Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF

As the US distributer for Alfa Models, Hobby Lobby will carry ALL of Alfa's models. The FW-190 will be one of them. When it becomes available we will have it on the site.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:03 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Alpha and hobby Lobby , but for the cost , I can get a GWS Corsair for $59, then add a Brushless motor and speed control, Liplos, scale paint theme and have a great flying plane with tons of power for about the same cost . For years i only flew Hobby Lobby, i tried one GWS tiger moth and was hooked. I could not believe the great fligh performance on such an inexpensive plane . I had spent the past five years fiddeling with (Scorpio Bi Planes from Hobby Lobby).They were nice planes but the cost to benift was not worth it in the end .
Most GWS are underpowered but with a gear change or motor hop up you can really get a great flying plane for less.
They will be launching a P40 soon after ther two new Jet releases. Its pictured on there main web site in at the Toy show Photos .
Old 03-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Cubano8

I love my Alfa Corsair it is a beautiful plane and it flys very nice. I flew it this morning, and I also maiden my LA-7 too.
here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13400.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	111303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16812.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	111304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18782.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	111305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97376.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	111306  
Old 03-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Cubano8

Oh, by the way. I forgot to mention that my Alfa Corsair kit did not come with the Pappy Boyinton "Lulubelle". I created the decals for it and repainted the model accordingly.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:56 PM
LDM

Nice paint job , are you useing regular cells or Lipoly? The planes look great , good luck
Old 03-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Cubano8

Thanks LDM,

I'm using 3s Thunder lipo packs on most of my planes, with brushless motors. I like to keep my battery setup the same in all my models so I can swap them around in my planes. I usually don't fly them all at once (10). I carry maybe 4 or 5 to the field at one time. I also keep the WOT current draw to under 12amps (recommeded). I also like the TP because of there weight of 4.6oz, and size. I never had any problems with these batterys as far as charging them or discharging. I use the Hobbico quick field charger, which allows me to charge 2 at a time.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:17 PM
LDM

Thanks for the info , I did not know there was a quick charger for Lipols?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice photos, Cubano! I like your model scheme too.

You can view more information on the Hobbico Quick Field Charger [link=http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html]here[/link].
Old 03-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Greg Covey

Here are some photos of the linkage on my Alfa Corsair ARF.

Since the control rod linkage is already run and hooked up to the elevator and ailerons, you simply install the servo and connect the rods using the supplied quick links.

The aileron control rods are thin so you need to run them through a small piece of supplied tubing before tighening the quick link.

Name:	Zx72598.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	111710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89600.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	111711  
Old 03-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Cubano8

LDM,

The Hobbico quick field charger is just the name. It doesn't charge your LiPo's quickly. In my case I am using TP 3s 2100mah, it takes 2 hours to charge one battery, If it was discharged. It charges at 1 amp. Now I have 2 of those chargers so I could charge 4 battery's in 2 hours. It also requires an external 12vdc power source. If you do go the Lipo way, I suggest you read alot about charging and especially discharging, care of the battery, max discharge amps, what type of charger is very Important. There are limited chargers out there that can charge Lipo's. AND There are chargers that say they charge Lipo's but do not charge them correctly. So far that Hobbico has worked out great for me.

Lots of luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Woody 51

Cubano,

What's your verdict on the Alfa LA7?

I just ordered the Alfa FW TA183 D/F and am waiting for their new FW-190 to hit the market place.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Cubano8

I have 4 flights total on the Alfa LA-7. She is a nice flyer. When I maidened her she needed about 8 clicks of down elevator, for level flight. Upon release she darted straight up didn't have quite the speed and she stalled, left wing dropped , I brought the nose down to get air speed, leveled wings, broke the stall, and climbed out to the right. WHEW!!, all this took place in less than 3 secs. One of those "What was that". [X(] I did readjust the elevator on the rest of the flights, and she flys great. You do have to be carefull with this one, it does snap roll when you put her in a tight loop or turn, but if you are not too aggressive with her in your flying , you should be fine.
I haven't flown her , because of the high winds here in S. FLA. Maybe tomorrow if the winds will settle down.

