Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Perigee

If someone can show me a picture of the Nimbus of Tom Brett and can tell the design period of the Perigee, maybe we can conclude the swept back fin and rudder of the Perigee is a first Taurus “look like” situation!
We know Tom and Ed did fly on same airfields sometimes (Detroit Invitationals!)

BTW, the TE of the rudder is a detail we never know of the fuselage of the Taurus in the crate, Ed’s first contest Taurus, because it is not visible on the crate picture.
I will make a photo animation of an possible rudder TE if Tom Brett could have seen the Taurus in the past before he did design the Perigee.
When this story fits? Hmmmmmm!
Maybe in that situation Harry Brooks have had met Ed Kazmirski during the Internats of 1962 in Great Britain, who knows?.

Cees
So you think the Taurus look anything like the Perigee.....that is a real stretch.

You are digging yourself a bigger hole.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM
kingaltair

Cees;

You say I have a desire "to be famous" like some of the people I have had the pleasure of knowing. I make no apology for being in the same club as Tom Brett, and observing him and his planes. I was also fortunate enough to speak with Ed Kazmirski, Vic Husak, Don Lowe and Joe Bridi. Does that make me special in any way? No, it makes me LUCKY, or fortunate to have had the opportunity to talk with these individuals. Knowing and being able to discuss Ed Kazmirski and learn more about him by talking with Dennis Hunt has been a great experience. We should be grateful for these experiences when we get them.

1) The first picture is of Dennis Hunt from the Africa Tour article back in 1962.

2) The next is of Dennis on his website "Zimpro" (notice the website address, address and phone number)

3) The next is of Dennis and SPA founder Mickey Walker a ceremony at Knoxville where Dennis was the CD

4) The next picture, (small due to me not wanting to appear to want to be famous), is the award Dennis gave me after the first Model Aviation article. I made Dennis give that to me to show how "famous" I am.

5) The last picture was taken at the first flight of the Daddy Rabbit Dennis built for me. I let, (asked him) to do the first couple test flights. The picture was taken last fall.

I suppose Cees feels I did this all in Photoshop like he does. The "defense rests". Those who believe me I appreciate. Nothing will change the mind of the one who won't believe anything I say.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93430.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1179303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36704.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1179304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79273.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1179305   Click image for larger version

Name:	My25367.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1179306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70904.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1179307  
Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
pimmnz

No, no Duane, he thinks maybe the Perigee tail was modeled from the Taurus tail. However, given the completion dates of the models, it is more likely the other way around.
On another tack, I had no idea you knew/spoke with Tom, you live in the shadow of greatness. Perigee and Nimbus are my 'most flown, tattiest' models. Given the choice of model I have, it surprises even me.
Evan.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:15 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

No, no Duane, he thinks maybe the Perigee tail was modeled from the Taurus tail. However, given the completion dates of the models, it is more likely the other way around.
On another tack, I had no idea you knew/spoke with Tom, you live in the shadow of greatness. Perigee and Nimbus are my 'most flown, tattiest' models. Given the choice of model I have, it surprises even me.
Evan.
To be honest Evan....(if it's possible for me to be honest), I was a 12-14 year old, and Tom was an icon at our club. I never got up the nerve to speak with him one-on-one, but I certainly observed him and his models. I took a lot in.

Actually the Perigee/Apogee was fashioned after, and looks a lot like a smaller version of the Nimbus which came along sometime before the Taurus. Like many of Cee's theories, it is quite a stretch to think that Ed was influenced by the looks of the Nimbus. It is remotely possible, but not probable. Tom's tail fin had a smooth "swoop", (very "sexy" ) looking airplane. In my opinion, the Taurus fin looks nothing like it.

Evan...maybe you could post the main picture in the Perigee article that shows it heing held next to the Apogee and Nimbus for comparison.

I do remember watching Ed allow Tom to fly his proportional Taurus-2 for a few minutes. They must have been friends and respected one another. Tom never converted to proportional.

