RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2186098-akm-su-27-flanker-does-look-good.html)

CRFlyer 11-20-2008 05:08 PM

RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Well, I have started building my flanker. Am excited to get started as I have had this kit for a couple years now already. At first, was planning on using the Jett .90 engine, but am considering others due to cost considerations. I know from this board that at least one has used the Evolution 1.00 which in stock form is less than 1/2 the cost of the Jett. I would be interested in hearing reports from others on what engine(s) they have used with this plane and how they worked.

I am considering a couple of modifications based largely from what I have read on this thread and personal experience. First, I do not like the way the rudders are hooked up, and the torque rod setup obviously does cause problems. So I am thinking of using two rudder servos instead of just one. This eliminates the long cross rod that connects the two rudders. The torque rods will still be there, but hopefully will be ok with the epoxy bearings as mentioned in this thread. The other thought I have is to change the elevator servo positions. Again the Torque rods for the elevators are prone to flutter, so If I can move the elevator servo's out to be mounted on the fuse side and allow a straight shot back to the elevators, then you eliminate the torque rods and just go with straight push rods. That should reduce the chance of flutter.

bob27s 11-21-2008 08:54 AM

The Evo engines are pretty good products. Put a Jett muffler on it can be quite a pleasant surprise :)

Be sure to post photos of the direct-linkage arrangements as you get through the build.

Bob

theo63 11-23-2008 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
crflyer,i have just started mine as well and im on page 7 now ill put up some pictures as well,i too want the jett 90 in mine but these days are tuff to spend money,think i will sell a few things to fund the cash for it
i too have read this whole thread about the torque rods i did put in the 1/8 rod on the elevators in brass tubes and will think about going direct as well but ill wait and see when the time comes as to how much room there is i would like to have direct on the rudders at least seems how the 1/8 rod on the elevator seemed to work
i like the kit so far its been kinda fun

CRFlyer 11-24-2008 09:29 AM

Well, I'm not sure what page I am on, but I skipped the first few pages that delt with the tail group. I want to get a good start on the fuse to determine if the direct setup idea I have will work. Had to set the kit aside for now as I am waiting for some parts to come in from Tower hobbies.

I agree that a direct setup to eliminate the torque rods for the rudders would be great. I just haven't got that figured out so it would still look good. I am leaing on doing those the way mentioned in this forum only using two servo's instead of one.

As for the engine, I still have not decided. The Jett 90 is what I want, but my wallet is telling to go for something else. I'm trying to save my pennies and maybe I can spring for the Jett in a couple months. Will let you all know what I decide when the decision is made.

The kit is a lot of fun. It's going together well, but I haven't gotten very far yet. Will keep you all posted.

Mustang Fever 11-24-2008 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CRflyer:

Do you think 41 oz/in torque will be enough?

I used a pair of these for the aileron servos in a TopFlite 1/7 Mustang:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCRS4&P=0

If you go with 6V vs 4.8V, you could probably get another 10-20 oz/in.

The case thickness is .39", so they would mostly fit within the stab, I think.

CRFlyer 11-24-2008 12:38 PM

That servo would probably work fine. I have been planning on using hs 475 HB all the way around on the control surfaces at 6 volts. However, a different servo for the elevators may be the ticket to getting a better install. I'll have to think about this a bit more and see where I get when the time comes. I'll keep you all informed and post pics when I have something to show.

theo63 11-30-2008 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well all is still going well on the flanker and no problems as of yet,kinda slow though its still hunting season so this is takin up second but should go pretty fast once deer season is over
cr how you coming along on yours?

CRFlyer 11-30-2008 10:13 PM

I have not gotten any further. I had ordered a part from tower that just showed up yesterday. Now that it has arrived, and company has left I should be able to get some things done this week.

flyer35 12-08-2008 07:26 PM

I built this kit last year and have since made some mods. I used a fults nosegear,added a servo in nose gear bay for steering and left the single servo to control rudders only. I also learned that landing a jet is alot different and fast . just before touch down get the nose up and land on the mains. I have an OS 91 with stock muffler and it flys slower than I would like anyone know if adding a Jett muffler would help. I have a 13x8 prop and am going to try a 13x6 to get more RPM's I love the looks of this plane in the air

Sparhawk 12-08-2008 08:24 PM

OS91FX + Jettstream muffler + 12x8 APC prop + 20% Coolpower ........ Priceless. Gets off runway quicker than a 12x6, and has great verticals too.

'nuff said.

Robert Strouse 12-08-2008 08:49 PM

Bill,

Get a Jett pipe for your 91. You won't regret it. The difference in performance is between a Volkswagen and a GTO the difference isn't a little bit its a lot. 12x8 APC seems to be the best combo as the motor will wind up like it needs to.

