Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Home Built Foamies

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:08 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Home Built Foamies

Rick

To get the weight the same in balsa would require a sheet of balsa of such a low density it would be too soft and would susstain damage easily. building out of 6mm depron as opposed to 3mm depron would double the weight, its best I think to build out of the same as before and reinforce the LE and TE with carbon strip not dissimilar to the shock flyers, either that or a carbon spar through the middle of the wing and one each in the tail booms, belt and braces the one in the tail boom overlapped with the wing spar and figuer of eight lashed to each other with kevlar thread and epoxy. Just an idea?

Mike
Old 02-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

Sorry to hear that your plane exploded. I guess if you are going to go down, you may as well go down due to extreme speed! I am sure that the next one will be even better. I like the carbon fiber idea. The stuff is amazingly light and sturdy. The hydrofoams look like a blast. One of those is definately on my wish list.

Adam
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
nrichardz

Thanks for the recommondations mike I am going to work on another one and reinforce it a lot more than the last I did have carbon fiber rods on the leading edge of the wing and elevator looking at the pieces more last night I think that I stress cracked the foam and then it just came apart but I already have more Ideas for the next one because I will try it again I am hooked on this speed thing now I got 2 new planes today that I am going to try and have built this week so I can fly them this weekend I am still slowley working on the pitts and have not even started the b29 or the cap but I am going to start them soon and will try to do threads with pictures on both but anyway I got that great planes helcat combat plane today wont be too bad to build it is a wide profile foamy but all the feedback I have found on them is they fly great and fast should be fun and the other one is a ultrafly su 27 pusher I am hooked on this speed thing will let you know how the builds go

Rick
Old 02-21-2006, 05:47 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

I have the SU27 and its not as good as the PC9 even with the ultrafly outrunner its a slouch compared to the PC9, I have given up on it as I do not think its worth spennding money on, this goes for the F16 as well. Maybe one day I will have a go at both, but I have lost interest in them.

I flew the YAK at the weekend, its a fast and very manouverable craft, its almost as fast as my Seagull PC9, certainly in a dive its as fast, but then its heavy compared especially with the 10onz of lead in the nose. I am waiting for the Pitts silencer I have orderd but its seems to be a problem getting it at the moment, this stops me completing the front cowl and I do not like flying without it, it just does not look good.

Mike
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 AM
nrichardz

Mike that is good to know about the su27 I think now I will take it back and get something else I want to see some pictures of your pitts maybe it will help me with mine I am glad that your yak flew well I will let you know what I get at the hobby shop I am almost finished with the combat hellcat and I just started on it last night will post some pictures soon

Rick
Old 02-22-2006, 06:39 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

short note as I am trying to format the hard disc on my laptop.

I havn't got a Pitts its a Pitts style silencer I am waiting for, it enables the silencer to be enclosed in the cowl with only two pipes sticking out the bottom by the firewall.

Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
nrichardz

O.k mike sorry I miss understood you here are some pictures of my new combat hellcat I think it is going to be a good one only pulling 12 amps at 126 watts with a 10x4.5 prop (recommended) so it should be pretty good plane it only weighs about 15 oz I took the su27 back and now I am looking for another pusher plane any recommondations the LHS has a couple a wattage mirage and a multiplex micro jet I want to put that 4100 kv motor in something on direct drive so it will scream anyway will talk to you soon

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42814.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	414108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31245.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	414109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34271.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	414110  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 PM
BaldEagel

Rick

That a fun plane I think I will have to design one for myself, perhaps something of british heritage not a spitfire they are as boring as the mustang must be to you.

I am going to update my F16 too something of a screamer will have to find a suitable engine looking at the Mega motors at the moment will let you know what I decide.