Duane

Name:	Ca81324.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1179670  
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
pimmnz

You mean this one?
Evan.

Name:	Nl30924.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1179743  
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duane,

I did read your posts and I think you still do not understand, so read, one of your own posts about your own Taurus.

What Classic are you flying? Post 30 page 2.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3056917
ORIGINAL: kingaltair

The wing is 100% to plansexcept there 1/2 the dihedral). As the picture shows, the engine was side-mounted, and cowled, (not really a structural deviation, but it DOES change the original's looks a lot). The major changes were the use of a Bootlegger stab, (from an unfortunate occurance in 25 mph winds during a contest-I decided to take out the anhedral), and a different shaped vertical fin, with vertical hinge line for better rudder response, and a more modern look. I didn't really like the open, unsheeted stab, (and it was already built, with the same basic shape, control surface size etc).

I think the overal look is a lot sleeker than the original. What I'm telling people is this is more what the Taurus would look like if designed 5 years laterafter proportional radio.
I have since found a Taurus canopy replica, (I believe it is an 8" Sig canopy) that I got from Jeff Petroski, (see his threads on the Taurus under Vintage & Antique).

Some people like the look, and others feel if shouldn't be tampered with. The decision to make the mods was made long ago-and I stayed with it, however I've promised Jeff I will build the kit I bought from him stockI might side-mount the engine though.
It are these posts, that I only accept facts from you when they are proved, whatever you tell me and whatever you show me.
You do not believe my theory, see also post 146 of this thread, we know now, so please stop posting.
Cees
Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Time for Overhauling of the Top Flite Taurus to make the second crate picture in the future,
Sanding the old colors away and recovering the stab, check the construction after 5 years.
Because I did make the Wester Taurus, there is some delay in the maintenace program on my factory.

About the Nimbus of Tom Brett.
I think there were 3 models of the Nimbus, I II and III.
I am interested in the shape of fin and rudder and the data of these models.
maybe we see a change in rudderhinge line in the year 1961 from one model to another.
With that we maybe can see if Tom did see the Contest Taurus of Ed Kazmirski.

Cees

Name:	Ax72779.jpg
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	1180236  
Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

Duane,

I did read your posts and I think you still do not understand, so read, one of your own posts about your own Taurus.

What Classic are you flying? Post 30 page 2.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3056917
ORIGINAL: kingaltair

The wing is 100% to plansexcept there 1/2 the dihedral). As the picture shows, the engine was side-mounted, and cowled, (not really a structural deviation, but it DOES change the original's looks a lot). The major changes were the use of a Bootlegger stab, (from an unfortunate occurance in 25 mph winds during a contest-I decided to take out the anhedral), and a different shaped vertical fin, with vertical hinge line for better rudder response, and a more modern look. I didn't really like the open, unsheeted stab, (and it was already built, with the same basic shape, control surface size etc).

I think the overal look is a lot sleeker than the original. What I'm telling people is this is more what the Taurus would look like if designed 5 years laterafter proportional radio.
I have since found a Taurus canopy replica, (I believe it is an 8" Sig canopy) that I got from Jeff Petroski, (see his threads on the Taurus under Vintage & Antique).

Some people like the look, and others feel if shouldn't be tampered with. The decision to make the mods was made long ago-and I stayed with it, however I've promised Jeff I will build the kit I bought from him stockI might side-mount the engine though.
It are these posts, that I only accept facts from you when they are proved, whatever you tell me and whatever you show me.
You do not believe my theory, see also post 146 of this thread, we know now, so please stop posting.
Cees
Cees-

The post you quote from is nearly four years old and refers to my Top Flite kit that I made modifications to. The wing was built stock, but at the time I wanted a more "modern look", so I changed the fin, used a stab from another plane, and side-mounted the engine. I still have the plane, and it flys well, (see attached). I said that the Taurus as I built it has a more modern look, and if it had been designed at a later date, it might look more like mine. I have since learned a lot more about the Taurus than I knew at the time, ( 2005), largely because of this thread.