The 1st pic is of the recovered stall, as I was climbing out to the right. Sorry its kinda blurry.

The 2nd and 3rd are flight pics.

the 4th is of the landing. She is a very smooth landing plane, just as my Alfa Corsair is too.

Name:	Db86284.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	116046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24538.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	116047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15555.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	116048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28464.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	116049  
Old 03-29-2004, 04:05 AM
Woody 51

Thanks Cubano,

Great pics and helpful advice.

I note that Alfa actually warn about the snap/stalling characterisitcs of this model in their instructions.

You've got a great flying field. After our summer, my F/Field is now a dust bowl!
(That's why I'm not flying power at present. The dust and dirt just screws up the engine internals.)
Old 03-30-2004, 05:02 PM
watt_the!

man..5 replies since my reply....my question has been answered.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Woody 51

Post deleted by Woody 51
Old 04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Bill G

I installed a brushless max motor in an Alfa LA
Old 04-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Bill G

I installed a brushless Max 4100 motor in an Alfa LA-7. Wattage makes a 3.67 gearbox, which will screw mount to the Max motor. The cowl requires gluing in a piece of ply to accomodate the slightly smaller screw pattern, but it otherwise fits well. The Wattage gearbox will mount GWS props, and still use the Alfa spinner. Total weight with Li-po is 12.5 oz.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:33 AM
JPC

Default RE: Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF - for WOODY 51

Woody 51,
Hi - I'm a fellow Aussie, Live in Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula.
Tried to email you via the RC Universe forums without luck.

I am keen to get hold of an alfa foamie or 2 but can't find a local reseller.
Where do you get yours?

I'd be grateful to know. I've got a couple of GWS foamies on brushless conversions.
They are ballistic, but wear out / break up with use (even a smooth landing takes it's toll).

Thanks, hope you can help

PS - Have you seen the S & B EPP foamies from QLD. Look OK to me
Old 05-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Default Ventilation necessary?

Hellooooo!!!

I just finished putting my Alfa F4U together. This is my first electric, and I was wondering if there needs to be any kind of ventilation to the motor. I'm using the Grapner Speed 300 6V, with a MP Jet 5:1 gearbox, and a 950 mah 8-cell Nimh pack with APC slo fly 9x6. The cowl doesn't seem to have any type of ventilation holes in it, but the engine is suspended by the gearbox, and not touching anything inside the fuse. Do I need to modify this rig somehow?

Dan
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Greg Covey

Default RE: Ventilation necessary?

Dan,

Yes indeed! It's rather funny but I just flew my Corsair on a warm day for the first time using a new Kokam 2-cell 1500mAh pack so it flew for a very long time! Previously, all my flights were in the Winter over snow and ice.

When I landed, I stuck my finger inside the fuselage to feel the motor and almost burned it from the hot metal! I have since carved slots in the plastic radial cowl for air input. For an air exit, I cut a 1" wide by 2" long hole in the bottom of the fuselage about 2/3 length back from the nose. By painting the exposed foam black, you can hardly see the opening.

My 2-cell Kokam 1500 pack worked much better than the 2-cell Kokam 1200 pack that I used in my review. This is because the 1500 pack can deliver 12amps continuous compared to the 6amps for the 1200mAh pack. When using the 3-blade 9x7 prop, the plane has fantastic power for a geared Speed 300 motor!

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:00 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Default Receiver Location?

Greg,
How did you position the receiver in your Corsair? If you use the box as a carrying case, this requires easy access to the receiver to unplug the aileron servo prior to removing the wing for transport (and, of course, for re-assembly). I'm contemplating attaching it to the inside of the fuselage with velcro. Then one can readily detatch the receiver for accessing the aileron servo plug. I'm using NiMH's so I won't have the room afjacent to the battery like you do in your pictures. Any other ideas?
Carlton Campbell
Old 05-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Receiver Location?

What receiver are you using? I am using a Hitec electron 6, and have put velcro on the bottom. It sits right next to my NiMH 950mah pack, which is also velcroed down to the wood in the compartment. It's not a super tight fit either.

