to hear it is working for you. Keep us posted on how your races go. I'm always looking for new ideas. We may try mixing it up a bit around here once we get a pilot base to work with. Right now we are keeping it simple trying to build it up. I wish you guys were closer. I'd like to build some stuff for your events.

Blessings, Terry
Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
T34RACING

We are going into our 13th year with the T-34 Races. We get anywhere from 30 to 40 pilots on average. We have seen some races in the past with 65 entries. The economy has taken its toll on some. Me included!!!!

The Warbird races with the rules we are using have been changed up some in the past. The Unlimited rules have stayed the same. The Stock World Models Warbird class w/ O.S. 61FX changed this year to allow the VQ Warbirds and the .75 engines to increase speeds just a little bit. The .46 Warbird was new last year and showed a huge growth. I hear many are building planes. The Wing Mfg and Phoenix Strega work great with this class. The 1.20 Warbird is the newest class. The Unlimited's are slowly disappearing and many are afraid of the engines we are now using ( DF engines ) . At first, it was going to be a Spec class with O.S. 120 AX engines only with any warbird but then we looked at how to make it were guys from Sacramento or LA could race as well. We increased the wing area for safety ( more wing loading ) and to allow the 1.10 / 1.20 4-strokes in. We also wrote the rules over the summer to delete the engines that everyone was afraid of. Since we have published the rules, we have had a huge interest in the class so maybe it works. Time will tell. The unlimited class will be there for a handful of us who just want to go that little bit faster and tinker with the engines. I think there is about 3 or 4 who will be flying all three Unlimited races if they stay together.

I have shown some interest on going to your Hisparian races. The first one you have lands on a Sacramento race which I was also planning on attending. Never fails. The problem I have had is finding information. I looked at the RCPRO website for rules, but someone told me that Arizona and your guys are running a altered set of rules...so I have no clue what is going on. Send me some info and I will try to make a race or two. I think there is a couple of us who would be willing to go somewhere new. I have travelled all the way to Washington and Arizona for QM40/Q500 races so Southern Calfornia is a little closer.

If you guys want to come play with us, let me know. It is a great bunch of guys. If we could get interest up and get entries up this year, we could always think about 2-day events. We just dont have the interest now. Plus it takes a toll on your helpers.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: T34RACING
Since we have published the rules, we have had a huge interest in the class so maybe it works.
I can't find the rules for the 120 class, is that what you were refering to?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
roy batty

As seen here, http://home.comcast.net/~james_gale/...RD%20RULES.pdf
120 WARBIRD CLASS

(aka LIMITED WARBIRD)
TYPE OF AIRCRAFT ALLOWED:
Any scale replica of a piston engine, man carrying, propeller driven fighter aircraft that served in WWII, the Korean conflict, Vietnam or any Reno Racer that raced in an official Unlimited race heat at Reno with a minimum of 550 sq in. will be deemed legal. Military Trainers such as AT-6, T-34 and PT-26 are legal. The World Models T-34 Mentor is legal. No twin-engine aircraft, Biplane or Formula I aircraft are allowed. No homebuilt type airplanes such as Lancair or Glasair
The Warbird/ Reno Racer must be a least standoff scale in appearance. They can be built from ARF kits, plans, or may be scratch built from plans or personal design. If they are to be scratch built or modified to resemble a Reno racer or Warbird, you must have all major scoops and vents that extend from the fuselage attached. Gun stacks or Exhaust headers not necessary. This is not a scale contest. Airplanes will not be judged for scale appearance but will not be allowed to race without all necessary scoops or blisters that distinguish the airframes design. You may change the size of the moveable surfaces but the outline of the aircraft must resemble the outline of the full-size.
BASIC RULES:
Aircraft must weigh a minimum of 6.5-lbs. dry weight and no more than 15lbs. Plans or outlines with dimensions of the wing is required as proof of square inches. The wing must have a minimum of 550 sq inches. Wing and fuselage must be proportional in size. Airfoil thickness shall be no less than 11% from the root and tip cords. Wing must have constant taper. (See formula below). If you have a kit that isn’t stock, proof of these dimensions is required. Elliptical wings will be measured four inches from the outer most tip of the wing for the tip chord thickness.
All aircraft must have landing gear, fixed or retractable. Carriages, cradles, or hand launching are not permitted. All aircraft are required to have a tail wheel. No tailskids allowed. No racing wheels allowed. Main wheels must be at least 2†tall and ½†constant width.
You can use any advanced building techniques such as hollow core vacuum-bagged composite wings; goop hinges or skin hinging. Composite fuselages are allowed.
ENGINES ALLOWED:
The following engines are the only engines allowed:
Any front intake, side exhaust 2-stroke engine with a minimum of .90cu.in and a maximum 1.20 cu.in sized engine or manufacturer may be used. Carburetors are required and must allow motor to idle with ease. Engines must idle a minimum of 4000 RPM for a 10 second period. Aircraft not meeting this will not be allowed to race. You may use any exhaust system of your choice be a special muffler or tuned pipe. Exhaust
must be a minimum of 2 inches to be legal. Ducted fan engines or Helicopter engines not allowed. Modifications are legal.
Any four-stroke .90 to 1.20 engines allowed. You may use any exhaust system of your choice be a special muffler or tuned pipe. Straight header pipes allowed. Exhaust header pipes must be at least 1-1/2†in length
Any two bladed or three bladed propellers may be used. No single bladed props allowed. No Metal or variable pitch propellers allowed. Please make sure propellers used do not exceed maximum RPM limits.
No fuel restrictions. Only AMA legal fuel standards may be used. Bladder tanks or conventional tanks are allowed.
RADIO HOOKUP:
Radio hook-up is open with the exception: Servos must have at least 50oz. of torque for operating control surfaces. Any other functions can use any type of servo. Minimum of a 720-mah-battery pack is required. Slip type linkages with setscrew may not be used on Ailerons or Elevator. Z-bend or solder linkages are the best suitable application for major control surfaces. All control linkages must have keepers. Retractable Servos may be of any size. It is recommended for safety purposes to run (2) Elevator servos ( one per surface) and (2) Aileron Servos ( one per surface).
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
still4given

