Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

What, not orange! LOL

That’s OK, mine is florescent purple and florescent yellow with black trim. Stiletta syle.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Great Chris!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

I finally had the chance to race my Strega this weekend. The other two pilots I thought would race in the 120 class did not bring their planes so I wound up having to race in our Unlimited class. There were actually 6 planes which is probably a record for the class. Besides my Strega there were two OS 91 DF powered Stregas, a scratch built Miss Ashley II with an open exhaust Webra 120, a WM T-34 with a DF motor of some sort, and a WM P-51 with a muffled Webra 120. The last two planes were basically backmarkers. The DF planes were really fast. The faster of the two ran a 1:09.XX for 8 laps. The Ashley was pretty fast but had trouble going rich in the corners.

In the first race I nailed the start and had the Ashley about 30 feet back for 7.5 laps. I relaxed a bit too much on the last corner and he dove inside me. We drag raced to the finish and he was ruled to be about 1/2 a plane length in front of me. It was a really fun heat and I wound up running 1:15 for 8 laps. That would have been around a 1:34 for 10 laps.

In the second and third heat I raced the top dog with his DF plane and he pulled about 1/2 lap on me in both heats. It just isn't a fair fight. The last race and the final were called because there were only two planes left, me and the top dog and it wouldn't have been a real race. I came home with 2nd for the day. The best part of the day was the response I received from the other racers. I got a lot of complements for the plane and my flying. They loved the sound of that big four stroke with the straight header.

I think I proved to these guys that the 4 strokes can be really competitive. There seemed to be alot of enthusiasm for the 120 class.

Thanks to Jimmy Skids for his help over the last few months. He really helped me with prop and fuel selection.

Chris
Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

In the second and third heat I raced the top dog with his DF plane and he pulled about 1/2 lap on me in both heats. It just isn't a fair fight. The last race and the final were called because there were only two planes left, me and the top dog I came home with 2nd for the day. The best part of the day was the response I received from the other racers.

After the race I talked to the series director and this will probably be the last race with this class. Nobody wants to build them anymore. Next year the 120 class will be the top class and there will be no DF or Heli motors allowed. Another development is that there probably won't be as many T-34 races. If so, I'll be racing the entire warbird series, whatever that may be. I think I proved to these guys that the 4 strokes can be really competitive.

Chris
Fist, Congrats on the second place against formidable odds[sm=thumbup.gif]

I had to sideline my Stega this spring and hope to pick it up again this fall. It's striped to the wood, bottom shaved flat and a Stiletto canopy is ready to go on.

Was the Webra 120 the "red heads" type and how did they do against you?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Hey FF,

Thanks man. I had a great time. The Strega flies like it on rails. You will like it. Are you going to race it over there?

The Webras were both silver heads. One was Mike Luvara's scratch built Miss Ashley running a JTEC pitts muffler, 50% nitro and a carbon 14x14 prop. It was faster than my 110 but went rich in the turns. I was able to hold him off until I let my guard down. He's been running that motor for a few years. It would be balistic with a pipe. The other Webra powered plane was a WM P-51. He was running a muffler and wasn't that competitive but he had only throw it together last week. I was able to multiple laps on him.

I was looking at the Webra website this weekend. The red head caught my eye, but I think it would be a bit much in the Strega. It's pretty heavy and it's brutal on the airframe. Mike's had trouble his plane together.

I might attend the November warbird race in Madera to see how the YS hold up to an AX120 with a pipe. That'll determine my plans for next year.

Chris