Mike
Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 AM
nrichardz

well mike here is a suprise for the week it is a wattage mirage AUW is 16 oz pulling 16 amps with the 4100kv motor direct drive with 145 watts of thrust with a 6x3 prop should be a good one will let you know how it does (Laurie and I have to postpone our trip to England until next year her sister has been in the hospital and now is going to have to be taken care of so we have to push the trip back so it has been pretty stressful around for the last week but am going to try and fly today just to relax a little) talk to you soon

Rick

Name:	Gd93884.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	415250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29921.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	415251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40879.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	415252  
Old 02-26-2006, 08:32 AM
nrichardz

Mike flew both new planes yesterday and both of them flew perfectly the hellcat is extremely manuverable and will even do some 3D manuvers very agile and loops and rolls great it has a fully semetrical wing and makes it more agile and stronger than a flat foam plane and that 0980 outrunner was a good match for it and the mirage all I can say about that one is rocket it shoots out of your hand and is very fast but yet is pretty stable rolls are tight and you talk about going vertical will go as long as you can keep it pointed to the sky mike have a question though the battery I putin it is a kokam 1500 3 cell with a 10 c discharge rate and it gets a little warm is that 4100kv motor pulling 16 amps on that 6x3 too much for that battery it is not getting hot just a little warm

Rick
Old 02-27-2006, 06:09 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Love the Mirage it looks great, I have two delta's myself, the problem with them is the limited manouvres with them but they are always fun at WOT.

On the battery pulling 16amps from a 1500mAh battery at 10c is right on the limit of the battery so it is working hard, its like all things in life if you work them at maximum capacity they will not last as long as they would if you worked them at half capacity.
The latest LiPo cells are in the 20C range and obviously would not be working as hard, Kokam's are now old hat in battery discharge capacity, but there again are cheap, whilst you will not harm the battery at this discharge rate it will not do it any good, I assume you checked the discharge stationary, in which case the prop will unload somewhat in flight and draw a little less than the 16amps but it is on the limit. So don't worry too much.

Sorry to hear about Laurie's sister hope its nothing too serious, don't worry about the trip next year will be fine.

Mike
Old 02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
nrichardz

Hey mike you online still I am pretty happy with both the hellcat and mirage thanks for the advice on the battery the plane flies great right now so I think I will just fly it until that battery wears out and get a thunder power for it with the 20 c discharge rate It has just been a different experience with a plane that handles like this one it is very responsive even with 50% expo on it all my other planes fly great at about 30% expo and this one needed so much more as far as lauries sister she is still in the hospital she is on a ventilator because her muscles in her lungs are not functioning at this point so time will tell if it is going to get better or not

Rick
Old 02-28-2006, 08:52 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

There have been some quality issues with Thunder Power batteries over here in the Uk, the Flight Power (Duralite) batteries seem to be more reliable. Glad your pleased with the Mirage, its a different type of flying with a delta they are so much cleaner and quicker to respond that conventional laid out planes the great thing about them is there benign stall charicteristics, hard to get them to stall at all and they deffinatly will not spin. Good fun.

Wish Laurie and her sister well for me, I will be thinking of them.

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
nrichardz

Thanks mike I have had very good luck with the thunder power batteries but I have also been trying a couple of new ones I have looked for the duralite batteries before and here they are pretty hard to find I have a couple of the apex batteries for my mini ultra stick and they seem to be holding up pretty well I will tell laurie that you are thinking of them laurie will be happy to hear that it has been pretty tough here the last week or so but hopefully things will get better all we can do is pray that things will turn around thanks again mike
Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 AM
nrichardz

yeah mike I know what you mean about the spins I have been trying to learn how to do a flat spin with some of my other planes but can't get it down I know you statr them into it with rudder and when I do the plane just doesn.t want to spin

been dealing with another issue too I bought a jr 6 channel reciever and have had nothing but problems with it I have talked to horizon hobby and no help there it works fine until you give the plane full left aileron then the plane starts glitching all over the place and it increases the throttle It frustrates me that I spent 50.00 on this reciever and it seems useless except for bench testing everyone has told me stay away from the gws recievers and I have 4 or 5 of them and have never had a problem and now that I buy a more expensive reciever it is nothing but problems do you have any ideas why it would do this

Rick
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

JR have been around for a long time and should be as relible as Futabe, however first check the servo's dissconnect all, put one servo in and check, take out that servo and put in another etc: then try them in a differnt channel. after you have done all that check the cyrstal by replacement, only way to check it I'm afraid. I must admit I also have had problems with GWS receivers and now will not use them, I only use Futaba and Weston UK on everything, the main reason for using Weston Uk is I know the owner and he gives me good service.