I don't see what my earlier post has to do with your accusations contained in your little "metaphor" earlier, other than it has nothing to do with the thread.

Cees....this is the bottom line whether you believe me or not. Everything I said that Dennis told me is exactly the way Dennis reported it to me. I didn't make anything at all up, (translated: lied about it). Dennis actually told me about the tapes and sketches on brown paper. You may not accept it, but that is what he said. If he is somehow wrong, that is another issue...I reported what he said; I have no desire or plot to make up things to ruin your theory. I want to learn the true history of the Taurus, I just don't happen to accept PARTS of your explanation. You made a lot of good points that I HAVE accepted so it's not that I reject everything you say. I try to follow you, evaluate what you say, then accept or reject it based on all the evidence available to all of us. This is NOT personal against you, and I honestly think your Wester Taurus is a beautiful model, that should be light, and should fly great.

What I resent and will continue to respond to, is not that you have a different theory; it is that you are saying I am deliberately making up a story just to try to ruin your thread...that is not true, and I don't appreciate being "painted" as a liar who "wants to be famous". I may be wrong, but I am not a liar. You have no idea how wrong you really are, and you are beginning to look foolish by making these charges. I will wait for an apology from you about your charges. I don't expect it though, as you will never admit you misjudged me.

Just for the record, my position NOW is that I DO NOT believe the VR/CS Taurus is the oldest. I don't ever remember saying that it was, but if I did, I don't believe that now.

If you continue to imply that I am making up statements and putting them on the thread to suit my own purposes, then I will continue to post when needed, and will tell you exactly how I feel about it. I would advise you to apologize saying you thought I was lying, but now you know better, and we can move on), or to at least stop making accusations against me for the whole world to view. Whether I post anymore is totally dependant on you, and what you say about me. I will not stand for someone accusing me like you are without a suitable reply.

I'd like to get back to the way things were at the beginning of the thread. I really have no ill feeling toward you other than those that were caused by your sarcasm and accusatons. I wanted to include you in sharing the Kazmirski props because you have earned them with your earlier posts, but you would not respond.

It's up to you.

Duane

Name:	By76675.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1180246  
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,
As I did write in one of the posts on the first page of this thread:

It is true, Duane wrote, it is a product of my theory, but we can talk a lot about it and on the end of time we still are not sure and have nothing.
That’s the reason I make a model. Because I am a model airplane builder.

I understand that also making a second picture of the crate does not change the situation.

The "Wester Taurus" is (nearly) ready, will not fly and goes in the crate in the Netherlands.

For the people who did assist me thanks.

When there is a moment in the future the plane is going to fly, I will give a message.

Cees

Old 04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
pimmnz

Cees, the plan of Nimbus shows Nimbus 2. There were no more in the series. This was the last version. I am interested in how you propose to make your old Top Flite/MAN Taurus into the MAN cover model. How do you intend to lengthen the fuselage?
Evan.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Cees,The photo with the lines and the two fuses together: The area of the fin of the right model appears to be a bit more than the area of the left model. It appears (one cannot tell anything decisively at this angle) that the model on the right has the fin LE at the base much farther forward than the left model. If I had to guess at a dimension, I would say that it's probably about the same distance forward as the elevator chord. The model on the right appears to have a smaller radius for the change from the top of the fuselage to the LE of the fin. It also appears that the model on the left has a slightly wider chord at the tip than the model on the right.Did I state that clearly enough or do I need to draw a picture? I don't have a scanner at my desk here.Andy

Name:	Tr51021.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1200207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25598.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1200208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16879.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1200209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73302.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1200210  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Good to see you posting again, Cees.

