Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fun with Flat Foam

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:03 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun with Flat Foam

3-D Foamy has some great plans, I have been throwing some ideas around and finnaly came up with one that I designed and am going to build, BUT after looking at their planes I decided to build the F-15 first. I think I'm going to make it with EDF power using EDF 55 and 300 motors, might have to scale it up a bit to get them to fit but we will see once I put the tiles together. Always liked the F-15 and F-18 jets so I got to build one
Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
ntjp2005

I will PM them to you in the next day or 2. Don't know if you have seen this site yet - http://www.qnet.com/~skif/rcmain.html It is by Foam Flyer. He has a lot of good info on building. Take a look if you have not seen it. I have several sites booked marked on free plans for foam type planes. If you want them I will list them. I have been building a F-15 Jet for the past month. Not to fly but to learn about building.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
five-string

AJ,

A jet, eh? You never stop. Anxious to see what you come up with.

The gear and shafts you gave me fit perfectly on the 350 motor.

I am going to place an order with Tower Hobbies so you don't have to get me anything else from your LHS. I'm making plans for my next build now since I have a few extra parts available from the Cub, may he rest in pieces. I kill me!

ntjp, thanks in advance for the decal designs. No use in me reinventing the wheel. Love those graphics!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
AJ1202

String, did I miss something, rest in peices??? I have got to stop looking at all these sites with plans for building planes. It just feeds my addiction, I just can't help myself. I think I'll do the F-15 then build the design I came up with and then just fly everything for a while. New plane is gonna be called "Stalker X1" hope the name fits. I should be able to start on F-15 tonight, at least get templates put together and cut out, I will have to work on mods right away to fit 2 EDF 55's in the fuse and reconfigure intakes to allow proper air flow. This will be a fun project, I have dropped the twin boom SO build way back, man I'm gonna run out of FFF soon at this rate

ntjp, how about some pics of you F-15, I'd like to see how your coming along with it, are you following the plans to the T or playing with them some. good plane to work on learning about building as it's more intricate than a normal flat design, I'm building it first because I too want to learn about building this type because it is very simular to the plane I have designed, at least in the fuse and wing config
Old 03-01-2006, 04:54 PM
five-string

Ace,

Well, here's the low-down on my Cub. It's history. I went 'flying' this morning. only to crash and burn before getting fully airborn. That's the part that really makes me mad. Never got to experience the 400 motor befor it crashed. The whole reason is I switched back to the stock radio so I could use my newer stuff in the Nasty, got confused on controls and lost it. It broke into maybe a dozen pieces. I picked it up and threw the whole mess in the pickup and came home and ripped the elecs and horns, rods, etc out of it and threw the foam in the trash.

Good news is I guess Wife felt sorry for me and opened up the wallet enough for me to get another rx (6 ch) and a few other goodies to complete another plane. So the stock Cub stuff is going into storage till the boy wants to build his first one. I'll start him on the 3 channel.

Now, on to brighter things....what do I want to build next....
Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 PM
ntjp2005

AJ,
I will have to take some pics. I am trying to follow to the "T". Working on the F-15 slowly as I keep building other things. Replace what I crash. I am great at this flying thing. I crash perfect. I had just saw a link for a new plane called JINKS. It was unreal. Never seen anything like it before. I have to try and figure out how to use the design in something to build.

five-string
Keep the wife.... I am not as lucky... She does not like the time or money I spend on this hobby. However, to my suprise, she and her mother spent over 300 bucks on it for Christmas. Maybe she is coming around.

I had it made... Have a shop built into my house--- can fly in back of the house --- Wife sold house now moving to town. Thats life.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
five-string

I like the looks and function of a couple VTO (vertical take off) planes I've d/l'ed plans of but one plan had it written right on the design sheet "not for beginners" As my day of flying was 0 for 2 (crashed my Commander and pulverized the Cub ), I am almost afraid to build it, but it looks so darned easy to make. Hey what's a piece of foam cost, anyway? I think I'll go for it.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

ok ive printed the plans/build guide.. looks straight forward.. here are a few questions... at home depot they have FFF but its pink... 1/4in thick folded over its 1/2in... is this the right size? ill see what lowes has b/c HD has it for $35.70 for 50ft.....also i want full 3-d...if i use my rimfire ill use my 900mah 3s lipo or may move up to 1000-1100 i want to keep the weight down... last thing.. by looking at the plans what makes this thing bounce off the ground and stay in one piece to fly again?... feel free to email me i hope to start this weekend

chris
[email protected]
Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
ntjp2005

I first started to build the VTO myself. Looks easy to build. I went for the Edge 540. It was easy to build. As for the "not for the beginners" I think that is a true statement. However I am in to this hobby for the FUN of it. I really enjoy building the FFF planes. I have built 5 in the last 2 months..... After building one I was able build the same one in 3 or 4 hours. I figure I have about $2 lost in each crashed plane. All the other parts I can reuse. Lowes carries the Blue Core fan fold foam. 50 feet is just over $30.00. One sheet will build a 40" wing plane. The main thing is have Fun. I always pull out my slow stick and fly it after a crash. Makes me feel like I know how to fly.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
five-string