If the plane you are trying to spin can take a more rearward cofg that will help it spin, the plane needs to be fully stalled to enter a spin and the rearward cofg will help it get flat. Try a fast hammerhead stall with no power before putting on rudder and perhaps a little aileron to enter the spin, take off the aileron keep the elevator up, that should give you a true spin, to get it to go flat you need to experiment with the controls to see what works with that plane, on my YAK I give oposite aileron and rudder and power, full down and it inverts and spins like a whirling dervish (modern parlance is Blender) the first time it happend it scared the Life out of me, but recovered as soon as I certralised everything. Exciting and adrenaline is definatly brown.

Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 11:58 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

I am going to start building a foam PC21 if you are interested, I suppose I could put it on this site as a build project what do you think?

It will have a foam cut wing and built up fus out of depron, I have found a way of bending the depron to make a rounded profile for the fus, it will be similar to the construction of the Ultrafly PC9 except for the fus, may be interesting. I may prove a protatype in balsa first?

MIke
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 PM
diablo 2002

Here is my homebuilt. Its a school project for design and technology. Its on a standard shocky setup (axi 2208/34). Havent flown it yet, need it marked

Name:	Mk25645.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	417998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12109.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	417999  
Old 03-02-2006, 12:28 PM
BaldEagel

diablo 2002

How much does it weigh?

Mike
Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM
nrichardz

Mike thanks for the help I will try that with the reciever and see if I can narrow it down the guy from horizon said that I should send it in and have it serviced so maybe I need to just do that and see what they say about it it is funny about the gws recievers because I have heard a lot of people say that they are questionable but I have had no problems with them at all I would love to see you do a build on this site with the PC 21 It would be great I finally got all the bugs out of my hotwire foam cutter and am going to start some projects with it so tell me even though I am new to the homebuilt thing should I start a thread to on building and cutting with foam let me know good news on lauries sister mike all the tubes came out yesterday and she is sitting up now and talking should be comming home in a week or so

Rick

Diablo 2002 the plane looks great I too would like to know the specs on it weight and things like that from the looks of it it should fly very well GOOD JOB

Rick
Old 03-03-2006, 06:07 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Good news on Lauries sister, I'm pleased for you both.

Yes start a thread on foam cutting, it would be good to see, its too easy for someone with experience to do it, it would make a very interesting thread IMO.

Will start the P21 thread sometime next week

Mike
Old 03-04-2006, 05:34 AM
nrichardz

Mike I will get a thread going in the next week on foam cutting I think I have all the bugs out of everything now the bow is ready and I finally got the power supply worked out it seems to work best at 12 volts and 2 amps I have had to change the wire a couple of times already because of too many amps and the wire was distorting at 2 amps it heats up perfect for cutting I need to find a plane that looks good and then I will get started

It again has been up and down with lauries sister so it looks like we will be going back to California in the next couple of weeks again to see her as I said a couple of days ago she is off of all the tubes and is breathing on her own but now is having hallucinations and the doctors think that it is due to her brain not getting enough oxygen so time will tell

Rick
Old 03-04-2006, 06:33 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Have you tried putting a low voltage domestic light dimmer in the circuit, thats what I use it gives infinate adjustment to the temp of the wire. Try it they are not expensive, for a wing profile why not make up some airfoil sections based on the PC9, nice short wing and an easy cut.

What can I say good luck sounds inappropriate for someone thats ill, but I wish you and yours well as always.

Mike
Old 03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Gentlemen,

Haven't clicked on to this thread in a few weeks. First let me say, hope all is well with lauries sister. As all consuming as rc airplanes can be, they take a back seat to real life family situations when they come up. Family takes priority over everything!

Love to hear of all of your success and love the new purchase. Thunder Power has been good to me, and I am having great luck with all of my cells. Duralite, based on Mike's recommendations, is definately going to be a battery to try in the very near future.

Mike, I am looking forward to your P21 thread.

Adam G

Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Nitro66612
My Feedback: (1)

This is something I'm planing on building

Name:	Zw69669.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	420989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30884.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	420990  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.