Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

engine mod ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:15 AM
Bull hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine mod ?

I have a TT.39 that a main bearing disentagrated in and have a new one on the way. so i want to expirament with the old one.
i have to replace the piston and liner, con rod and bearings. orderd some ceramic bearings today, thought i might give them a try. and maybe clean up the transfer ports a little down twards the bottom end of the crank case, to enhance flow. also thought about removing the part of the liner from the rear boost port down, More flow. that way the entire rear boost port would be exposed to the piston. help reduce piston temp.

Have built some pretty Impressive jetski and snowmobile engines in the past. but havent realy done much cutting on a glow engine.

Any thaughts, oppinions, or tricks that work would be apritiated.

Raptor .30
Old 07-23-2003, 01:22 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Default engine mod ?

I ported a TT .46 the other day for the heck of it. I figured if it acts crazy I will just order the new parts. After I got done I gained just under a 1000 rpm.

It still ran reliable and was easy to start. As for being able to tell the power difference in the air I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Then again it was in a fun-fly type plane.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:12 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default engine mod ?

The main problem with removing metal inside the engine (except the top of the port in the sleeve) is you will increase the volume of the case and lose way more RPM than you would gain by "cleaning up the ports".

I have ruined beyond repair two engines from port work. Both of these was from removing metal in the port/sleeve. Just stick with timing changes and you will be better off IMHO.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:45 AM
erazz

Default engine mod ?

Don't know how much can be gained by opening the transfer ports...

Ceramic bearings seem like a waste of money IMHO.