Greg,
I called Kirk Massey of new creations R/C, and asked him about the venting, the answer was, it will help, however they have not heard of any problems as of yet. So I set out to vent the cowl, and the exhaust looking round on the fuse just aft of the cowl. Here's what I came up with. I plan to touch up the area with some paint. So far so good.

Name:	Tr50100.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	135637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82560.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	135638  
Old 05-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Greg Covey

Default RE: Receiver Location?

Carlton,

I placed the receiver per the manual or drawing just behind the hatch. Granted, I don't take my wing off...and when I did to re-adjust the ailerons after increasing the throw range, I left the aileron servo connected. You can simply use a 12" servo extension cable and easily dissconnect it that way.

I'm using the inner control horn holes on my ailerons. Since I don't have a rudder, my roll rate needed to be increased to prevent dropping.

Cap,

That's a good idea! If you re-paint the exposed areas with a black touch-up water-based acrylic, you'll never see the holes.

Hey, where's your scale 3-blade prop?!

This weekend we have a local club fly-in for Memorial Day so i'll try to get some photos of my Alfa Corsair next to my bigger Hangar 9 Corsair. Both planes fly great!
Old 05-24-2004, 08:22 PM
the Swamp Fox
My Feedback: (1)

Default Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF

Hey all,

Nice review Greg !

keep up the good work and happy flying!

-SF
--------Ramblings--------------------------

I received my kit as soon as it was available from HL.
I maidened on 12-30-03

Logged 150+ flights on this little gal since then on various combos.
1.speed 300 8cell nmh nice performer
2.mpj 25/25 2s1p Tanic 1500 scale-like and very light, fun for low-level patrols.
3. mpj 25/35 3s1p Tanic 1500 too heavy imo, above ALFA spec weight
4. AXI 2212/20 3s1p Tanic 1500 Oh yes... hang on... A real screamer

The axi conversion link posted here was for a FSK .

with the addition of the radial mount set these motors are a drop in fit for Alfas
I own the '47 ,F4U ,'51 and FW190

1. 3 are powered with the AXI 2212/20 Tanic 3s1500 aeronaut 8.5x6 glass
Wattmeter gives us 177w+ @ 16.1a
Motor is never even warm.
we are below ALFA max spec. weight

2.Cooling is mentioned in ALFA literature. A pushrod guide cover makes a nice "exhaust" under the fuse aft the wing. Intake is as mentioned here by cutting away a little of the plastic cowl.Exhaust should handle roughly double the intake volume to avoid pressure build-up in the fuse.Might blow your hatch or canopy off

3. geared MPJ motors, of which I have 5 ,run hot no matter what. I am @ sea-level in the South however.Your results may vary.

4. New mpj outrunners are now available and are great economical( brushless) options for ALFA models.There have been a couple of reports of mounts bending on those "not-so -perfect" landings.

5. Careful of that elevator assembly, It is all too common for one side(non-control horn) to have a bit of play as the halves are only connected with a short wodden peg.If your model won't pull a clean loop you probably have this isssue.Check it.

6. Control rod bowdens should be checked and secured at both contact points.When/if these slip the model will begin to bank...you will try to apply opposite trim with no effect.Not good.It has happened.Land ASAP.

7. Never leave it in the car. Pressure and temp changes can cause the wing or elevator to literally explode. This can ,and has happened . Check all LE seams regularly. The Corsair and 190 have a Styrene reinforced LE on the wing.The '51 and '47 do not.

8. I prefer to have the elevator servo control arm facing outwards.
No danger of the pack shifting in a high G situation and binding the servo.Not good.

Alfa models are the finest flying small scale foam warbirds around in my opinon...
I'm still trying to fly a plane that's better in the air.Really.
My current favorite is the FW190 .Some nice refinements : more styrene,great hatch
and more detailing.Not to mention it is even MORE stable than the Corsair ,a bit larger and quite beautiful.

Good luck all!
-SF
Old 05-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Woody 51

Default RE: Alfa Models F4U-1 Corsair ARF - for WOODY 51

JPC
I just e-mailed you via the forum. Hope you got it. Let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.