Hi Kevin,

[link=http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/warbird_racing/warbird_racing.htm]Here are the rules we use.[/link] Just Click on Warbird Racing Rules. You might recognize Toni Pacini and his family in the picture.

We all use the same rules at Kingman, Phoenix and Hesperia. We just added Tucson and they will use the same rules as the rest of us except that because they are SWRA they will also have scale bonus points. The beauty of the RCPRO rules is that you are only limited by engine size vs wing area. You can run any type engine as long as it fits the chart. The limiting factor is the breakout times. There are some guys who believe that we should not have a breakout time for Gold class, but I think it has to do with AMA requirements. To be honest, there are very few breakouts in gold.

IT would be great if you could come and race with us sometime.

Blessings, Terry
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you care to compare here are the Sacramento Area Modelers warbird racing rules.
[link=http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org/documents/SAM_Warbird_Racing_Rules.pdf]SAMs Rules[/link]
I think you will find them very similar to the RCPRO rules with a little less slack on interpretation of outline.
We too have had pilots in the gold class ask for a lowering of the breakout time. And we have several pilots and machines that are capable of breakouts in gold on a regular basis. Much to their chagrin.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
T34RACING

I hope to make both venues at least once . I am even going to try to make the Basin race as well. Probably wont make the Arizona races, but I do miss Speedworld. I know Tony real well. I have raced Q-40 and Q500 with them all.

I have never understood why you are limited to wing area and engine size when you have breakout times. You can only go so fast. It honestly should not matter, but then again..rules are rules. We dont do timing at our races due to the lack of help so we dont have break out times. First one across wins. AMA does though keep an eye on the rules though. We had to get them approved when making them.

Has either place ever considered just making a wing area vs cubic inch. Instead of putting a cap on 2-stroke vs 4-stroke. There is no 60 size engine in the world that will outrun the Y.S. 1.20. Just a question. 95% of the guys down here run 2-strokes so it is hard to build a plane for your rules. This year though with the new 1.20 class, we should see a handful of 4-strokes. If everything works out well, I should have my Stilleto done with my Y.S. 1.20. It is the same engnie as Richards.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:41 AM
freakingfast

Thanks for posting the three different organization rules guys! I like the rules for the CSW 120, I see some opportunities
Well, I already have my hands full with SAMs racing, but what the heck this 120 class looks like fun too!
Where is California sport warbird racing held? At SCCMAS? If so, that’s where my first powered flight was 18 years ago.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 AM
T34RACING

The first race for the California Sport Warbird will be April 18th at Fresno. The Next one is in August in Morgan hill ( SCCMAS ) and then the last in November in Madera.

Anyone interested in getting up to date postings or current emails, send James Gale an email at [email protected].
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 PM
freakingfast

Snagged a Strega!