Chris,

Yes, you have the right stuff in mind. Some of it is blue, some pink, according to mfgr. ¼" thick, about 25 folds in a pack. Hey, that's 25 airplanes for $35. Not bad.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 AM
AJ1202

Hey guys here's a little sneak peak at the Stalker X1, now keep in mind I suck at using paint program on comp, fortunatly I'm a little better at building the actual plane
Never mind, had probs loading pic, I'll try it again later [:@]
OK I think I got it now

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ay73535.pdf (25.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 PM
five-string

...blue foam flying all over the house........

.......the sound of packing tape being ripped from the roll.....

....an occasional expletive................

....shouts of, "Honey, where's that new pack of razor blades I just bought!?"...............
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

^^^^

that sums up what will be going on at my house this weekend... alot more cussing and a budlight or 12[X(]
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 PM
AJ1202

Man I sure wish I could join in on the fun this weekend, BUT I have to help move mominlaw to a new home, I'm hoping to get a little time on the F-15 tomorrow night after work but I'm not very optimistic about it. I did get all the templates cut out. You guys when you think it's time to stop... make just one more cut or tape one more peice for me OK
Got the new lipo in yesterday, still waiting on safety gaurd and lipo ESC switch, hope to see it today or tomorrow, I want to maiden the new Nasty
Mark, I haven't forgot about the ESC, I'll get to it for ya, I can't beleive you trashed the Cub, hehe, not really, I trashed my first one

ntjp, did you have trouble aligning the tiles for the F-15, it took me 2 hrs to get them aligned and cut out [:@] nothing wanted to line up right, when I d/l the plans it downloaded 2 sets of plans both different and both 25 pages long, I've only put together 1 set and cut them out, not sure what the other set it for. the tiles made 1 real big poster once put together. I finnaly got it together and with a little magic marker to connect the lines and packing tape I now have a nice set of templates, I guess I'll have to put the other set together to see what they are for
Well have fun and watch those sharp objects
Hey wait what did you think of the Stalker X1 or could you get it to open
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
five-string

AJ, I see an outline of a jet that looks like it belongs on star wars.

Chris, put the razor blades away before you count too high on your way to twelve...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:36 PM
AJ1202

Yep
Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
ntjp2005

AJ
I got my plans from 3dfoamy.com I cut them out put them on the Foam and then taped them in place before cutting. I had to use 2 sheet of foam. Mine was 25 pages also before I taped them together. I most likely won't be flying or building for a while. Have to pack the house up for the move. Going to miss it. I will try to get pics of the F-15 before I get it packed. It takes some time to get together. I had prob understanding instructions. I got them from 3dfoamy also. Good luck on your build. It is not easy, takes alot of dry time for the glue. I am ready to put the main wing on. Not sure where some of the parts I cut out go????

everyone
Anyone see the JINKS yet?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

the tiles... do you butt the pages together or make the lines line up??

searching tower tonight for another motor as well.. i have $210 in account credit....g/f will neeeeever know that i added a few bucks as well[X(]
Old 03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
ntjp2005

Chris
I didnt answer AJs question very well. When you print out the plans they print out on 25 sheets. You then have to cut them and tape them together to make one big plan. The problem AJ had is the printing on the sheets do not line up to give clean lines for the plane. I too had a little problem. I had only used small strips of 1/2" tape to put the sheets together.. i had to pull some of them lose and realign to get them to work. I used the lines of the plane to line up and overlaped the sheets, not butting the sheets. Hope I explained this better.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
ntjp2005

OK Pics
AJ - This is what I have of the F-15. A tip - where the plans say to remove the film...REMOVE the film. I did not... If you have problem I have a tip.

String - This is my last build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20157.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	418906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54619.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	418907  
Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

ntjp thanks man....that helps... here are my motor choices.. anyone have an opinon that has built thhis plane( the nasty)

one of my rimfires [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJTU6&P=0]rimfire[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000768111&I=LXHYK5&P=K]option 1[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000768111&I=LXKHB5&P=K]option2[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000768111&I=LXJVC1&P=K]option 3[/link]

here is the speed control i am using [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLA311B]my esc[/link]
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
ntjp2005

I must have missed what plane you are using the motor in???
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

im doin' the nasty
Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
ntjp2005

If it was me I would most likely go with option 1. Check that the ESC will work. Might go with the one they recomend. I have only used brushed and the RimFire brushless, so I am not up much on this. The other two look like the motor could over heat easly. Just a thought. I want to build the nasty too. I have soooo many I want to build. Got to love the FFF.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
ntjp2005

I just found the link or the plane. It is Jinx, I think I spelled it wrong earlier. Yall have to see this plane. http://www.m-a-e.com/Sub_Pages/Produ...and_Videos.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.