Andy

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Cees,

The photo with the lines and the two fuses together: The area of the fin of the right model appears to be a bit more than the area of the left model. It appears (one cannot tell anything decisively at this angle) that the model on the right has the fin LE at the base much farther forward than the left model. If I had to guess at a dimension, I would say that it's probably about the same distance forward as the elevator chord. The model on the right appears to have a smaller radius for the change from the top of the fuselage to the LE of the fin. It also appears that the model on the left has a slightly wider chord at the tip than the model on the right.

Did I state that clearly enough or do I need to draw a picture? I don't have a scanner at my desk here.

Andy

Name:	Om34567.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1201165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84116.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1201166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57253.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1201167  
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

As Andy did write there were some details not correct with the LE of the fin of the Wester Taurus when comparing with the crate picture:

See post 415 page 17 and picture 1

Andy was right, and I already did give a response to change this later because after that I did have to repaint those parts of the tail.(post 417)

I did change the tail now see the posts.

There are troubles to post messages that’s the reason of this way of communication

Cees

Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It's looking very good, Cees.  It's always difficult to go back and fix things after painting, but I'm glad you did.

Andy

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Taurus Flyer

Andy,

When building a copy the digital photography is a very good tool to use to design the details, that was what we were doing.

Only the sequence of activities is important to reduce work. Thats was the reason to wait. Doing it is my hobby, I like it the most.

When want to change a paint scheme I prevere to wait a period for the "old" paint layer to harden. It is easier to sand then.

BTW this was the last action for the Oldest Taurus on Earth.

I do not want to lose the plane now by flying it because of the "believing " process.

In the industry we call it FAT, factory acceptance test. (AMA?)

Thanks for comment!

Cees

Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

It looks like I can write posts again, so a check and alsotrying to post a picture ofmy Top Flite Taurus of post 457 of this page after overhauling in the original colors,

Other pictures you can see in Vintage and Antique , thread:Top Flite Taurus.

Cees

Name:	Yw68812.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1202603  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,
Today it was possible to make a new picture of the plane and fin to archive.
When I look to this picture I think the rudder maybe was ofmore surface to generate a spin (without kick up the elevator with idle?).
I am working on a second rudder now, so when there is a moment in the future to fly the Wester Taurus maybeI need that bigger rudder.
Cees

BTW the presentation of the red color of the picture is bad!!!!. The covering of the wing and fuse is good.

Name:	Vt58564.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1203263  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gents,

It looks like I can write posts again, so a check and alsotrying to post a picture ofmy Top Flite Taurus of post 457 of this page after overhauling in the original colors,

Other pictures you can see in Vintage and Antique , thread:Top Flite Taurus.

Cees
what happened? why were you not able to post? that's too bad, it has been a rather pleasant month or 2 here recently.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Taurus Flyer

David,

I did have some troubles with the post editor, didn't find one, but......

Maybe that’sa solution for you, a writer stop for a few months, ask the moderator for that.

Then you can finish (paint) your planes and you don’thave to buy an ARF.

Cees

Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

To compare and to archive.

Picture 1 small rudder, picture 2 more surface.
Because I do recalculate a small fin, using the crate picture,it is possible Ed did use such a big rudder to start a vrille/spin.
Maybe the plane will spin without extra elevator.
The second rudder gets a place in the crate

Cees

Name:	Mk26021.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1203768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58794.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1203769  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,
Therewas more between heaven and earth.
For some time a Simla is growing in my mind like cream puff. (Cream Puff?)
But in real numbers, 68 x 1,5 = 102 ; 45 degrees ; 34 divided by 1,5 ; 1,5 x 1,5 = 2,25 etc etc.
And now I did read this of PIMMNZ in post 1595 on page 64 of Ed Kazmirski’s Taurus.
[quote]ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Sorry Cees, we haven't answered why your Taurus isn't on the 'time line'... It's because it has only ever existed in you imagination...but you knew that, too...
Evan.

