Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Covering your Zagi

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 04:08 PM
jproctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering your Zagi

What type of experience have you had covering your Zagi's? I will be building one in the next week, and wanted to know if covering with Tape (as supplied in the Kit) or covering with Monokote was better? (by the way better means weight vs strength).

Thanks for your input.

-Jon
Old 02-24-2003, 09:49 PM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I have heard of some covering with Monokote, but I don't think it'll give you better performance. Also, one has to be careful when taking the iron to the foam. It can be done, just gotta keep the iron moving.

The tape shipped with the kit is pretty light and I don't think it is meant to provide strength to the airframe. www.fast-pack.com has some pretty good prices and colors to get creative with tape.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:22 PM
RichardS.

My zagi is covered in tape. Before taping it, I spraied it with 3m sticky spray. It makes it stick better. Go with tape- It is easier to repair.

Richard
Old 02-25-2003, 03:20 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

I agree, the tape will do just fine. I put it on mine and ran it into a few things; including straight down into the sidewalk, without a problem.

If you do want to cover it I'd recommend Econokote not Monokote. It needs less heat to stick so you are less likely to melt the foam.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:18 AM
latch66

I used standard Ultracote on my Zagi. It worked great. Looks much better IMHO than the tape.

I do agree though, do not use standard Monokote on a Zagi. The foam cores won't like it much.