Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

I'm assuming the low-voltage warning is sufficient enough to allow for a safe landing should the need arise? My Futaba will sound the alarm @ 8.5v and lasts for apprx. 5-8min. Plenty of time to get in and land.

Shane
THe TXLow Batt alarm is configured based on the type of battery and voltage you program on the Tx. It does have plenty of reserve for the default NiMh voltage, but when using a 2S Lipo, it's suggested to program a slightly higher alarm voltage so the battery isn't damaged.

Airborne battery "alarm" is based on a 4 or 5 cell, and seems to be programmable only when the HPP 22 programmer interface comes out.
I run 2S 123 batteries, nominal of 6.6v, and the death spiral of a 2SA123 is about 5.45 volts, which isn't low enough to trigger the telemetry alarm in it's default mode.

But it's still nice to look at the TX and see the airborne battery voltage under operational loads.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I agree, no more wondering if I remembered to charge my battery. The other telemetry systems out there are nice but can be a bit spendy, price on this stuff isn't bad at all.

All in all I guess I need to just go for it. Last time I was this nervous I was deciding on wether I should go with a Vega or Gremlin and get rid of my trusty Pinto..[sm=rolleyes.gif] ok maybe that's a little far fetched, even hard for me too believe.. But sure you get the idea.

Shane
Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Ok, another one. How does this radio feel in the hands. I really like the feel of the JR radios more so than the Futaba as I don't have large hands. So for those of you lucky enough to be able to hold one, what are your thoughts compared to each other. From what I can tell from looking at it it looks fairly sleek and everything seems easily accessible.

Shane
Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I'm not as doubtful as yourself about signal reliability, I did have a question about how low a voltage that a Hitec RX can go before it drops out. I haven't specifically asked anyone at Hitec, but the subject gets looked at in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9469330/tm.htm
In other words, I'm not at all concerned about general reliability. I'm mostly concerned with how sensitive the Hitec RX is with regard to low voltage as compared to how other brands handle that little detail. According to one poster in that thread, Futaba appears to have a handle on it but I don't know about Hitec: That last point the poster (and Futaba) recommends is a no brainer. I am not intending nor would anyone intend, to run their RX batteries down to the nubs. I'm just wondering what to expect if you get into an unintentional situation with the Hitec RX.
Matterwell covered under
Optima RX - SPC Cable and use
Optima RX - Multiple Batteries may be installed Dual batteries for redundancy or even one for each servo.
and more under
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

I also have a JR10X. The radio is lighter, BUT it feels REALLY good in the hands!! The Balance is VERY nice!! All the switches are in good positions. On Big thing thay SURPRISED me is that it DID NOT feel like CHEAP Plastic!!!! I have been using mine on my jets and has ZERO problems with it!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

joe manor

Test flew my Hitec Aurora 9 today in a heavy carbon D80 today and this thing is amazing. I did several power down range checks inside my shop, closed myself in the next room, outside out of sight, 300ft away and could never get it to not work. I specked out the D80 and flew it for over an hour today with laps up to 337mph and it's working flawlessly. I really think the touchscreen, and onscreen receiver battery voltage is a huge value. I launched the plane with 6.7 volts and flew for an hour down to 6.2 volts. Hitec has something special here. I will continue to test this system and keep a log for those who are interested.

Joe

I'd say this speaks volumes about the Hitec AFHSS system!

Note: Joe was using the Optima 9 RX with two antenna's (tips only exiting the fuselage) positioned at 90 degrees from each other due to the extreme nature of the model.

Next up... the 160" D160 @400+MPH! FYI: His current record is 393MPH but he has a brand new 160" ship that should easily (relitively speaking) reach 400+. For more info on Joe Manor and his planes visit his website here: http://www.manormodels.com/

Faster than FAAST?!?!?!?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Pit-Viper 1

That is insane how they get going that fast. Saw a video of one awhile back and didn't realize what it was that was flying until now. Very impressive indeed..

Shane
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

joe manor

Test flew my Hitec Aurora 9 today in a heavy carbon D80 today and this thing is amazing. I did several power down range checks inside my shop, closed myself in the next room, outside out of sight, 300ft away and could never get it to not work. I specked out the D80 and flew it for over an hour today with laps up to 337mph and it's working flawlessly. I really think the touchscreen, and onscreen receiver battery voltage is a huge value. I launched the plane with 6.7 volts and flew for an hour down to 6.2 volts. Hitec has something special here. I will continue to test this system and keep a log for those who are interested.