For the time being I think I'll stuff on the OS 91 FX with the nitro pipe that it responds so well with. On a test stand I'll try an APC 11X12 on it tomorrow.
I expect I will be turning +13,500 because it's an over square prop and it will most likely it will be stalled (slipping) when run statically, however it may never unload or even drop RPM a bit in flight. I got a bunch of other props to test, even an 11X14 for giggles. In air testing will be the last word thou.

I like this engine because it uses surprisingly little fuel for what it does and it likes low or no nitro fuel with very little power loss. I will be fitting a 16oz tank in it, dual elevator servos, glass the wing center & saddle area, carbon the stab sides and wick-in CA in the firewall & wing hanger areas.
This plane I may or may not race but I need a cheap to run, go fast conventional practice plane. If it turns out I don't race this one, the belly will get trimmed and racing wheels will be the mods, time will tell.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 AM
gofastz

Freakingfast,

The CG shouldn't be a problem with all the changes....I added 3 oz to the tail on my but with the mods you will do I bet it will be on the money.... I think I remember I was getting around 14,000rpm with the 11X9 APC....I reported speeds as hi as 140 which was wrong.....What can I say it was late and working nites tired, too.... I was in a hurry with my thoughts and the correct speeds are more like 120 to 130MPH.....Sorry for my stupidity.....Gofastz
Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 AM
freakingfast

I was getting 14,250 with the APC 11X9 however the pipe was set for 13,650 peak so I think it could have gone a tad more but the engine doesn't make its best power up there.
Better off pulling more prop. Testing, testing and more testing.

So keep the CG as stock huh?

For me it's a crime of last resort to add weight except to test than I go back and move things. I have been known to split up or reshape the battery pack and build hatches for it in the tail to get the CG right. I know....I know...don't say it
Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 AM
still4given

I have had to put the battery behind the wing with the YS 1.10 installed, but that is all. Your 91 should be lighter so you shouldn't have any problems at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how fast it actually flies with that piped 91 FX. I have run a Piped YS 60 in one and it moved along well, but that was when I first got into racing and I never got a clock on it to see how fast it was. The kid who won Silver class last year in RCPRO flew a Strega with a TT61 Pro w/Ultra Thrust.

Blessings, Terry
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
freakingfast

Well the OS 91 FX turned it a bit less than I expected, but still not too bad. The 11X 12 at 12,750 and the 11X14 at 11,700 on 15% and a few hundred less rpm on FAI fuel. I could tell the engine was working hard on the 11X14 by the richer needle setting and the extra smoke, it didn't seem like it was static stalled like I have seen the 10X10 props do on other engines.
The pipe is a bit short for these prop to peak on the ground but it may right where I want it in the air. Testing-testing! An 11X11 or 11X12 may be the best prop to run on this if it will hold or unload rpm as the plane moves faster and the prop hooks up. Testing testing.

Other props I tried to anwer some questions: APC Sport 13X8 @ 12500 and APC Pattern 13X9 @ 11700.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 AM
still4given

I'm a little surprised. Those numbers are less than a YS 1.10 will turn. I thought for sure that a 91 two stroke would out turn the 1.10 four stroke. Of course at less than half the money, it's still a good choice.

Thanks for the numbers. Keep them coming.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
T34RACING

FREAKIN FAST & sTILL4 GIVEN,

What is your names? Send me an email so I can ad you to my email list.

[email protected]
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM
freakingfast

Did you guys take out any right thrust when mounting your engines on this Strega?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 PM
T34RACING

I keep everything at zero as much as possible.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 PM
freakingfast

Ok, just like the WM P-51.
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM
ChrisAttebery

I finally received the motor mount for mine last night. I machined the mount so the motor will bolt up and fit with the prop drive washer at 105mm. I had to cut away quite a bit of the firewall to allow the carb and air chamber to be recessed behind the mount. There's only about 3/4" of the firewall left around the perimeter at this point. I chiseled the tri-stock off the back of the firewall. I'm going to add another 1/4" ply to the back. Then I'll add a big fillet of epoxy and milled fiberglass between the firewall and the fuse sides.

Looking at the incidence of the stab the tail seems to be quite high compared to the firewall but I think I'll leave the down thrust alone for now. I am going machine the mount to take out the right thrust though.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
ChrisAttebery

I finally got my Strega done this weekend. I've got about 6 flights on it now. It is alot more stable than the WM T-34s we race in this area. As a matter of fact it's so stable it didn't seem that fast. Well, we got it on radar today and running 20% fuel and a 13x11 it's averaging 125mph. I've ordered a couple more props to try out next week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87097.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1160597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51249.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	1160598  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.