Another tip is to increase your angle of attack on your approach and use your throttle to control the descent. I can get mine to roll out and stop in about 30' holding the nose high until I start to turn around.

Robert

flyer35 12-09-2008 06:48 AM

Thanks for the info guys unfortunately the snow's on the ground here in upstate NY. I will order the muffler from Jett and stare out the window until spring. Can't wait. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all. Fly it like you stole it!!!!

funflyer10203 12-09-2008 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My progress so far. I had a ST 91 sitting around looking for a home, thought this would be a nice airframe for it. So far, so good. The laser cutting is top notch, however his manual needs a little TLC. All in all, a nice kit. I plan on glassing the frame and painting it using the Ukraiine scheme (light blue, med blue and White camo).

jaaron01 12-11-2008 08:35 AM

Okay so I broke down and ordered the kit, which I had been looking at since back in Aug. Ordered last week, ( my christmas present) and Alex said I should see it this week. My question is about the Spring Air Retracts. I'm planning on going with the 101HD (3/16 wire), but I see they now offer Struts with their retracts. I don't know if they have anything that will fit the 3/16 wire, but has anyone else put on struts. If so what brand / size, and what company.

As for the engine I'm leaning towards the OS 91 with a Jett Muffler, seems to be about the cheapest route. Also upgrade the rods on the elevator and rudder to 1/8 instead of the 4-40, due to the flutter issues. If anyone has gone with the direct linkage on the elevator and rudder I would be interested in seeing some photo's as to what the finished product looked like.

Jim

theo63 12-14-2008 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well i see we have a few of these being built at this time thats great to see

jaaron,we will see about hooking up direst linkage when i get there and if i do i will post pictures,i went ahead in the mean time and put in the 1/8 rod

here is where i am at and things should start to pick up as i will have more time to build

jaaron01 12-14-2008 02:34 PM

I'm still waiting on by kit to be delivered, hopefully by Christmas, as Alex said they would go out this week. I've got a Mag .91 that's laying in the workshop looking for a home, so that with a Jett muffler will hopefully be a good combo. Went a head and order the Spring Air Retracts (3/16 wire) so at least that much is done.

Keep the photo's coming.

Jim

Cyclic Hardover 12-14-2008 09:31 PM

Well, I'm glad to see this thread still helping you all out.:D

ftjets 12-15-2008 03:29 PM

I ordered my AKM SU-27 yesterday. Looks like i'll get plenty of help with this thread when the building starts. I have a ST-75 laying around but it appears that i will be engine shopping according to what i am seeing. I assume that it is larger than i realized. Nothing wrong with that

nchrome 12-20-2008 11:22 AM

funflyeer 10203 I tried the st90 and it was too heavy for the nose gear ofcourse I fly off of grass. But the more speed I got the more the nose wheel folded under ending in a prop strike on the ground. I have a set of spring air retracts in it and I guess the wire for the nose gear is too small. I am now trying to use either an Evo engine or possibly a S&K engine. Won't know which will work until this late spring or early sunner. I am thinking about getting another one and do some of the mods that is talked about her on this site.

jaaron01 12-20-2008 04:23 PM

What size wires were you using?

flyer35 12-20-2008 10:11 PM

I had two problems with landing failures; one was the Robart tires, I didn't realize that inserts were available to stiffen the tires and it was like landing on flat tires also I changed the nose gear to a Fults and it solved everything . I land on the mains and let it settle on the nose gear. No more roll over.

jaaron01 12-20-2008 10:15 PM

Were you using the 3/16 wires, or the 5/32 wires? I just can't see the 3/16 struts bending that easily, even on grass unless that was some serious rough landings.

Jim

jaaron01 12-20-2008 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've read through the thread and heard the 4-40 rods for the rudder and elevator were causing problems like flutter, due tot he flexing of the rod. So I looking around and found these ( Dubro Heavy Duty Strip Aileron Horn Set, Tower's number #LXD948 ) I'm getting two set's of these, to stiffen up the linkage. I've got some 1/8 rod, but these have the threaded ends on them and should serve just perfect.

Spoke with Alex from AK-Models, and plane should be delivered Wednesday the 24th. Hopefully the retracts from Spring Air will be here by then. Looking forward to getting a start on the project over the holidays and the new year.

Jim

nchrome 12-21-2008 11:16 AM

Sorry guys but the prop strikes were happening during take offs not landings. Do they make an addaptor to convert the small wire hole to a much larger wire without having to drill out the landing gear pivot for the nose gear. I have a double wire durbro nose stut but am hesitent to use it though.

jaaron01 12-21-2008 11:26 AM

What size wire is your nose gear? Are you using the Spring Air Retracts?