Joe

Faster than FAAST?!?!?!?
Hi Mike,

This one is on the Guinness RC speed record: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9445103/tm.htm

By the way, the jet it's guided by FASST.
http://www.amtjets.com/

Doug.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: DougV

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

joe manor

Joe

Faster than FAAST?!?!?!?
Hi Mike,

This one is on the Guinness RC speed record: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9445103/tm.htm

By the way, the jet it's guided by FASST.
http://www.amtjets.com/

Doug.
DougV- You're right... so we're 8 mph short (337 vs. 345) of the jet with FAAST system. I guess I was a little premature with that statement... Oh well, once Joe's D160 hits the hill though, we'll easily eclipse that!

On another not... We did do some load testing with the Optima 9 and found out that the servo bus can easily handle 15+ amps continuous which is well beyond the average. Most 40% set ups average about 6 amps. The recommended set up here would be to use two HD Y-harnesses in channels with the highest power servos so that the battery is plugged into one side and the servo(s) in the other. This then allows the servo(s) in the Y to pull power directly for the batteries but still provides power for the other servos in the bus. So essentially you are only pulling power though bus with the other 7 ports and splitting the load between two batteries and more importantly connectors. This should result in each battery and connector providing about 3A each which is well within the limits of the connectors. I do believe two batteries are needed here as using one would raise the connector amperage to 6A which is pushing it.

Mike.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
cjOregon

Ordered Aurora 9 w/7 chan. rcvr. from tower for $399, shipping and membership in their super saver club costs the same and if you super save shipping is free so I went for it. Later they sent an add giving $60 off a purchase of $300 or more - quick phone call and my Aurora 9 is now costing me $339! Fell into that one. I heard of an offer that lets you buy another rcvr for $40, if I can get that I'll be set! And was Hitec saying they'd include a coupon good for a second rcvr free?? I wonder if that works if you get your radio after April 1? As with back orders.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Pit-Viper 1

I guess there is a coupon n the box for 1 free and 1 1/2 off. Hope that's true and I get the $60 off as well. I will be putting in my order ASAP..

Shane
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Ordered my from Horizon. It said Early Feb when I ordered. It now says Eearly March! What next?

My delima is that I sold my NIB Futaba 10C in Xmas 09. Still got the Futaba 9C on 72MHz as back up for my two giant aerobatics. My other two giant scale warbirds with no Rx is grounded until the A9 arrives.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

Ordered my from Horizon. It said Early Feb when I ordered. It now says Eearly March! What next?

My delima is that I sold my NIB Futaba 10C in Xmas 09. Still got the Futaba 9C on 72MHz as back up for my two giant aerobatics. My other two giant scale warbirds with no Rx is grounded until the A9 arrives.
Interesting. When I just checked, both my existing back order and the product page said mid Feb.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Gungadin

Geee Mike. Wouldn't it be nice if the RX had more heavy duty type connectors than the standard universal type that would handle more than 3-4 amps ? I think I saw a magazine add for a RX with heavy duty type connectors for two batteries a while back. Maybe someone else besides me thinks it could be a good thing ?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmmm.

I just checked horizons website and it says item coming soon.

HMMMM
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
AJsToyz

Shane,

Yep! Thats it, I ordered mine about three weeks ago so I am waiting.

Andy
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
AJsToyz

I just checked, got the early March. So far Tower is still saying Mid Feb.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM
orcrest

I am wondering how much power the transmitter uses when it is switched OFF.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have fully charged mine via the wall charger overnight, I use a 2000mAh 7.2V NiMh Sanyo eneloop pack from NoBS Batteriesand it shows 9.0V after a full charge.

However, after leaving the radio switched OFF, after24hrs when I turn it back on the power level either reads 0% and the low battery alarm goes off or it rapidly falls from around 60% to 0% and the alarm goes off.

These are new eneloops that have had around a dozen full charges and there doesn't appear to be any visible defects with the pack. I should be able toleave the radio for a year on a full chargeand come back to find a useable level of charge still in it. Which is why I was wondering if it still used power when switched off.

I haven't tried the original 1300 mAh NiMhs it came with, that will be my next step.

I was wondering if anyone else can duplicate this or have experienced the same.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
ed42d-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

I had a similar problem. When I first got the radio, I tried charging via the wallwart for over 12 hours. It wouldn't charge the stock pack over 7.0 v. I called Hitec and they were suppose to send me a new wallwart...but I haven't seen it.

I pulled the battery and charged it using my Triton. I had a charge cord with a Dean's mini plug. This time using .4 amps, it charged to about 8.5v. The problem was after about a day, the transmitter low voltage would start beeping.

I finally slow charged the battery using .1 amp for about 20 hours. That did the trick. Now my battery holds it charge for over a week and it's still 7.6 v.

It sounds like your battery charger is working. Maybe you should try charging it for 24 hours or hang on and someone will have a better solution.