[/quote
Do they know my senior pattern “imagination” in the Senior Pattern Association?
To archive I did make a visualization, also to show I do not have tunnel vision.
Oh BTW, I did use my Wester Taurus for this transformation , see post before.
And the Simla? Also for one moment in this post of the Oldest Taurus on Earth so they can talk together like “homesick angels”.
Yes there was more between heaven and earth.
Cees

Name:	Db84314.jpg
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1204874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99470.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1204875  
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

As we look at the old pictures, the first transformation for the Oldest Taurus on Earth does show us the Les Fruh Taurus, the first transformation of the Taurus of the crate after Ed did came back from his trip to Africa.

Waiting for pictures I am thinking of starting my next project, designing and making that Les Fruh Taurus again.

Flying the original MAN Taurus of Ed kazmirski and Orion (sport) as a tribute to Ed for more than 500 flight together now I think it is a good idea to make a Les Fruh Taurus also. They both did work to make the Taurus a topper.

Designing?

It is the "longer" Oldest taurus on Earth, with Taurus wings with straigth TE and sheeted airfolded stab.

Because of the straight TE and the longer fuse it would not be a problem to find, with a few calculations, the right position of the CG with a 0.60 engine.

The detailengineering is important for mounting that "big" engine in that "little" place and get the fuel in the plane.

My fuel controllers I will use to solve the problem for me when I use a "long " tank in that narrow fuselage.

A Simla is really to big for me to transport.

Cees

Name:	Pn36707.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1205165  
Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,
Of course I did know Ed Kazmirski did live in Calumet City and that is close to Chicago, .I did copy the stickers of the canopy. But>>>>
Did you know Ed nearly did live in the backyard of Top Flite? Distance between Ed, Calumet City,and Top Flite Chicago was 20,4 miles!
Yes, 20,4 miles and 30 minutes to travel.These days, but I think it was nearly the same then.
Please give me a brake so I can stop in time! Preproduction kit!
Look again to that drawing head of the Taurus kit plans! I did get it from Chuck Winter is one of the posts of Ed Kazmirski's Taurus.
Frank Myers from the dark side of Chicago? (LOL)
Noprobably a modeler of Park Forest, Illinois, and one of the founders of Suburban Aeroclub of Chicago, in January 1963.
(BTW a second check will good for this to know! )

Of course there is more to come but this I already want you to show, any snap shot, plan or drawing gives me information!
Cees.

There are some problems with loading the pictures so wait for that.

Name:	Hf99814.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1207002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23387.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1207003  
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
kingaltair

Gents,
Of course I did know Ed Kazmirski did live in Calumet City and that is close to Chicago, .I did copy the stickers of the canopy. But>>>>
Did you know Ed nearly did live in the backyard of Top Flite? Distance between Ed, Calumet City,and Top Flite Chicago was 20,4 miles!
Yes, 20,4 miles and 30 minutes to travel.
Of course there is more to come but this I already want you to show, any snap shot, plan or drawing gives me information!
Cees.
I'm sure that the short distance between Ed and Top Flite made meetings much easier, but that has little to do with whether or not Ed ever built and flew a "pre-production Taurus" kit made by Top Flite. Maybe yes, maybe no...if he did, he probably modified it.

There is no hard evidence either way about whether or not Ed built and flew a kit of any kind.

I CAN tell you this...in his articles it is obvious Ed paid tremendous attention to the selection of his balsa, as he specified higher weight balsa for innerwing ribs, and lighter balsa for outer ribs. Ed's models, (and I have held the Taurus-2 and weighed it), are built extremely light, with extensive use of "contest balsa". It is highly doubtful that Ed would have built a kit right off the production line; Top Flite would have had to supply special balsa for him which they certainly could have done.

It is interesting to seethe differences between Ed's personal models, (as I believe Cees pointed out), and the production kit. The Myers, (Meyers...whatever), prototype Taurus was closest to the Top Flite kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.