Good luck!.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: orcrest I am wondering how much power the transmitter uses when it is switched OFF. Does anyone else have this problem?
I have fully charged mine via the wall charger overnight, I use a 2000mAh 7.2V NiMh Sanyo eneloop pack from NoBS Batteriesand it shows 9.0V after a full charge.However, after leaving the radio switched OFF, after24hrs when I turn it back on the power level either reads 0% and the low battery alarm goes off or it rapidly falls from around 60% to 0% and the alarm goes off.These are new eneloops that have had around a dozen full charges and there doesn't appear to be any visible defects with the pack. I should be able toleave the radio for a year on a full chargeand come back to find a useable level of charge still in it. Which is why I was wondering if it still used power when switched off.I haven't tried the original 1300 mAh NiMhs it came with, that will be my next step.I was wondering if anyone else can duplicate this or have experienced the same.
Aurora does not use any power when Manually Switched Off.
However, until at least the next firmware upgrade, be aware that if left to Auto Power Off, the Aurora simply goes into hibernation mode and continues to drain the battery. refer:

Aurora A9 Warning Alarms Battery types, voltage levels and consumption - with Power/Battery Management Screen Shots. CAUTION - Leave Auto Power Off as "Never" when using Lipo Battery. "Auto Power Off" is Hibernation Mode only (as with laptops). TX Does Not Switch Completely OFF and batteries will be completely drained if TX switch is not manually moved to the off position in good time. Will read as 'Auto Hibernation mode' with next update. As with all similar items, Hitec RCD recommend battery be removed and stored separately if TX is to be stored or unused for a period.
Suggest you try the original battery after noting:
Aurora A9 - Battery is not charged. Charge before first use so as not to damage battery.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 PM
MikeMayberry

Radios arrived... have been QC'd... and started shipping!

Mike.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 AM
orcrest

"AT" The radio was definitely physically switched off.

I charged the radio for 24hrs on the wall charger and got 9.0V. I then left the radio switched off for 24hrs and got the result I am describing. Have just charged the original NiMh battery and will see if it does the same.

I will then try your suggestion of a very slow charge and see if that "conditions" the battery, although they are sanyo eneloops and shold have been right to go straight away.

Will see what happens.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Try the original pack also. Either should last for months with power off. So either the tx is drawing current or that pack is not good. Use the original pack to prove which it is. (Which I now have read will be your next step! We are a lot of help at times aren't we?)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 AM
AJsToyz

Can you say Sweet!? [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Chancho

Orcrest,
Are you sure you had a dozen charges or cycles on your batteries?I’ve witnessed several times where new batteries in the NiCd and NiMH flavor do not like to take an initial charge with the wall chargers or give a false sense of the cells being charged, either by the cell or in a pack.Typically the cells like to be “woken up” from their virgin-factory state and cycled a few times starting with low .1 amp trickle then gradually working your way up to a more aggressive charge rate. Believe it or not, but even the common advertised .15 - .4 amps wall charger may be too strong for a packs initial charge. And these wall chargers are cheaply made and voltages and currents will and dovary.Regardless, after several cycles the cells should take near their rated current.And regardless of what current you used to charge the cells, within reason, the cells will show the charge voltage when taken off the charger, regardless the charged state someone may believe by seeing that the pack is at a specific voltage may mean that they are charged, but in fact they may not be.Unless you’re using a computer charger you can never know with any reasonable certainty how much current the cells actually absorbed. And the Envelope chemistry is not the same as what came with the radio.Actually all batteries even in the same chemistry of functionality have their specific-"secret" formula, etc. They may work with the wall charger, but the wall charger that came with the radio was specifically designed to work with the batteries that came with the unit.
It amazes me that several of us in this hobby spend hundreds and thousands on all their radio, planes, etc..but they’ll trust this investment with a wall charger.There’s no way I’d trust any of my equipment in the air on a new battery or a battery that has more than a month on it unless I’ve cycled it on a computerized battery charger that you can probably pick up for $60 on the low end.
Hitec put the wall charger in the box to make the kit functional as a bare bones starting point.I don’t blame them for putting low capacity batteries in the kit, either.I am certain that they are “Quality” batteries that will get you thru enough flights. And I certainly don’t wont to absorb a cost in buying the radio if they offered a higher quality battery because I’ll be switching the batteries to my battery of choice, anyhow.They did, however, do a wonderful and unprecedented job with the flexibility that the user can pick his voltage or cells in his transmitter or receivers. The only real improvement they could have done is offered a charged jack bypass from the radio protection circuit so that we can cycle our batteries through the charge port.But isn’t that getting picky?I want to believe thought, that Mike and others read this thread and will take all these wants and desires into the next design. This Radio is just totally revolutionary to this hobby.
Great news from Mike today with hisQ/C in process.I have three planes gutted and waiting their Hitec transplants since Nov.I’ve had a few chances to go out flying with sunny conditions, reasonable temperatures and no wind.However I refuse to fly with my Futaba gear now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.